pcPuppyOS RC3 Now Available - 29 Jan 2008 EDIT: 30 Jan

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yes, the patched Blinky is there. It probably only starts up when you use starticewm instead of icewm.

I'm not sure what happened with xwin. As far as I can tell it's working fine. I tried xwin jwm and got the expected error. Then I tried xwin icewm and IceWM started. Then I hit <ctrl><backspace> and used xwin starticewm and that worked right too.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

swarnick

jwm and back to icewm

#22 Post by swarnick »

Pizzasgood--

Here is what I think I did. I will try and remember and also try to reproduce. It may be that what I was trying to do is just wrong
<ctrl><alt><backspace>
startx jwm
No error, changes /etc/currentwm
startx
crashes x as jwm is CURRENTWM but it isn't there
startx icewm
crashes x

It's supposed to be xwin jwm and xwin icewm. I thought startx passes the arguments to xwin, but I'm not sure.

I think you are done with this unless I can reproduce the error.

swarnick

another question

#23 Post by swarnick »

On tmmxine shard (puppy 3.01 base with xfce) I can recompile vim, gvim, slang, jed and xjed. The c compiler is devx_301.sfs.

On pcPuppyOS (puppy 3.01 base with icewm) the results are strange.
Vim compiles but the makefile doesn't find gvim.
Slang won't compile due to missing X server dependencies.
Jed and Xjed won't compile because slang is not valid.

Is there some reason why these compilations produce such different results on what is essentially the same Puppy 3.01 system? The only possibilities I can think of are: (1) pcPuppyOS uses different gtk2 and X libraries or (2) the compiler versions are different.

I will try the compilations again and capture the error--that make help someone shed some light for me.

Pizzasgood

#24 Post by Pizzasgood »

startx is just a symlink to xwin, so it shouldn't matter which you use.

Hmmm.... it looks like about 200 out of 17781 files are missing from the development package. That's odd. Must have been a bad copy or something. I'll have to fix that. Good catch. I compiled several things with it before and it never complained to me.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]