Tree - shows directory contents in expanded tree format

Booting, installing, newbie
TrailerTrash

Tree - shows directory contents in expanded tree format

#1 Post by TrailerTrash »

If I could find a single document that outlined exactly what files are in each of all those directories it would help a great deal in my understanding of the linux file system. I understand that, unlike MS, an application is split up into various components and each part is filed separately and that this is the reason for package managers.

Look at the "root". Is there one picture somewhere that shows the entire "tree" and everything in it in plain language.

For instance, Seamonkey. I've managed to find parts which have this and that but have yet to find the actual .eml files. Where are all the emails actually filed?

If anyone knows where a good quick reference to the distribution breakdown in this file system is I would like to make a chart, a block diagram which would remove all the mystery.

tks

oblivious

#2 Post by oblivious »

There are some links I was referred to in here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23818

and I've also got this one in my bookmarks

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/

Bruce B

Re: Learning Linux File System

#3 Post by Bruce B »

TrailerTrash wrote: Is there one picture somewhere that shows the entire "tree" and everything in it in plain language.
Yes and no.

There is a tree program which is not included with Puppy. I've attached it to this post.

To install.

Download tree.gz
Navigate to download directory in ROX then
open console and type these commands.

Or open console and navigate to download directory using the cd command. That's how I'd do it.

# gzip -d tree.gz
# mv tree /usr/bin

To learn more about tree's switches and options

# tree --help

(a fairly compressive list of options for such a small utility, hope you all enjoy)
Attachments
tree.gz
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 1185 times

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

And keep in mind that any directory or file starting with a period is hidden (click the "eye" icon in ROX-Filer to show them, and use ls -a on the commandline to see them with ls). Personal type things (such as bookmarks, settings, etc.) tend to be in hidden files in the home directory, which for Puppy is /root.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Awesome programme Bruce! Woohoo! Thanks a treat for this little golden CLI gem! I'm sitting here smiling and wondering if this is Xmas or something! LOL :lol:

Thanks so much again Bruce! I've installed this in all 5 distros now. ;)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

purple_ghost

I think what a newcomer would be asking is ....

#6 Post by purple_ghost »

I must apologize if my explanation tries to answer something you already know.

I think what a newcomer would be asking is ....I opened the ROX and see some file names I do not recognize. Where is my hard drive? How could I look at files on my floppy or a USB flash drive?

If you open ROX, the files you see there are in root. Notice the little up Arrow on the left of the task bar, if you click it you will see some more files, one of which is root - which is where you came from. IN the beginning I want to point out two folders. One of these is TMP. TMP has the text files that puppy creates of problems when it boots and when you start some programs. At this stage, just be aware of it. If you are going to post a question on the forum regarding something that went wrong, you might want to copy one of these to help describe the problem.

The Folder MNT is one you will end up using a lot. It will lead you to the partitions on your hard drive and the other removable devices. I guess I should mention what mount is about in Linux. Once again, I apologize if I talk about what you already know. I can not know what you do know, and besides, someone else may come along and read this who does not know about Mount. In order for Linux ROX to read a file system, wherever it is located on the hardware, it must be "mount"ed.

If you look at the upper left hand of the desktop, in Puppy 3 you will see icons which look like USB flash drives. Either one of these will mount file systems to be used by Puppy. Why two different programs? Well every once in awhile, not very often, someone can mount a device with one of these programs and not with the other. To my mind, use which ever one seems to be the easiest for you to understand. Using the program is pretty intuitive. Just click on whatever you want to mount. The REALLY BIG THING TO REMEMBER. NEVER take a removable device away from Linux without UN-Mounting it by clicking on it in one of these programs. Sorry to be so loud, this lack of un-mounting something is the one way to really hose up a file system. and Puppy will not be happy about it either.

Back to the discussion. Some people will only have one partition on their hard drive. In Windows this is usually named C. Puppy has a bunch of new descriptors of hard drive partitions, and depending on how I booted up Puppy, will have different names. Not so confusing. I have several partitions on my hard drive. If I boot up without a pup_save file, like the first time I boot up Puppy, or when I set the flag as Puppy boots up to run without a pup-save file. Then that first partition is hda1, my second partition is hda5, then hda6. Before I can look into that partition from Puppy, I must Mount it with one of the two mounting programs MUT or Pmount Puppy drive mounter.

