TeenPup boot fails

Please post any bugs you have found
BigShpank

TeenPup boot fails

#1 Post by BigShpank »

I have installed Teenpup 2.14 on the hard drive of several computers and really like it. The issues is if the computers powers down unexpectedly or freezes up and has to be hard rebooted it no longer boots to Teenpup. it hangs up on

"no such directory /etc/TZ"

it just sits there and dies.

I am new to linux and i love it. could really use a hand understanding why this is happening.

Cheers

BigShpank

Okay fixed that created new issue

#2 Post by BigShpank »

Okay so I discovered that if you do not set the time zone and the time a system crash hangs you up at the point I initially listed.

Now it hangs me up at

etc/rc.d/rc.local

it goes to prompt : #

So am I missing something here?

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello BigShpank,
When I created TEENpup I didn't change the core of Puppy 2.14, I just built TEENpup on top of it so to speak.
Normally If I boot up TEENpup and it gets to # and doesn't open my desktop I just type xwin and my desktop starts?

I have had the power go off while using TEENpup and when I reboot it later it requires xwin typed in at the # to bring it back to my desktop again.
I've never had any other problems?

Thinking about it, if my installed copy of TEENpup gave that error, I will bootup TEENpup Live and copy /etc/TZ from the Live version of TEENpup into my installed version and reboot hopefully bringing back to life my installed version. I can only assume some how when the power went off /etc/TZ was deleted?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

" I have installed Teenpup 2.14 on the hard drive of several computers and really like it. '

Yes" I recommend JB's version a lot.

Have not come across that error although type '" xwin " seems to be a
Puppy 2.14 thing....memory issues? ...Rudy Puppy does that at first boot as well..

Chris.

BigShpank

Thanks

#5 Post by BigShpank »

It directed me to run xorgwizard to reset the video and then I ran xwin and it came back. I have three teenage daughters here so unexpected shutdowns are common. Teenpup runs great and they really like using it. I am giving copies to all my friends and encouraging them to switch. Can not wait to see the new version.

Just so you know I gave up on microsoft last year and will never go back. The truth is the best does not always get the limelight and big success which is sad.

I am a newbie but dedicated to learning and sharing

Cheers All

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Hello BigShpank,
I think your daughters are going to be very happy when TEENpup 2008 comes out as there are a few extra Apps added that in testing my teenage nieces loved. :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#7 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hello BigSHpank,

Did you fix your /etc/TZ problem? I'm getting the same thng but not on every boot.

I also get the xorgwizard thing and have to type xwin.

The strange thing is that this happens every one or two boots, not every time.

I have had it using the liveCD boot and after installing it to HD.