New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dvw86

#61 Post by dvw86 »

MyPup wrote:Love the new look and I hear talk of Firefox which would be great ima. Trackpad has been working fine for me but i have been having to modprobe the video to get it to work in skype. I believe that ttuuxxx made a firefox pet that has java and flash with it as this can be a problem to install separately which can be found here http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/programs/ I really have enjoyed being able to use puppy on my tiny lappy thanks again its very nice. One thing i would like in the future would be the ability to use the webcam to take pictures with other than just in skype.
Videoview can be used to take pictures with the web cam. It is a free download, but unfortunately I can not distribute it without paying a fairly large fee. You can download it for yourself though. I thought about including Java but it is quite large. Having it as an .sfs file would be a good way to install it. Also the new update will include the asapm battery monitor instead of batmon. Asapm just looks too good with the new JWM theme to leave it out :)

maddox

#62 Post by maddox »

Hi dvw86,
we (the french puppy users) are interested in translating your soft for the Eeepc.
But first a simple question,
- Do we need an Eeepc to run the soft to start translating,
or can it be run on normal pc hardware ?

If it can run on a normal pc, do you agree to let us try translating it ?

Thanks in advance for your hard work bringing puppy to this new machine.

Caneri

#63 Post by Caneri »

Good idea maddox.

Maybe other languages as well if there are other translators around. This seems to be a good fit the purpose of the Eeepc.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

dvw86

#64 Post by dvw86 »

By all means start translating it. Everything I do, and Puppy are under the GPL so anyone can modify it. There are some free but copy written applications though such as Skype. I will test it on a standard desktop PC. It should run on any Puppy compatible PC, but my guess is that you will have to run the xorg wizard to get the correct screen resolution. I did not remove anything from Puppy when I made this. I only added what was needed for the Eeepc. I will test it and let you know.

dvw86

#65 Post by dvw86 »

Well I'm posting from Pupeee running on my VIA ML800desktop computer. Everything works as expected. Puppy detected the new monitor and ran the xorg wizard at boot. You should be able to run it on a standard desktop PC and translate it just as if you were running Puppy 3.01.

maddox

#66 Post by maddox »

thanks for that dvw86,
- if I understand right, it's a straight puppy with tweaks for the Eeepc ?
- What was your puppy version you used as a base ?

I'll download the iso from Caneri's site and give it a try.

btw Caneri, thanks a lot for hosting all those puppy files :)

maddox

dvw86

#67 Post by dvw86 »

maddox wrote: - if I understand right, it's a straight puppy with tweaks for the Eeepc ?
That is correct.

maddox wrote: - What was your puppy version you used as a base ?
Puppy 3.01

JustGreg

#68 Post by JustGreg »

I found another WebCam application that may of be use. So far the easiest application is videoview. The application called "Cheese" is very similar. However, the problem is when one runs the Cheese under PupEee, the following error message occurs:

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libgstreamer-0.10.so.0:  cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
It is missing a library. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know where to get the library.

The latest version of the progrm is available for download here:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/cheese/download.html

This location also has a write up on it.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

scotto_puppy

#69 Post by scotto_puppy »

JustGreg wrote:I found another WebCam application that may of be use. So far the easiest application is videoview. The application called "Cheese" is very similar. However, the problem is when one runs the Cheese under PupEee, the following error message occurs:

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libgstreamer-0.10.so.0:  cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
It is missing a library. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know where to get the library.

The latest version of the progrm is available for download here:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/cheese/download.html

This location also has a write up on it.
JustGreg: This all sounds just what I need - but my linux ignorance makes it difficult for me to choose which version to download. Can you help?

maddox

#70 Post by maddox »

Thanks dvw86 and raffy,
for the messages on the french Toutou forum :)
usefull info for all of us..

JustGreg

#71 Post by JustGreg »

The easiest application to try/use the webcam is videoview. It is avaliable to down load at this location:
http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/m ... .php?cid=5
The author limits the distribution for some reason. But, it is free to use.

On page 1 of this post, I have instructions on how to get the webcam working. Please read the entry before you try videoview. It will help you out.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

9a6or

Fullscreen trouble

#72 Post by 9a6or »

When switching to fullscreen with F11 and back, I get strange results. The window is moved up and the menu bar is off the screen with a strip of the desktop appearing below the window. This happens even if I maximise the window first. Same with Firefox.

Is this a window manager issue? Raffy's Breeezy Puppy based on an older version is working fine.

klu9

#73 Post by klu9 »

about software that, by its terms/license, cannot be included in a Puplet, I'm wondering...

Would it be possible to make a script so:
  1. user downloads & executes script
  2. script downloads puplet and the non-free software
  3. script puts it all together into an ISO on the user's computer

JustGreg

#74 Post by JustGreg »

The display is acting normally. The difference is due to PupEee using JWM to auto-hide the menu/task bar. This is the reason for the blue strip of the desktop in a reduced window. The version of Breeezy you are using does not use the auto-hide function. The menu/task bar is always present. The use of auto-hide allows more of the screen to be used for the application. I think the next version of Breeezy may also be using auto-hide. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

dvw86

#75 Post by dvw86 »

klu9 wrote:about software that, by its terms/license, cannot be included in a Puplet, I'm wondering...

Would it be possible to make a script so:
  1. user downloads & executes script
  2. script downloads puplet and the non-free software
  3. script puts it all together into an ISO on the user's computer
Yes it is possible. GuestToo used to do this quite a lot with large applications such as Java.

dvw86

#76 Post by dvw86 »

We have a new server! I will be posting all the files there from now on. I hope that Caneri continues to mirror as well. My server just can't take the load. Thanks to 1ColdBeer for the server space.

http://epc.waltonpond.com

Caneri

#77 Post by Caneri »

No worries dvw86.

I'll hang in there with you as long as you need my server.

Maybe talk to klu9 about torrents and coblitz etc so we can share the load over all our servers....he does good work with this aspect of making the load easier for me and can help you as well.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

9a6or

fullscreen bug

#78 Post by 9a6or »

JustGreg wrote:The display is acting normally. The difference is due to PupEee using JWM to auto-hide the menu/task bar. This is the reason for the blue strip of the desktop in a reduced window. The version of Breeezy you are using does not use the auto-hide function. The menu/task bar is always present. The use of auto-hide allows more of the screen to be used for the application. I think the next version of Breeezy may also be using auto-hide. I hope this helps.
Autohide was my first guess too but I get the same behaviour even when it's switched off (Menu/Desktop/JWM configuration). I wasn't accurate, the menu bar is always visible but the title bar is off screen. (Alt-drag can bring the whole window down.)

What makes me think that this is a bug, is that repeatedly pressing F11 the window goes through 3 (or 4?) different states in a random order (at least I haven't found a pattern).

klu9

#79 Post by klu9 »

CoBlitzed download link:
http://coblitz.codeen.org/waltonpond.co ... py-eee.iso

Metalink that combines caneri's server and the walton pond one:
puppy-eee.iso.metalink

JustGreg

#80 Post by JustGreg »

Well, 9a6or, I reach my limit on window manager knowledge. Hopefully, you can get more information and someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you.
Enjoy life, Just Greg