Dingo alpha6 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Sit Heel Speak

#81 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Monday morning, 36 hours later: still getting

a55652c5086ba718d78cb398440e51b

as the (incorrect) md5sum, for puppy-3.96-seamonkey-k2.6.24.iso.

russ

#82 Post by russ »

Lobster wrote:I am having difficulty installing .pets
(downloaded from Iblio or other sources)
The only thing that may be complicating this: Is I am running from CD with data saved on USB and have 31MB of memory free (according to the tray applet)

So I would like to know if others are able to install .pets?

The basic situation is .pet starts to expand. Computer freezes completely. Then have to turn off computer (probably a reset button would do but I do not have one) Ctrl + Alt + backspace does not work.

Complete freeze up
Last edited by russ on Mon 11 Feb 2008, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#83 Post by John Doe »

russ wrote:
The only thing that may be complicating this: Is I am running from CD with data saved on USB and have 31MB of memory free (according to the tray applet)

The basic situation is .pet starts to expand. Computer freezes completely. Then have to turn off computer (probably a reset button would do but I do not have one) Ctrl + Alt + backspace does not work.

Complete freeze up
I'm getting the same behaviour with a session saved to USB drive.

Pets work OK, with full HD install.

exProphecy

#84 Post by exProphecy »

John Doe wrote:
russ wrote:

Complete freeze up
I'm getting the same behaviour with a session saved to USB drive.

Hey what the copy cats. I'm getting the same problem. I MEAN copy puppies =]
Puppy 4.3.1 + Sansa Express MP3 Player + 10GB USB Flash Drive = My triple threat OS. :wink:
I consider myself a Turritopsis Nutricula.
[url]http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]
[url]http://www.esnips.com/web/exprophecypets[/url]

changturkey

#85 Post by changturkey »

Puppy freezes when running the "alsaconf" from the console shortcut at the bottom left, near the menu.

rerwin

XorgWizard sets wrong resolution with new "intel" driver

#86 Post by rerwin »

On my IBM NetVista PC with Intel 845 built-in graphics and an ADI 5P CRT monitor, the old driver, i810, set resolutions as directed by Puppy's xorgwizard in xorg mode. In alpha6 and the newer driver, intel, the resolution is set to 1152x864 no matter what I select (1024, 1280, 800) with the wizard. The resolution is reported by HardInfo and corresponds to what I see on the screen.

I found a post that suggests the solution: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linux/1 ... fixed.html It uses an xorg.conf Monitor-Section Option statement that affects only adapters that support RandR 1.2 (The X Resize and Rotate Extension) and is apparently ignored by other adapters. The man-page definition of it is:
Option PreferredMode string
This optional entry specifies a mode to be marked as the preferred initial mode of the monitor. (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)
I have tried this Option using the same resolution as in the Screen Section and, indeed, the problem is corrected. I have modified /usr/sbin/xorgwizard to generate the Option statement with the same value as that placed in the Screen Section "Modes" statement. I have also tested the fix on two other PCs (that don't need it) and there is no impact.

EDIT 2/16/08: Apparently I only intended to post regarding the grubconfig script, but did not actually post. I updated grubconfig to remove all the "HD..." references, for use with kernel 2.6.24+, where all hard drives are "sd...". That is the third fix of the "three" mentioned in the next paragraph. /EDIT

Attached is an archive with this fix as well as the previous three I have posted in this thread. If extracted to the / directory, the scripts will go to their correct directories. From the readme file:
Content:
pwget: Changes "cut and paste" to "copy and paste".
xorgwizard: Corrects "Trident CYBER" entries, adding line for 8620.
Adds PreferredMode option to xorg.conf monitor section for RandR accomodation.
grubconfig: Changes "hd*" to "sd*" and removes hd* from table (for use with kernel 2.6.24+ only).
EDIT 2/19/08: Forum member hln informs me that he got his Toshiba Portege 7200CT display to work by adding its adapter ID to the test for problematic adapters:
oem: Trident CYBER 9540
Barry, please add it to the version of xorgwizard in the attached archive. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
rerwin-listings-fixes-to-396.tar.gz
Listings of the changes made.
(70.36 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
rerwin-fixes-to-396.tar.gz
Four fixes for problems I described above. Extract to /.
(30.13 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 19 Feb 2008, 22:56, edited 3 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#87 Post by Lobster »

Barry is working on the Universal Installer and .pet package system whilst on holiday.

I am now running Puppy Alpha 6 (have been for a few days) from Multisession. This seems to be going OK. My main program use is:

Seamonkey (occasional freezing - normally seems related to some media intensive site and I have a feeling I am not giving it time to complete a process thing is it may be slowing other open windows)

AbiWord (this program seems to display a missing line in images on occasion) but is OK for printing using Cups which I have set up for my Canon BJc 4300

Inkscape We have up to now used a cut down 'lite' version but Barry has the full version in the Alpha. I find the full version very useful.

MtPaint. For some reason the previous default of using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, has to be turned on in preferences. If this is an Mtpaint decision, I preferred the previous default middle wheel zooming feature . . .

Geany Use a lot. As usual nothing to report - just works.

Wallpaper setter Wot no preview (as in Marks wxbasic version)? :oops: I believe this is related to the lack of a pic viewer and might be remedied? :)

Pwget. I used this to download a swf from the wayback machine and it kept retrying indefinetly - but the file was in fact downloaded once I tired of watching the download reconnects. Is this maybe to do with wayback machine
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sit Heel Speak

#88 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

rerwin wrote:pwget: Changes "cut and paste" to "copy and paste".
xorgwizard: Corrects "Trident CYBER" entries, adding line for 8620.
Adds PreferredMode option to xorg.conf monitor section for RandR accomodation.
grubconfig: Changes "hd*" to "sd*" and removes hd* from table (for use with kernel 2.6.24+ only).
Thanks Richard, these are timely fixes. I noticed xorgwizard in Lobster's tmxxine 'Vision' was missing the 8620 line, and grub wasn't being written as sd*.

Monday night now, puppy-3.96-seamonkey-k2.6.24.iso is still giving (made 7 tries so far) the same incorrect md5sum ***Edited, succeeded later, see below***
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 12 Feb 2008, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#89 Post by WhoDo »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Monday night now, puppy-3.96-seamonkey-k2.6.24.iso is still giving (made 7 tries so far) the same incorrect md5sum as I showed above.

Is anyone else downloading it OK, i.e. is there something wrong at perhaps my ISP?
Something right "off the wall" for you to try, SHS. Download to a DIFFERENT directory. Why? Just in case the download isn't actually overwriting the first faulty download but simply "replacing it", errors and all. I know, I know. It shouldn't happen that way, but what have you got to lose? :wink:

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Sit Heel Speak

#90 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

WhoDo wrote:Download to a DIFFERENT directory...
Thanks for the tip, but, been doing that. On three different partitions. All 7 times, I got the same incorrect md5sum. Next I'll try downloading it from a Win98 machine.

Sit Heel Speak

#91 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

***EDITED by SHS (problem downloading it, see below)***
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 19 Feb 2008, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#92 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

***EDITED by SHS***The problem was here--for some unknown reason my (Windows software) proxy firewall is not passing-on the .iso correctly.***
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 19 Feb 2008, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

divisionmd

bug list

#93 Post by divisionmd »

Hello all,

Here is a few bugs i found with Dingo Alpha 6.

- You can start/install .PUP files

- When unpacking files i get the error "wrapper exited with error all the time even though everything is unpacked perfectly.

- After some random bootups the screen is black. Then i need to "ctrl-backspace" and type xwin to start up X

Best regards,
Johan

trapster

#94 Post by trapster »

divisionmd wrote:
When unpacking files i get the error "wrapper exited with error all the time even though everything is unpacked perfectly.
I get this all the time (puppy300-retro frugal) when I save the .pup / .pet outside my pup_save (vfat). If I save inside my pup_save, no error messages.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

NathanO

#95 Post by NathanO »

Testing at the San Antonio Public Library. It took three 'scans' and 'choosing' the WIFI berfore the WIFI in this HP zv6000 laptop would stay on. I was then able to auto DHCP to get on line. Am using it now.

3.01, with no 'bug fixes' only takes one 'scan' and one auto DHCP to connect.

Will try at San Antonio Collage later.

russ

#96 Post by russ »

I was having the same problem as lobster earlier until I downloaded the 2.6.23.12 version and everything is working better.

NathanO

#97 Post by NathanO »

At San Antonio College. Same problem as 3.02A1, takes several 'scan', 'choose' and auto DHCP on WIFI.