In Puppy 3.01 Pmount will typically open a ROX folder that shows the partition. OR I can look at the ROX from the mneu and Click on the folder MNT. One of the options would be the different partitions on my hard drive.

How those designations change is when I boot with a pup_save file (Okay, this description is really meant for using the Live-CD method of starting Puppy adjust for other methods). When I boot Puppy with a pup-save file, then whichever hard drive partition the pup-save file is on will automatically be mounted and will named home. so in the ROX folder under MNT one of these may be HOME, and lead to that partition. The other name for that partition will be left unused, although might appear there.

Using Pmount my DVD drive is dev/hdc, which must usually must be mounted for me to use it. However. Some Puppy programs will use it if it is not mounted. Like Gxine (the multimedia player) uses the optical drive without it being mounted.

If I plug in a USB flash key now; What will appear in ROX is another option of SDA#. with the number of the USB port in place of the # sign. I can mount that with Pmount. and do with it what I choose. Just be very careful to UN-Mount it before taking it out. Of course shutting Puppy down unmounts what ever is mounted.

As you can now see in using MUT or Pmount you can directly click on the ROX for a particular partition or device. Making it easy to find the common starting places for things.

To look at files you might look at installing Uxplor, a two window file manager, which is more like Windows Explorer. IF you are online with Puppy, then Menu/Setup/Puppy Package Manager will take you to the Puppy Pet Installer program.

Personally I really like the "Puppy Software Installer" PSI from Mark, MU. Which is to find, install, un-install for the DotPups, the programs created by those other than Barry Kauler. I think the one for Puppy 3.01 is http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Ut ... taller.pup
There is a different PSI for Puppy 2.

Finding things with the standard Search function on the forum is not so easy. There is a google Search of the forum which works better. I will edit it back in here when I find it. Ha Ha Ha.

ROX has another option you might want to look at. Right click the mouse pointer at some empty portion of the ROX field and it will give some options. In fact. I usually go to the one named Options there and set the display to show size of files, and to display hidden files. And this has the ROX help.

ROX is like Windows explorer in doing a left click hold, then drag and drop to another ROX window to copy a file or folder around. Looking around in the other folders you can see where the OS is, and where the applications programs are.

Once again I am sorry if I am telling you things you already know.

And maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys on the forum can write this up better.

EDIT: I am going to edit this a bit and fix up some punctuation and add some detail. So it may change before your eyes.
Last edited by purple_ghost on Thu 21 Feb 2008, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hear! Hear! You've done a far better job of it than I ever could purple_ghost! Thanks for the primer that many of us forget about when dealing with people who've just come over from "The Other Side", find all of this so strange, odd, exciting, new---and bewildering too!---and start asking questions and we forget that one important detail:

"We were all in their moccassins once too." ;)

Umm... being Native American I'm still in those moccassins. LOL! :lol:

Again purple_ghost, kudos for a job very well done in my humble opinion! Thank you! :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

GeoW

#8 Post by GeoW »

What I would really like is the ability to print out a single post.

GeoW

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Assuming you can print somehow, could you highlight the post you want to print, then copy and paste it into whatever format you can print?

GeoW

#10 Post by GeoW »

Flash,

Excellent, worked like a charm.

A little cumbersome - I saved into leafpad but it would only print
blank pages so I saved and printed with geany and it worked.

I'd like a button right alongside the quote button but I know that's
blue sky thinking.

Thanks,

GeoW

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Google search of forum

#11 Post by Billwho? »

The Google search tool for this forum mentioned by purple_ghost is located here
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

GeoW wrote:
I'd like a button right alongside the quote button but I know that's
blue sky thinking.

Thanks,

GeoW
Good plan

We all know Puppy can fly - with or without sky
Try sending John Murgha a PM (private mesage)
he hosts this forum
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GeoW

#13 Post by GeoW »

Lobster,

Good thought but I think I read that the system is phpBB or
something like that.

JM can influence them you think?

GeoW

Sit Heel Speak

#14 Post by Sit Heel Speak »