2.16.1: how to save inkscape file?

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulBx1

2.16.1: how to save inkscape file?

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

I put this in the beginner board because I am a rank beginner on any of this graphics stuff and this is about as lame a question as you could want. :lol:

I tried my very first stick drawing with inkscapelite. I got it done then tried to "save as". It never saved anything.

OK, then I tried a bitmap export. That did save a file, but when I clicked on it in rox mtpaint opened it up. I saw my drawing but superimposed on it was a weird checkerboard pattern of grey squares that, well, did not help legibility. :roll:

What am I doing wrong? Or is inkscapelite just broken in 2.16?

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hiya Paul! :)

Awww, come on! "Lame"? In my 20 years of doing online help I've yet to see a lame question except the unasked question. ;)

I know nuthin' about inkscapelite but I did used to do theming in the Good Ol' Days and I'm gonna take a stab at this: Those grey squares I think you'll find are what make up the "background transparency" of the image. Please, someone correct me if I be wrong, okie?

Memory, if it serves me rightly, is that inkscape is more for doing icon work and stuff of that ilk Paul, hence the transparency.

Of course, like I said, I could be all wet behind/between the ears too. ;) Momma raised a dummy here. LOL!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

PaulBx1

#3 Post by PaulBx1 »

So Eyes-Only, can you save a file in inkscapelite?

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

Seems so about a year or so ago Paul I went through the exact same thing you did, "The Curiosity Phase", when one night I had nothing better to do. ;) I think the only way I could save the file was as a .bmp just as you've done, although I tried several other formats and was pulling out the few remaining hairs that I had until I hit upon the .bmp. :?

Problem here is Paul I have short term and partial long term memory loss, so I'm not being intentionally vague here---this IS the best that I can recall, see? :(

I do know this: Since I no longer theme, and since I noticed this seemed to be mainly for working with graphics used in theming (because of the transparency I'd told you about above) I never touched inkscapelite ever again. However, I always made sure that regardless the distro installed to the computer I had its "Big Brother" installed as well for those "just in case" moments, you know?

It does seem like a terribly difficult programme to use, which is why whenever I have had those "just in case" moments I still tend to go for mtPaint or the GIMP over inkscape(lite).

I guess in all of this rambling Paul it boils down to this: "I've been absolutely no help at all to you, have I?" :(

I apologise for not being able to have helped any more than this my Fellow Puppian Friend!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

HairyWill

#5 Post by HairyWill »

using 3.01
file
save as
set the filetype as plain svg
type in a name (you need to put the .svg on yourself)
OK

note that in 3.01 at least the rox file association isn't set for automatic opening on click
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: 2.16.1: how to save inkscape file?

#6 Post by Lobster »

PaulBx1 wrote: What am I doing wrong? Or is inkscapelite just broken in 2.16?
Could be broken

I seem to remember I would take a screen shot
draw a box around the bit I wanted (in mtpaint
which does the screenshot) and save as jpg or png from mtpaint

hope that is of use. Works OK in later versions - in fact in
the 3.02 Alphas we have the full inkscape

You might like xara too . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XaraLX
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PaulBx1

#7 Post by PaulBx1 »

Will, I am doing exactly that, and no file gets saved. So I will assume it is broken in 2.16. Yet another reason to move to Muppy...
I guess in all of this rambling Paul it boils down to this: "I've been absolutely no help at all to you, have I?"
Au contraire! :) You've pointed out that maybe I am using the wrong program (I don't even know what it means, "to theme"). Now I will try the others you mentioned. All I am really doing is scratching some crude drawings on the screen and emailing it to someone.

Eyes-Only

#8 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hiya Paul :)

Yeah, myself? If I wanted to just make simple images I'd find mtPaint the best for something like that I think, or even the GIMP, despite its large size, as it can always be used for so many other things---from simple drawing, to the making of wallpapers, to complex graphics design, to editing your photos (even to getting them off your camera if you have the proper plugins, etc., though I don't do that).

If you have Puppy 3.0.x and the GSlapt Slackware programme you can install the GIMP straight from the Slacky repository. That's what I did anyway and it installed without a problem. One note though first: I'd make sure that you have PLENTY of room in your pup_save file as it's a massive programme. There are also some .pups and .pets of it floating around, and I think someone has even made a "graphics.sfs" that contains it which is possibly even a better route to go Paul as then it doesn't fill up your pup_save file, see?

As to the subject of "theming": I used to create themes for the browser known as "K-Meleon" (a Gecko-based browser for Windows which is themeable like Firefox/SeaMonkey), along with "GUI themes" for the desktop programme "Aston Shell", which was a substitute for the Windows Explorer desktop (think of it like Explorer being "KDE", "Aston Shell" would be like "Gnome"). Unfortunately I had to give all of this up.

I hope this has helped?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

EDIT #1: DUH! I need to pay more attention here! After I write all of this it dawned on me Paul that you have 2.16.1 for a Puppy---so you may want to look for the "graphics.sfs" as seems so one was made for 2.15 and if so it might work with 2.16.1, okie?
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

Well yesterday I wanted to add some text to a png.
Tried mtpaint, the text can be added, but doesn't stick.
So decided to try inklite.
I can add the text and it sticks, but guess what: I can't save the work done. Haha.
I am in alpha 6, so the problem is still there.

Finished to go back to mtpaint and 'painted' by hand.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

wjaguar

#10 Post by wjaguar »

Béèm wrote:Tried mtpaint, the text can be added, but doesn't stick.
The function in mtPaint is called "Paste Text" for a reason; mtPaint puts the rendered text to its clipboard - to "make it stick", you have to paste it.

Pelo

Screenshot is ok, no

#11 Post by Pelo »

Copie d'écran et le tour est joué ! Does a screenshot solve the problem ?
Yes and no. (untill somebody tells us how to do !

Correct :
save as
Mettre le fichier en format plain svg
Le nommer en lui ajoutant .svg
OK
Oui, et ensuite ???? How to change it to .jpg, png, bmp etc... :evil: :( :? :!:

In time we can hope that most cutting machines will come to support the open SVG format, but for now, Inkscape can also save files in other formats. For cutting machine software that cannot open or import SVG files, you may be able to save an Inkscape file in another format that you can then import for use with your cutting machine. Some common file formats that cutting machines can import and convert are DXF, EPS and PDF files.
If you are saving to DXF, you should ensure that all objects have been converted to paths before proceeding. The easy way to ensure this is to go to Edit > Select All and then Path > Object to Path.
Attachments
inkscape.jpg
(57.23 KiB) Downloaded 77 times