System-Tools control panel

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dvw86

#1 Post by dvw86 »

Okay here is a very stripped down version of my System-Tools control panel. Unfortunately I couldn't find my latest copy of it so I'm going to have to re-write a bunch of the tools. The only things that are enabled are the JWM configuration tools and the firewall tool. I took out some of the JWM options since they didn't work well with the Eeepc or Pupeee such as changing the try height. I posted another version just for Pupeee. This should work in just about any version of Puppy that uses JWM. It requires murgaLua. MurgaLua has gone through some changes since this was written so if you want you can download it from here so that everything will work. Later I will test it with the newest version of murgaLua so it won't be an issue.

***UPDATE 2/28/08***
murgaLua is now included and you no longer have to download and install it separately. If you already have murgaLua installed it will use the included version to avoid conflicts in murgaLua versions. System Tools has been renamed to "Puppy Control Panel" or "PCP" for short.

http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/extras/pcp.tar.gz

Image[/b]
Last edited by dvw86 on Thu 28 Feb 2008, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.

iscraigh

#2 Post by iscraigh »

Looks interesting

Appearance is spelled incorrectly.

Craig

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

:oops: thanks. No body caught that when I posted it last year.

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Thanks, dvw86. I think this will be perfect for the 3.02-3.10 stream of Puppy. ecomoney may also find it more than useful for his 2.14rCE project Phoenix.

As we now have JWM-2.0, which has a much more finished look, your Control Panel would be ideal as the tool that will help make Puppy far more usable "out of the box". Will you be offering a version that supports either JWM or IceWM?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

dvw86

#5 Post by dvw86 »

WhoDo wrote:Will you be offering a version that supports either JWM or IceWM?
I didn't plan on it, but it shouldn't be too hard. I guess you could check for the default window manager and load the appropriate code.

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

dvw86 wrote:
WhoDo wrote:Will you be offering a version that supports either JWM or IceWM?
I didn't plan on it, but it shouldn't be too hard. I guess you could check for the default window manager and load the appropriate code.
Yep. /etc/windowmanager, I think. That would be really cool, especially for refugees who are used to the M$ Control Panel. If you can do that, and the guys running the two big projects can't accommodate it, I'll include it in the next EZpup.

Thanks, mate.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

I don't have IceWM installed on my machine. What exactly does your /etc/windowmanager file read with IceWM set as the default? Mine quite simply is:

Code: Select all

jwm
It's all in lowercase.

dvw86

#8 Post by dvw86 »

I should just install IceWM. What version are you all using? Can you post a link to it so we are all on the same page?

dvw86

#9 Post by dvw86 »

I changed it to work in Pupeee and any other version of Puppy so there is just one version of the control panel. It now works with the latest version of murgaLua so please download it from John's site linked in the first post. I added the FTP tool as well. There is now code to detect the window manager and load the correct tools. However there are no tools written yet for IceWM. It now has the plastic look too. Please test and let me know how it works.

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

dvw86 wrote:I don't have IceWM installed on my machine. What exactly does your /etc/windowmanager file read with IceWM set as the default? Mine quite simply is:

jwm
It's all in lowercase.
Again, all in lowercase

starticewm
It looks as though the contents of that file may be passed to xwin as a parameter when none is chosen ... sort of a $CURRENTWM placemarker.

WhoDo

#11 Post by WhoDo »

dvw86 wrote:I should just install IceWM. What version are you all using? Can you post a link to it so we are all on the same page?
Most would be using the version in EZpup-3.01, Icewm-1.2.34 which comes from the Slackware 12 repos. Earlier versions of EZpup contained earlier independent versions of IceWM.

Use Gslapt from MU to access the repos and install, if you'd prefer not to install EZpup-3.01, or simply use pet2tgz to unpack EZpup-3.01 and install the bits you want. Don't forget to take a couple of nice themes along for the ride, though. :wink:

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

dvw86 wrote:I changed it to work in Pupeee and any other version of Puppy so there is just one version of the control panel. It now works with the latest version of murgaLua so please download it from John's site linked in the first post.
Isn't there a runtime version of murgaLua? I seem to remember the original was only 512kb, but what I've downloaded from the supplied link is nearly 5Mb.

Edit: Used the binary from the download - only 383kb!!
dvw86 wrote:I added the FTP tool as well. There is now code to detect the window manager and load the correct tools. However there are no tools written yet for IceWM. It now has the plastic look too. Please test and let me know how it works.
WooHoo! I'll be back in a flash with the cash!!! :P

Edit: Yeehah!! It works. Now all we need are the relevant apps. Calling all programmers willing to help dvw86!!!!
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 23 Feb 2008, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

dvw86

#13 Post by dvw86 »

WhoDo wrote: Isn't there a runtime version of murgaLua? I seem to remember the original was only 512kb, but what I've downloaded from the supplied link is nearly 5Mb.
Yes, the supplied link has all the docs, binaries, and source code. All you really need is to place the murgaLua binary somewhere in your $PATH such as /root/my-applications/bin. I just put a symlink to it there.

