Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 08:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Modern Web Browser on a Pentium!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Brandon

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2008, 21:23    Post_subject:  Modern Web Browser on a Pentium!
Sub_title: Its works

I recently got two Pentium MMX 200Mhz systems. They are Compaq Deskpro 2000s, have 32MB of PC100 ram and a 2.1GB Hard Drive. I knew from past experience that with 32MB puppy is too slow and DSL runs decent. But knowing there was a free RAM slot I added a 64MB card to each bringing there RAM upto 96MB. Then Compaq Deskpros seem to like any of my CD Drives. I removed the Hard Drives plugged one into another system to install DCL 2008 and did the same with the second. After getting everything reassembled, it ran! I didn't add swap figuring I would just add physical RAM if I needed it. Usually approx one third of the ram is used (according to conky). They both run about as fast as Windows XP does on the average P4 with Antivirus. Thats with the latest XFCE window manager!! Puppy Linux is sooooo fast!
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb 2008, 07:51    Post_subject:  

No doubt about it, Xfce is a major improvement in speed. Just need to trim a bit of the fat and substitute Opera, now - complaints about its lack of functionality are mostly unfounded as it's just a little different to set up.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum