MasterPup Class

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Lobster
Official Crustacean

MasterPup Class

#1 Post by Lobster »

Should we remove fprot from the menu - it is in pupget?

Not sure if we can move up to sylpheed claws - which does HTML?

Can anyone set up a script or show how Gaim can be set so it automatically fires up the #puppylinux forum at irc.ICQ.net?

Does anyone use the Axel accelerator - any good?

Who has used Gphone, Skype on Puppy?

How about an ask the MasterPups on IRC twice a week?
GuestToo has agreed to give IRC a go - so this might be the chance we need . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rhino

#2 Post by Rhino »

I can help with the gaim setup.

Set up your account:
1. Open Gaim...click on Accounts
2. Click on Add account.
3. Change the protocol to IRC
4. Enter a screen name...
5. Change the Server to irc.icq.net
6. Put a checkmark in Auto-Login if you want to go to the Puppy IRC Chat EVERY time you open Gaim. Otherwise, leave Auto-Login blank.
7. Click Save.
8. Click on your Buddy List...Buddies...Add Chat
9. Select your IRC (irc.icq.net) account
10. In the Channel Box add...#puppylinux
11. Click on Add.
12. Right Click on IRC-#puppylinux in the Buddy List window and set to Auto-Join. This will automatically join the #puppylinux channel anytime you connect to irc.icq.net
13. That should do it!

Hints and tips on using IRC:
1. When using Gaim across several networks (Yahoo, MSN, IRC, etc) simultaneously I find the Auto-login to every network rather cumbersome. My personal preference is to set all of my accounts so I have to manually log in.
2. When you open Gaim, instead of selecting a specific account and then clicking the sign in button, I click the ACCOUNTS button and then place a checkmark in the ONLINE button of each account I wish to use during that Gaim session. This way you only have one instance of Gaim with several network windows, rather than 3 instances of Gaim with 1network each.
3. When chatting on multiple channels, if someone types something, that channel tab text will turn red letting you know that someone is talking there.
4. You may hold a private conversation with someone by double clicking their name. This opens a new window where you and that person may chat "backchannel".
5. Gaim has a nice file-sharing system called DCC. If you want/need to share a file, it is nice to open a private conversation to discuss the file, then right click the recipients name and select send file. They will only receive the file if they accept it. IT IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO SET YOUR DCC TO AUTO-ACCEPT. Although probably safe on the Puppy IRC chat due to the excellent quality of people there, out on other channels you could invite something nasty onto your machine.
6. Some channels have "bots". Bots are applications that loiter on an IRC channel to keep it open, log visitors, play trivia games with you, etc. Don't chat with them...they don't talk back ;-) Bots may be programmed to be malicious however, so be careful.
7. Some IRC clients parade you IP address for everyone to see by using a simple /whois command. Puppy is a nice OS in that if you have your firewall on, it appears relatively "invisible" and doesn't seem to respond to ping attempts. I don't know much about this so someone please add more about IRC safety :-)
Last edited by Rhino on Fri 27 May 2005, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Best Of Breed - IRC

#3 Post by Lobster »

Nice! Rhino :)

8)

(gotta get those rosettes done . . .)

Placed it on the wiki (my previous walk-through was not correct - but still people were connecting - also it was not automated as this is)

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC
(added two small improvements)

Can we take it one step further with a script? The script would automate this set up - so if people opened Gaim it would be set up to chat to Puppians (in the official Bow Wow language) - or standard English . . .

Hey thought I had created a wiki page on Bow-Wow

nearest i could find was this:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/Glossary

maybe I dreamt it?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Yeah, thanks from me too!
I "followed" the original instructions for gaim and got confused ...but someone else commented they found them ok. So from me anyway I appreciate clearer instructions :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

For Playing the Gaim

#5 Post by Lobster »

For services to Puppy and extreme friskiness Rhino wins an (only the second time ever awarded) Outstanding Puppy award. The first award will go to the Pizza Puplet entry for "most eagerly awaited Puplet . . . "

More awards coming soon. Please now all stand and sing "How much is that Puppy in the Window. Free Free"
:roll:
woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

top tips

#6 Post by Lobster »

Yep Gaim is pretty good

- More Puppys welcome on the chat - have not been going there daily - been distracted . . .

It has been a few months that I have been using Puppy so time for my top tips

1. We have a great wiki - use that
2. Help in Puppy is extensive (yep try help and start)
3. Be frisky. Try it. Puppy is just too much fun. ROX is a great program - find the Rute Guide if you want to learn the command line and then some . . .
4. Involvement. Flash (forum user) is a classic example of someone who has become heavily involved in using and helping. Yep - he creates those great stickies with quick index references.
5. Check out the utilities. Pupget and dotpup will offer more. The programs in Puppy eg MUT (1.0.4 onward) are all worthwhile, fast and efficient

What is your top advice?

woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

ttuuxxx

Re: MasterPup Class

#7 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:Should we remove fprot from the menu - it is in pupget?

Not sure if we can move up to sylpheed claws - which does HTML?

Can anyone set up a script or show how Gaim can be set so it automatically fires up the #puppylinux forum at irc.ICQ.net?

Does anyone use the Axel accelerator - any good?

Who has used Gphone, Skype on Puppy?

How about an ask the MasterPups on IRC twice a week?
GuestToo has agreed to give IRC a go - so this might be the chance we need . . .

:)
well as gaim goes here a picture how i did it on pidgin, should be the same, i did this one day to help someone in the #puppylinux who had problems load getting to the channel because he could speak english very well. hope it helps :)
Attachments
pidginhowtoas9.jpg
(100.36 KiB) Downloaded 985 times

eccentric

master class

#8 Post by eccentric »

Mr Lobster,
I use axel down load as my Chinese high speed 24/7 broad band is very very slow most of the day. it works very well for me and will reconnect when the download times out or just stops, you can also reload the infomation in to axel and it will restart from where it failed. even with 4 connecctions it will go from 0.9kbs to 50kbs on a good day.

I have prawns for lunch!!!!!!!!!!! Michael.

raffy

claws mail and skype

#9 Post by raffy »

tempestuous has done work on claws-mail. I will check if there is a dotpup... nope, can't find one.

Skype is easy to use. Download and decompress skype with qt library. Click on skype to run.

Minipup, a puplet with claws-mail and skype, is here with this checksum.

BTW, what does "MasterPup Class" mean? Also, could ttuuxxx make his image smaller so this thread will fit the screen? Thanks!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

alienjeff

#10 Post by alienjeff »

@raffy:

You do realize that you just replied to a post that is two and a half years old, don't you?
Last edited by alienjeff on Fri 02 Nov 2007, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

raffy

ha ha

#11 Post by raffy »

Nope - must be my tired eyes or maybe aging brain - or both :roll: Thanks for the rescue.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].