Is ATI 3D Rage Pro accelerated?

Using applications, configuring, problems

Is ATI 3D Rage Pro accelerated?

#1 Post by 106498 »

I used 3DCC to download the mach64 drivers that are supposed to enable video acceleration on my ATI 3d Rage Pro but 3DCC still says that acceleration isn't enabled. Does my card not support it or do I have to get a different driver? I did download everything else but the demo only runs at +- 5.5 fps.
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

tombh

#2 Post by tombh »

I might be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

The 2D drivers (i.e. the DRM modules) for the mach64 have 3D acceleration disabled by default because of a security risk. I don't know how severe, but I can't imagine it's that bad, but better safe than sorry. Anyway the point is that even if you install the 3D DRI modules with the default DRM modules, they will not work. So you need to get the patched DRM modules --which renable 3D acceleration-- separately and install them.

Patched versions of the mach64 DRM modules for Puppy 1, 2 and 3 can be found here.

#3 Post by 106498 »

I installed the patch (which your .pet made easy, thanks for that!). 3DCC now says its enabled but when I run any bzflag or the opengl demo the console prints

libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
libGL error: InitDriver failed
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks for your help so far!

tombh

#4 Post by tombh »

Mmm, not come across this before, perhaps there's a version mismatch somewhere. Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log return any errors of any kind? What version of Puppy are you using? I think maybe that 3DCC will install DRI modules compiled in Puppy 2, I think? But you say glxinfo reports DRI as active?

You see, for Puppy 3 I'd recommend setting up 3D manually, using the following packages:

xorg_DRI_MODULES-7.2.pet
xorg_OPENGL-7.2.pet

You should be able to just install these on top of what's already there -- it'll overwrite the old stuff.

Remember to reboot X though for X-changes to take effect.

Then edting /etc/X11/xorg.conf yourself, but perhaps 3DCC has already sorted that for you.

You may also need to sacrifice a brand new and unused nVidia graphics card, allowing the hot solder to drip onto your current card -- in honour of Graphicus the god of hardware accelerated graphics ;)

nic2109

#5 Post by nic2109 »

Have you also loaded the drivers? ATi cards are rather "slippery" and usually require the proprietory fglrx drivers. 3DCC can find and install it if you search for fglrx. It includes the DRM modules so you won't need to add them first. if you have already it doesn't matter but you will get "Are you sure?" popups about over-writing stuff.

Disclaimer (Sorry!) : I'm no expert, this is just my own experience based on the ATi X300 card in my laptop.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Is ATI 3D Rage Pro accelerated?

#6 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(deleted by SHS)

#7 Post by 106498 »

I installed those pets and now the demo runs at 14fps! Thats better than 5! I do get some more warnings in xorg.0.log these are the warning lines.

(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)

(WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.

(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32

Thats after running the demo if that makes any difference. Also in the console it prints

DISPATCH ERROR! _glapi_add_dispatch failed to add glAreTexturesResident!
DISPATCH ERROR! _glapi_add_dispatch failed to add glGenTextures!
DISPATCH ERROR! _glapi_add_dispatch failed to add glIsTexture!
Mesa 6.5.2 implementation error: User called no-op dispatch function (an unsupported extension function?)
Please report at bugzilla.freedesktop.org

Thats all the errors for now :)

@nic 2109 It says those are for newer cards I think and mines ancient. I did have a fancy ATI Radeon se 128 pci or something (for free!!) but that didnt work on my computer so I gave it to my brother.

nic2109

#8 Post by nic2109 »

106498 wrote:@nic 2109 It says those are for newer cards I think and mines ancient. I did have a fancy ATI Radeon se 128 pci or something (for free!!) but that didn't work on my computer so I gave it to my brother.
Thanks, I hadn't checked that out. :oops:

I realized after posting that I sounded much more knowledgeable than I really am!

Good luck.

Nick

tombh

#9 Post by tombh »

@106498: My suspicion is that the drm modules are newer than the OpenGL libraries and I would be inclined to get the latest OpenGL from GIT to resolve this. This wouldn't be very straight forward, however, it may be worth a shot in the dark trying one of the mach64 drm modules for older Puppies as I've read that older drm modules work with newer OpenGL libraries but not the other way around.

I compiled those mach64 modules for someone else who wanted to use Compiz-Fusion and as we discovered that the Rage Pro cannot run CF I never got to this point that you are at now. Therefore we got 3D going but didn't do anything with it as it was only required for CF. Anyway, the fact may be that those modules will not work with the Xorg_OPENGL-7.2.pet, as they're compiled from different sources.

Ideally it would be best to compile everything at the same time -- DRM, OpenGL (or Mesa as its called) and DRI. As you can see from here, this is an undertaking you'd want to avoid if you can!

BUT! I could be completely wrong, it would be good to get a bit more info from your machine, when I was developing wNOP (a compiz based puplet) I made a little script to dump various graphics info, see here. If you download, unpack and run that script then post the resulting tar.gz, I (or anyone else) might be able to find some clues. So do this first before anything else.

#10 Post by 106498 »

I run the script and it came up with this tar.gz. Thanks for your help so far! Oh did I mention that when I run anything 3d my mouse cursor turns into a big stripy block. Weird.

edit: I just noticed that this was printed in the console

./wNOPinspect: line 14: glxinfo: command not found
cat: /tmp/cfwizard_errs.log: No such file or directory
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
(10.87 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

tombh

#11 Post by tombh »

Mmm, looking at your dump everything seems good, all the relevant modules are loaded, Xorg reports no errors, xorg.conf is setup. Perhaps it would be worth seeing some glxinfo output.

Right, I've just tried upgrading my Mesa Library from the Slackware packages (you *are* using Puppy 3 right !?) -- and it worked fine :) So you shouldn't have to do any compiling -- phew!

The Mesa v7 package is here. Although Puppy 3 is slackware compatible their respective filesystems are slightly different -- especially regarding the x server. Theoretically you could just rename the package to .pet and double click but that wouldn't work. Besides you only need a couple of files from it. So instead double click, without renaming, to open up xarchive....

Inside, the files needed are:
(A) /usr/bin/glxinfo
(B) all those in /usr/lib/* (libGL etc, I think there's 4 altogether)
(C) /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/mach64_dri.so

Now
(A) can be copied straight over
(B) is copied to /usr/X11R7/lib/ -- but make sure the symlinks are updated. Each of the 4 files here has 2 associated symlinks, 3 of the files have the same filenames meaning the symlinks will not need updating but, libGLU.so.1.3.070002 has a different filename so make sure its 2 symlinks reflect that.
(C) this goes to /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/dri/

Now a full reboot. check FPS. perhaps another dump if there are still problems.

Please ask if anything is not entirely clear :)

#12 Post by 106498 »

Woohoo after figuring out how to do symlinks and rebooting I now get no more error messages when running opengl. Framerate is around 14 but I thinks thats the best I'll get with this card. Just one little problem. When running any opengl program the mouse cursor still turns into a big (about 40x40 pixel) block with vertical stripes, half of them white the other half show the background colours inverted. Weird. Thanks a lot for your help so far, it's really appreciated!

tombh

#13 Post by tombh »

Glad you got rid of the errors :)

Not that I really have any more ideas, but I just wanted to say that I reckon your card should be able to do more than 14FPS. But then that's with my experience form glxgears where hundreds if not thousands of FPS are the norm. Though of course you're probably using the ants one that comes with 3DCC where FPS is lower but I still reckon something near 50FPS is healthier. I just wonder what kind of success you might get in Puppy 2?