How to use Belkin 54g and Netgear WG111 USB wifi?

Ordo

How to use Belkin 54g and Netgear WG111 USB wifi?

#1 Post by Ordo »

Hello... I'm having a bit of an issue getting a wireless USB adapter to work on my Puppy Linux for Windows 98, and was wondering if someone would be so kind as to assist a helpless noob such as myself. :lol:

I have two different wireless USB adapters to try:
Belkin 54g (f5d7050)
Netgear WG111v3

I tried following the directions on the wirelesswizard: Ndiswrapper for each... I ndiswrapped rt73.inf, and then rt2500usb.inf for the Belkin, and neither worked. I tried wg111v3.inf for the Netgear, and it too failed to work. When I install any of the aforementioned drivers using ndiswrapper in the xterm window, it says they install. They also show up as installed when I ndiswrapper -l. I modprobe ndiswrapper, and then iwconfig, and I always get the same message regardless of what driver is installed at the time:

Code: Select all

# iwconfig
lo                    no wireless extensions.
I tried running the WAG with each of the drivers in turn, and also got the same results with it, which I figured wouldn't work anyway since the iwconfig came back with no wireless extensions. Here's what I see on my wag:

Code: Select all

not using PCMCIA

no module loaded
dhcpcd not running
wifi-beta not installed

could not find interface in /proc/net/wireless
ap test failure

no wireless networks detected
error when scanning
I've searched for an answer, but most people seem to be able to get their wireless usb adapters to work by using ndiswrapper, so maybe I suffer from epic fail, I don't know. But perhaps someone might be able to help me where I've failed to help myself? It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance! :twisted:
Last edited by Ordo on Wed 16 Jan 2008, 02:14, edited 2 times in total.

Ordo

#2 Post by Ordo »

By the way, The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3000, with a 266mhz processor, 64mb ram, 3.5 floppy drive, a usb port, and a 40 gig hard drive. It runs windows 98se, but is very glitchy... puppy for windows98 works on it, I just need to be able to get online with it. :oops:

[EDIT]
I know my USB port works, because it will read my thumbdrive just fine. I just can't get either of my wireless USB adapters to work. :?

jonyo

#3 Post by jonyo »

Here's good info. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Think pup 98 needs perl to run ndiss...

Add some ram (usually cheap & doable..) if possible & you can run any 2xx series pup (good bet easier to setup wifi) live CD with a save file & keep win.

Ordo

#4 Post by Ordo »

Yes, it has to have perl installed to run ndiswrapper, which I got to work, and even to install various drivers, it's just that none of them seem to get me connected. I would use a livecd version of Puppy, but the lappy doesn't have a CD-rom drive... just a floppy :?

The network wizard the thread you pointed out (thanks, btw) referrs to Puppy 3.0, and Puppy 2.12 onwards. Pupwin98 is built on 1.0.7, I believe. :( The Wizard in pup98 seems to be more of a help file than anything, from what I can tell... you have to download or rip and manually install the drivers for wifi, and even though I followed the directions in the wizard screen, and got ndiswrapper working, the thing just won't connect. Has anyone else had these same issues recently? If so, please lemme know. :wink:

I found another wireless USB card in my goody box, so now I have:
Belkin 54g (f5d7050)
Netgear WG111v3
Netgear WG111T

Can't get the new one to work either. Image

JaDy

#5 Post by JaDy »

Yes, PupWin98 is based on the Puppy 1.0.7 release. Support for that version is very limited. I'm waiting for Puppy Dingo to finish beta testing to build a new PupWin98 (and PupWinQE) based on Dingo. I want to use Dingo because it's expected to work with low hardware requirements. If there's another recent Puppy version needing the same or less power than 1.0.7, I may release a new PupWin series based on it. Ideas anyone?

P.S. I really don't want to go with some other version of Linux because I like Puppy so much, especially after trying so many others over the years and found them wanting.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

markarcer

#6 Post by markarcer »

[quote="Ordo"]Yes, it has to have perl installed to run ndiswrapper, which I got to work, and even to install various drivers, it's just that none of them seem to get me connected. ...........

I found another wireless USB card in my goody box, so now I have:
Belkin 54g (f5d7050)
Netgear WG111v3
Netgear WG111T

Hallo, I'm totally brand new on this portal and also to Puppy linux.
I decided to "adopt the little Puppy Linux" after migrating to Ubuntu and Kubuntu from a windows vista machine.

The point is that I'm not so clever with programming but, using puppy 3.1 and the included (by default) ndiswrapper the system now recognize the wg111t. (I've spent two days for doing it!).
But now the usb wireless adapter doesn't recognize any form of crittografy.
I've readed something in google regarding Ubuntu fix to accept the WPA protocol but the article sugest to remove the original program for the network diskovering.(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=626499)
In Puppy you have both the security choices (Wpe and Wpa) but Netgear has a different notation WPA/psk and doesn't have the wpa2.

At the end i'd would be gratefull if someone "official" could explain to me "the last word to the point" or maybe a possible solution :wink:

Many thanks

Mark