On Pizzapup 3.01 Usbview doesn't work

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Whitesnow

On Pizzapup 3.01 Usbview doesn't work

#1 Post by Whitesnow »

Hello everybody, :)

as write in subject, Usbview (normal pet, patched pet version and source compiled by me) does not run. In console, error is "Segmentation fault" for all version, but patched one. This one starts, but crashes when you click on usb device entry.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

P.S.
How about a new Pizzapup version? :D
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmm... I'll look into it when I get a chance.
How about a new Pizzapup version?
How about an extra six hours to every day? :lol: I want to do one but don't have the time. Depending on what I wind up doing over summer, I might start working on one then.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Whitesnow

Thanks

#3 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi Pizzasgood and thank you for your reply. :)
I love Pizzapup (and pcPuppyOS) ;). Both of them run on my old laptop with only 64 MB of RAM! I added swap, actually.

_Only_ as I like very much your puplets, I asked you for a new version of Pizzapup. :)

Thanks for your great work! :)

I hope to hear from you about Usbview when you'll look in it. :)

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

It's the same problem I was having with Inkscape-lite before. Whenever I tried using it with a GTK theme that used the smooth engine it would die. The simplest solution is to just change back to the boring default theme (Puppy's default, not Pizzapup's). I'm not a big fan of that solution. Instead, you could set it up to use the default theme for usbview only, by replacing the binary with a wrapper.

First, go to /usr/local/bin. Rename usbview to usbview_real and then create a new script named usbview (by right-clicking, going to "new", and choosing "script"). Open it as text and put this inside, then save:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
export GTK_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk/gtkrc
exec /usr/local/bin/usbview_real "$@"
Now it you should be able to use it normally, and it will just ignore whatever theme you're using.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Whitesnow

Tray icon disappears

#5 Post by Whitesnow »

Thank you, Pizzasgood. It works now! :)

I forgot to ask you another thing: why when you minimize an application to tray (Claws-Mail, for example), it disappears instead of showing its icon? To recall, you have to use Menu>Windows.
Maybe, tray of Pizzapup has set on a fix size that does not allow auto-resized like other puplets?

Thanks in advance! :)

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry for the delay. I've been using the "view posts since last visit" button to keep up with things, but it seems to be missing some posts. This was one of the threads it missed.

The tray does work. The problem is that sometimes it just doesn't show an icon for a particular app. If you click around where it should be it should come back up. I don't know if a program can specify its icon automatically (I think they can), but you can specify one manually in the /root/.icewm/winoptions file. Just add a line like this:

Code: Select all

geany.icon: /usr/share/mini-icons/geany.xpm
and replace geany with whichever app you want to set an icon for, then restart IceWM. That should fix it. You might have to do some fiddling to get the app name right though. For example, Firefox uses 'firefox-bin' instead of 'firefox'. It should be the same as whatever shows up in ps.