WhoDo

#14 Post by WhoDo »

dvw86 wrote:Yes, the supplied link has all the docs, binaries, and source code. All you really need is to place the murgaLua binary somewhere in your $PATH such as /root/my-applications/bin. I just put a symlink to it there.
Thanks, dvw86. I've edited my post to reflect. Cheers.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#15 Post by JohnMurga »

Hi,

Great to see the control panel coming back !!

Incidentally, as for the new version of murgaLua :

http://www.murga-projects.com/forum/sho ... hp?tid=290

The best binary for Puppy is the "Linux/otherBuilds/murgaLua_Dynamic", the main murgaLua binary works, but is about 200k larger than it needs to be for Puppy.

Cheers
JohnM

ricstef

#16 Post by ricstef »

@dvw86,
I got your second version, it looks nice 8) and works well.

Your first post seems to suggest that Sys-Tools.tar.gz should be extracted to /root/my-applications/ and this works well for me.

One little detail; clicking on the Help icon causes a "File Not Found" message to display in the browser.
It seems to look for file:///root/my-roxapps/System-Tools/docs/index.html
However I find it at:
file:///root/my-applications/System-Tools/docs/index.html

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Richard.

dvw86

Re: System-Tools control panel

#17 Post by dvw86 »

ricstef wrote:@dvw86,
I got your second version, it looks nice 8) and works well.

Your first post seems to suggest that Sys-Tools.tar.gz should be extracted to /root/my-applications/ and this works well for me.

One little detail; clicking on the Help icon causes a "File Not Found" message to display in the browser.
However I find it at:

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Richard.
It shouldn't matter where it is installed since it checks this when it is first ran. You should be able to move it anywhere. I am actually running it from an external drive. However I think I may have forgotten to put the FTP help page in the download. I will check to see why it is pointing to the wrong location though. Thanks for the feedback.

dvw86

#18 Post by dvw86 »

JohnMurga wrote:Hi,

Great to see the control panel coming back !!

Incidentally, as for the new version of murgaLua :

http://www.murga-projects.com/forum/sho ... hp?tid=290

The best binary for Puppy is the "Linux/otherBuilds/murgaLua_Dynamic", the main murgaLua binary works, but is about 200k larger than it needs to be for Puppy.

Cheers
JohnM
Hey thanks John! I will start using this version of murgaLua for my testing and building of the control panel. Can I include a copy of the murgaLua_Dynamic binary without all the other source code and documentation in the next version of Pupeee? It would just help save on space. I could include a murgaLua specific help page in the control panel if you wanted that would direct them to your site.

dvw86

#19 Post by dvw86 »

ricstef wrote: One little detail; clicking on the Help icon causes a "File Not Found" message to display in the browser.
However I find it at:
Yep you were right. That is now fixed. Also I have renamed it from System Tools to Puppy Control Panel or PCP for short. I have included the latest murgaLua_Dynamic with the Puppy Control Panel. This has increased the total size to 510k but it will use the correct included version of murgaLua even if you already have another version of murgaLua installed. It also means that you no longer have to download and install murgaLua separately. The main help page includes the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE and a link to the murgaLua webite. I added the help page for the FTP tool as well. There is nothing on the help page yet, but at least it will not produce an error. Shortly I will upload the changed file and modify the first post so that you can download it for testing.

ttuuxxx

#20 Post by ttuuxxx »

[quote="dvw86"]Okay here is a very stripped down version of my System-Tools control panel. Unfortunately I couldn't find my latest copy of it so I'm going to have to re-write a bunch of the tools. The only things that are enabled are the JWM configuration tools and the firewall tool. I took out some of the JWM options since they didn't work well with the Eeepc or Pupeee such as changing the try height. I posted another version just for Pupeee. This should work in just about any version of Puppy that uses JWM. It requires murgaLua. MurgaLua has gone through some changes since this was written so if you want you can download it from here so that everything will work. Later I will test it with the newest version of murgaLua so it won't be an issue.

***UPDATE 2/28/08***
murgaLua is now included and you no longer have to download and install it separately. If you already have murgaLua installed it will use the included version to avoid conflicts in murgaLua versions. System Tools has been renamed to "Puppy Control Panel" or "PCP" for short.

http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/extras/pcp.tar.gz
I'm just wondering if your going to make this for the 3.0 series with icewm,Xorg/vesa, keyboard, networking inc wireless, basically all the setup menu and cups, Gparted, controls would be nice. Man that would be a lot of work.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)