NathanO

Sit Heel Speak

#98 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I don't know whether this is a "bug" or a "feature," but, I used

mksquashfs ./* trashedsystem.sfs

to make an archive of a trashed filesystem...while running tmxxine 'Vision' from live-CD..'Vision' uses kernel 2.6.24rc8...and...

..the resulting trashedsystem.sfs is not mountable by Puppy 2.17-1.

Nor mountable in Sabayon 1.1 PE, which uses a 2.6.23-something kernel. dmesg | tail did advise that I should update my kernel.

trashedsystem.sfs is mountable in 'Vision' --I presume it would also be mountable in Barry's "stock" 4-alpha-6 which has a 2.6.24 kernel, though haven't tried. I wonder if it is mountable in the earlier 4-alphas.

linuxcbon

#99 Post by linuxcbon »

In /etc/ld.so.conf, there should be no /opt/qt4/lib and /opt/mozilla.org/lib
In /etc/mtab, what is /dev/root ?
Is it better to compile for i386 instead of i686 ?

libXss.so.1 is missing. (needed for new skype beta)

disciple

#100 Post by disciple »

Sorry - I haven't had a chance to read through the thread, so there will likely be some duplication. Some of this is more FYI than expecting anyone to do anything about it.

Blurb
Dingo is awesome!
- It seems very solid/stable already.
- It looks truly abominable, but is great if I change the JWM, GTK, and icon themes to normal/standard/whatever the most traditional ones are called.
- It seems very much faster than Puppy 2. I am almost tempted to upgrade from my highly customised Grafpup 104 :):):) Browsing (esp. sf.net) is particularly fast. I wonder why?
- I think a lot of the recent improvements are very much addressing real useability, especially for non-geeks, which is great.

More Useful observations/experience
- When I shutdown, it does not turn off my PC. Puppy always has before - is this intentional? Should I provide more information?

- It loads the drivers and everything properly for my soundcard (PCI with a fortemedia fm801 chip) properly, but never turns the sound on. I've checked volumes and muting etc. Grafpup 2 is the same. It works in Puppy 2.16. I've tried to find answers, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

- the alltray package is broken - try launching most GTK2 applications with it, and you will get a string of error messages. This is a pity, because it is very useful. I have the same problem with the version I compiled on Puppy 1 (when I say you mention it here). I posted a question to the alltray message group, but now I can't find that, and it needs a new maintainer.

- It has become very confusing with JWM having so many configuration files. I changed the focus mode with the jwm config tool, then edited one of the files manually, then changed the focus mode back with the jwm config tool, but it didn't actually do anything and I had to change it back manually. It also seems to ignore some settings, e.g. I added a line to include jwmrc-personal2, as I was lazy and it has some key bindings not in jwmrc-personal, but they won't work for some reason.
Also, what happened to the warning in .jwmrc to edit the other files instead?
Also, I thought somebody was rewriting the jwm configuration manager? Was I right about this? Barry seems to have rewritten just the theme selection or something, and some of the other (basic) functions are broken like they have been for a year or two. Maybe I should have a look at it... seems like something even I might be able to do. Also, I think a font option in the JWM theme selector would be good.

-Can I suggest having something other than MTPaint as the default action when clicking on a JPEG? People are much more likely to be viewing a JPEG than editing it, and MTPaint isn't great for this.

-What happened to Glipper?

-I have some very common network cards that used to have their driver (tulip) autodected by Puppy, but they haven't been for a number of versions now. Do we try to get everything autodetected (i.e. should I post more information), or not?

-Please can we have xev?

-I had a number of problems with Gnumeric, particularly graphs not being drawn. Hopefully these things will have been fixed in 1.8

-Do we have anything that points users to the easiest way to install dictionaries for Abiword? .pet packages even?

-If you open ChmSee (without opening a chm) it freezes or something and you have to kill it.

-Even if I set the user level thing in Xine to "master of the known universe" most of the tabs in the options dialogue say they are not available at this "user experience level". What does this mean?

-If I boot up Puppy and open Xine, it crashes. If I open it again it crashes again. If I open a file with Xine, it works, and continues to work thereafter.

Probably the two things I miss most are not being able to get the graphical view of mounted partition usage from the memory indicator on the taskbar, and the old volume control in the taskbar :(

----------------EDIT---------------------
This is the xine error message:

Code: Select all

# xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
AFD changed from -2 to -1
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  1846
  Current serial number in output stream:  1847
Last edited by disciple on Wed 20 Feb 2008, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.