pdfedit 0.4.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
jcoder24

pdfedit 0.4.1

#1 Post by jcoder24 »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfedit wrote:Free editor for PDF documents. Complete editing of PDF documents is possible with PDFedit.
Homepage http://pdfedit.petricek.net/pdfedit.index_e
Screenshots http://pdfedit.petricek.net/pdfedit.ss_e

Compiled in puppy 3.01 and Requires Qt.
Download here
2.1M/5.9M packaged/installed.
md5sum 14d0529a1e12af3b9381d6f466bd1988
Last edited by jcoder24 on Tue 26 Feb 2008, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Is this compiled in Puppy 3?

I get this in Grafpup 2:
pdfedit: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by pdfedit)

Dingo

#3 Post by Dingo »

Last edited by Dingo on Thu 06 Aug 2009, 22:27, edited 2 times in total.
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

jcoder24

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

This was compiled in puppy 3.01

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#5 Post by Billwho? »

disciple wrote:II get this in Grafpup 2:
pdfedit: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by pdfedit)
Install this dotpup Libstdc++.so.6.0.5.pup and it should solve the problem.
Available at http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/
There may be other mirrors but this is the only one I know for sure has it.

I have just finished installing in a fresh pup_save of 215 CE Alpha and found that as I already have QT3.3.6 installed a symlink in /lib will remove the need to download and install QT3.3.8

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/qt3.3.6/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.6 libqt-mt.so.3
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I am in Puppy Lassie Alpha 1 (Puppy 3.02) but this should apply to 3.01

download and run this pup
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/Qt- ... -local.pup

it will create a directory called
/usr/local/lib/Qt-3.3.4-in-usr-local

which contains a directory called lib
put the files in lib in /lib

add to the above pdfedit download
and it should work (might need to restart x)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

Whenever I've tried that libstdc++ dotpup it has fried my Puppy install.

So I thought I'd have another go at compiling pdfedit for older puppies, since they've fixed the problem we had before. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I end up with:

checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for boostlib >= 1.20.0... yes
checking whether the Boost::IOStreams library is available... yes
configure: error: Could not link against  !
I would've thought that if it can't link against something, it should tell me what... Is this another bug I should report?
Maybe I should post this in a new thread.

jcoder24

#8 Post by jcoder24 »

I had to download and compile boost first. Then pdfedit built successfully. NB Boost is large and takes a while to build.

If you don't succeed, I can try building it over the weekend.

jcoder24

#9 Post by jcoder24 »

Attempts at compiling pdfedit in puppy2 has so far failed. The failure appears to be a version compatibility issue so I'll try an older version and report back..

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

FYI I always had compile problems with older versions (something to do with QT). There was a make error that I filed a bug report for, and they said it was fixed in cvs a couple of days before 0.4.1 came out. I tried compiling from cvs then, and tried 0.4.1 when it came out, and got this new problem. (tried in Grafpup 104 and 2, and can't remember if I tried a Puppy as well).

BTW are you getting a different error from me with 0.4.1? I did think it was a bit dubious using boost from another distro, but I think it's worked for compiling other things

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

Disciple,

encouraged by jcoder24's success, I had a go compiling pdfedit-0.4.1, with pup2.16, and came to exactly the same point that I think you arrived at, as mentioned in a bug report on the pdfedit site:

In member function `void gui::PropertyEditor::setObject(boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>)':
propertyeditor.cc:300: error: no matching function for call to `gui::PropertyEditor::addProperty(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>&)'
propertyeditor.cc:226: note: candidates are: bool gui::PropertyEditor::addProperty(const QString&, boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>)
propertyeditor.cc:181: note:                 void gui::PropertyEditor::addProperty(gui::Property*, boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>)
propertyeditor.cc:320: error: no matching function for call to `gui::PropertyEditor::addProperty(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>&)'
propertyeditor.cc:226: note: candidates are: bool gui::PropertyEditor::addProperty(const QString&, boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>)
propertyeditor.cc:181: note:                 void gui::PropertyEditor::addProperty(gui::Property*, boost::shared_ptr<pdfobjects::IProperty>)
make[2]: *** [.obj/propertyeditor.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/dloads2/pdfedit-0.4.1/pdfedit-0.4.1/src/gui'
make[1]: *** [pdfedit] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/dloads2/pdfedit-0.4.1/pdfedit-0.4.1/src'
make: *** [source] Error 2
In the bug report that you posted, the response suggested that perhaps QT libs weren't compiled to support strings. I've tried compiling boost, downloading already compiled boost, recompiling QT, all to no avail. I think we'll need to wait on the next release, or the one after!

One mystery to me is why do any apps/developers feel the need to use the bloated boost as, everytime I've tried the thing, it's a misnomer! i.e. Boost sucks!

jcoder24

#12 Post by jcoder24 »

Muggins:

That is the error I was getting, can you post the link to the bug report on the pdfedit site?

~~~~~

As for boost being bloated it's kinda yes and no. While trying to get pdfedit compiled I realised that boost should only be bloated for developers but not application users in most cases. The exception is when one (or more) of two (maybe three) specific libraries are included.

For example I've just uploaded qbittorrent and libtorrent which both have boost dependencies. The size of the boost dependencies is ~52K. It is somewhat strange how the boost 'libraries' works but once you get the hang of it you should be fine (compiling). I'll post more info on boost in a separate thread.

~~~~~

Did you recompile qt3 or qt4? If qt4 can you upload a dotpet? This is needed because more and more apps are requiring qt4 (eg skype, GNS3, qbittorrent) and I prefer to save space by using libraries.

Unfortunately the qt4 for dingo is missing the libQtDBus and libQt3Support libraries. libQtDBus is required by skype (dynamic) and libQt3Support I hope should allow opera (and other qt3 apps) to work with qt4.

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

Hey - you're right, it is the same bug. For some reason I didn't actually check it, but thought it was something new as someone was going on about my QT.
http://pdfedit.petricek.net/bt/view.php?id=165

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

I tried recompiling QT3, not QT4.

(From the pdfedit website:
Note: QT3.x is required, editor can't be compiled with QT4.x.
)

But what I'm curious about is where, in the response to your bug report, it's suggested that QT3 might have been compiled without string support. If I knew how to turn off string support in compiling QT3, I could turn it on!
./configure --help offers me know help in turning string OFF/ON.

Hence, I really think that it's a machaevellian Boost problem. I'm sure Boost is very helpful to developers, when things compile as they should.

muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

That is the error I was getting
So, Jcoder24, what did you change/add to get past this error? I think I'm very close to getting the thing compiled, just this one propertyeditor.cc error.

disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

He said that IS the error he's getting.

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

My mistooking! I thought that:
That is the error I was getting
meant he had got beyond that point.

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

You might like to try pdfshuffler as well. I find it a lot better for document assembly type stuff.
Also N.B. there have been quite a lot of good bugfixes and improvements in pdfedit if anyone wants to compile it for puppy. I've been running svn in Cygwin and busily filing bugs :) Sometimes I file them at 7:30 and they're fixed by 11!
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

I've made an 11MB .sfs to make it easy to install pdfshuffler and its dependencies - python, pygtk etc. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45826
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER