pcPuppyOS RC4 Now Available

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pizzasgood

pcPuppyOS RC4 Now Available

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

http://www.pcpuppyos.com/
http://www.pcpuppyos.com/download.html <---NOTE: BAD ISO, use Caneri's mirror until we fix this
http://www.pcpuppyos.com/WineTools_preconfigured.pet <---this is missing, and out of date anyways... will be corrected with the next version

Caneri is mirroring it here (thanks!):
pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso - 602 MB
md5sum
9b88d1c3067f8adfaca1e7439a90af25 pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso

pcpos_RC3_to_RC4.delta - 16 MB

If you already have the .iso file from RC3, you don't need to download the new iso. Instead, you can install xdelta.pet and then download the pcpos_RC3_to_RC4.delta file, which is only 16 MB. To apply it, put both it and the old iso in the same directory. Then run this:

Code: Select all

xdelta3 -d -s pcpuppyos_3.01-rc3.iso pcpos_RC3_to_RC4.delta pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso
When it finishes, you should have a fresh shiny pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso file, who's md5sum should match the one liked to above.

Changes in RC4:
made ramdisk size setting dynamic in initrd.gz (user should see no difference)
updated Wine to 0.9.54
updated ClamAV deffs to Feb 6, 2008
added Xdelta
made Firefox show "open with ghostview" as an option when downloading a .pdf file

Enjoy :)
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Wed 13 Feb 2008, 20:39, edited 3 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

buttonss

#2 Post by buttonss »

I like open with gs option! Will test it next week.

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

Hey thanks Pizza,

The xdelta.pet and xdelta method of updating isos is sweet.

I'm glad your onboard with this. Spread the word to all the puplets about xdelta...it will make the user experience much better....as in downloading a small file to update what people already have...great!

Thanks for posting the command for xdelta...Maybe all new xdelta updates should be accompanied with the command to merge the new update...you know for us noobs and cli challenged people..lol

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

NathanO

#4 Post by NathanO »

Downloaded full RC4 and tested on both machines no problem. Will get to a WIFI spot on Wed to test that.

NathanO

friedsonjm

#5 Post by friedsonjm »

RC4 is expected to be FINAL. Also now posted for download at http://www.pcpuppyos.com

thanks, Jeremy!

jf

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

De nada. Edited the first post to have your link too.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Mini-Me

Invalid or Corrupt Kernel image

#7 Post by Mini-Me »

friedsonjm

Re: Invalid or Corrupt Kernel image

#8 Post by friedsonjm »

Mini-Me wrote:from www.pcpuppyos.com :(
wow, first complaint I've heard. I am travelling, can you pull it down from the alternate site for now? jf

Mini-Me

OK, Suckses from a Mirror, Thanx :)

#9 Post by Mini-Me »

:)

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

Just for the record, this is no longer expected to be final. Found some bugs in the install script, and now some missing files in the development environment. I'll also be updating Firefox and Wine and Pebble, and probably adding the syslinux/isolinux improvements I've been working on for TS. Some other little minor things.

And of course, it will include a .diff file so the full iso won't need to be downloaded.

Expect it sometime between Wednesday and Sunday, hopefully around Thursday.

NathanO

#11 Post by NathanO »

Testing at the San Antonio Public Library WIFI. Took two times of detecting the WIFI to get it to auto DHCP. Am on line right now with it. Will try at San Antonio College about 6 PM. I always have problems with the WIFI there.

NathanO

djringjr

Crazy RC4 boot

#12 Post by djringjr »

I finally got a good md5sum from the mirror site in Canada.

I burned it to a CD-RW and it didn't verify as a good burn with cd2iso..

I burned it to a DVD-RW and it DID verify with cd2iso as a good burn..

Then I booted it up - it was slow booting - but that was expected but it took longer than I wanted!

But when it came on the screen after the Xorg Wizard was finished - none of the PCPuppyOS programs were there.

The email was Seamonkey, the write icon was Abiword, - it just was a Puppy 3.01.

I typed mut in a console to see if somehoe PCPuppyOS had mounted one of my Pup_save files. No there was no /intrd/mnt/pup_save file there.

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Mut won't show the save_file. If it's mounted, it would be at /mnt/home/pup_save.2fs and /initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup_save.2fs (which are the same place - /mnt/home is a symlink). If not, /mnt/home won't exist (may not anyways in 3.xx) and /initrd/mnt/dev_save/ will be empty.

Another possibility is that the wrong pup_301.sfs file got loaded. That can happen because Puppy lets you copy the pup_xxx.sfs file to the harddrive so it loads faster than from the CD, so if you have a pup_301.sfs from another version of Puppy on the drive it could feasibly be loaded. That doesn't seem like what happened though because it would have booted faster rather than slowly.

If it wasn't either of the above, then I'm not sure what happened. Try booting with the puppy pfix=ram option though. That should at least take the harddrive(s) out of the equation.

NathanO

#14 Post by NathanO »

At San Antonio College, had the same problem here as 3.02A and 3.92A4, If the OS will keep the WIFI card on this HP zv6000 alive then you can auto DHCP no problem. But if it turns it off before you auto DHCP you will not get anywhere. The internal card is a Broadcom BCM43xx series. Puppy 3.01 without updates seems to keep it alive. Once you get an IP address it stays on.

NathanO

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's odd. I can't think of any reason why it would behave differently.

djringjr

#16 Post by djringjr »

Mut won't show the save_file. If it's mounted, it would be at /mnt/home/pup_save.2fs and /initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup_save.2fs (which are the same place - /mnt/home is a symlink). If not, /mnt/home won't exist (may not anyways in 3.xx) and /initrd/mnt/dev_save/ will be empty
You must be thinking of pmount, pizzasgood. mut certainly shows the save file if it is mounted - and it shows it exactly where you say.

I prefer using mut because of that reason and also because it is very easy to play DVDs that I put in the computer!

I find pmount very slow!

Anyway mut doesn't show that there is a mounted save file. I can't explain why I'm booting into a Puppy 3.01 - especially when I get the splash screen for pcPuppyOS - which is a BEAUTIFUL splash screen. I really like that!!!

I'll post a helpful hint in the next post.

Best to you,

David
djringjr

djringjr

resuming failed iso download

#17 Post by djringjr »

This is more for new comers than old timers - it tells how to use wget to resume a failed download. Ignore the rest of this post if you know that already!

Use ROX (file manager for Puppy) to go into the location that you downloaded the failed download of the file - in this case it is the file named pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso that was downloaded from the www.puppylinux.ca site. (See earlier note about corrupt file on the other site).

Right click into ROX and then select "Window" and then "Terminal Here" and you will bring up an xterm terminal in the correct directory (folder).

Then issue this command:

[code]wget -c www.puppylinux.ca/pizzasgood/pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso[/code]

You probably can click and then "copy" on this web page, but in xterm, you have to press both mouse buttons at the same time to paste.

Then enter - and wget will resume (which is the "switch" -c or "continue download") and then check the file by typing in the same xterm window

[code]md5sum pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso[/code]

That should agree with the posted mp5sum of
9b88d1c3067f8adfaca1e7439a90af25
for the file pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso

I recommend using the iso2CD script under "Multimedia" on most Puppy Linux, and when done, select "verify".

Best wishes to all,

David Ring
Green Harbor, MA
-30-

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Odd. My MUT doesn't show it. It shows the partition it's on, but not the save file. Maybe the version of MUT in 2.14 is different from the version you're using.