Pup214R v1.01 uploaded

News, happenings
MU

#41 Post by MU »

jamesbond wrote:Unfortunately my static version is around ~630kb - unlike the original was around ~130K.
Please try to strip binaries and libs.
strip /usr/bin/TEST
strip /usr/lib/TEST.so

"strip" removes developers debug-messages, those are not needed in the public binaries.

Mark

tempestuous

#42 Post by tempestuous »

Be patient guys. Upgraded NTFS support for 214R is on the way. So, too, upgraded ALSA.

Pizzasgood, Dougal has already noted those Network Wizard fixes for the next release. Expect upgraded wifi drivers, too.

Dougal

#43 Post by Dougal »

HairyWill wrote:I have recompiled e2fsprogs 1.40.5 and set the routine in resize2fs main.c which checks to see if the filesystem is mounted to ignore the result of the check. I have rebuilt pup_214.sfs with the modified resize2fs. One of the reasons I found this hard to spot was because the check_mount_point error being thrown by resize2fs was the same as the check_mount_point error from e2fsck. e2fsck ignores the error and repairs the filesystem anyway whilst resize2fs just exits
Oh my, you really went to a lot of trouble with this... I have a simpler solution that i intend to try: before running e2fsck/resize2fs I will just create /etc/mtab using /proc/mounts... should solve the problem.
Somewhere in all of this I also have a dodgy clock so most of the time the superblock last mount time is about 8 hours ahead. I have noticed this before and just confirmed this using e2fsdebug. hwclock and date both agree on the correct time.
8 hours ahead?
When we're in the initial ramdisk the clock is not set, so we're always somewhere in 1970, so if you run e2fsck (or resize2fs) it sets the "last checked" date to that...
When I added pfix=fsck I had that problem and tried setting the clock (and making sure it was set!) before running fsck, but for some reason it still said 1970! So I ended up moving the checks for all partitions other than the one with the pup_save to shutdown (also doesn't keep the user waiting).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Dougal

#44 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:The single biggest annoyance so far is that the Geany key-bindings are all different. Not hard for me to change back or anything, just annoying :roll:
That's Enrico, not me... they changed to more "standard" keybindings. It took me a while to stop hitting Ctrl+Y and using F3...

Since I'm procrastinating over something (I forget what), I decided to look at the /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh script. I notice these lines (927,928):

Code: Select all

if [ ${KEY_SIZE} -lt 9 ] || [ ${KEY_SIZE} -gt 64 ] ; then
			Xdialog --left --title "Puppy Network Wizard" --msgbox "Shared key must be either\n- Alphanumeric betwen 8 and 63 characters or\n- 64 characters hexadecimal " 0 0 		
I'm pretty sure that should be -lt 8

Also, back in December I had access to some WPA-capible equipment, and from what I could tell the line at 951:

wpa_cli reconfigure >> ${TMPLOG} 2>&1
was causing issues. It seemed to run fine without it, and seems redundant since wpa_supplicant is shut down in the next line anyways. Also, when that line caused an error, I had to completely bring down the interface before it would go away.

I don't know a whole lot about WPA though, as I only messed with it for about a week. So maybe that line is important for some reason I don't see.
All that has been fixed a while ago, we just haven't updated the iso yet (there's a service pack that's been "nearly ready" for more than a month..).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#45 Post by Dougal »

HairyWill wrote:This can be overcome by binding the qiv command to something like
2) killall qiv ; defaultpaint "$2"
killing qiv is not ideal but probably better than the risk of hanging it
Does that work at all? The way qiv-command works is that it runs as a sub-process of qiv and as a result you can't close qiv until you have closed the application that's running as a sub-process...
It's odd that the app opens behind qiv.
We need something more sophisticated than this, since you don't want to kill all qiv processes...
I wonder if there is any way to send qiv a signal to force it out of fullscreen?
There probably is -- it has heaps of options and keybindings -- but the problem is that qiv will probably fill up the screen when viewing a huge image...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

jamesbond

#46 Post by jamesbond »

@NewCrest - in my earlier test with 2.16, it still have the same performance problem as 2.15CE. I'm sure the bloat in my compiled NTFS is due to my own foresight ...

@MU - Thanks, I tried, but still the same :shock:

@Rest of 2.14R team - Thanks !
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Pizzasgood

#47 Post by Pizzasgood »

(there's a service pack that's been "nearly ready" for more than a month..)
I know how that goes. I've given myself an ultimatum to get all my "almost done" stuff finished by Sunday. My original plan was to have it all done by mid October. Last October that is. :shock:

Speaking of which, part if that stuff involves adding a boot.msg type deal to USB installs. Then when booting from USB you get the ability to add boot options ans such, just like with live-cd. It's pretty simple; mainly needs a tweak to the install scripts so they copy in a template syslinux.cfg file then append the final line to it (rather than creating the whole file on the fly). That way the same file can be used when setting up syslinux, extlinux, and isolinux, without having to modify code in a dozen places when you want to change some minor detail.

I should have it all togeather for 3.01 and 2.14 tonight, and maybe 2.14R (assuming there's a difference in the relevant scripts; haven't looked yet).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#48 Post by Pizzasgood »

In case you're interested in the syslinux modifications I mentioned above, I just uploaded them here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 777#172777

Something to be aware of if you use it: my version uses f2.msg rather than f2.

Also, if you don't use it, I should let you know that as far as I can tell you didn't modify the remaster script nor the mulitisession scripts to take in account for the f2 file you added.
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown
/usr/sbin/pupremaster.sh
/usr/sbin/savesession-dvd

It's an easy fix, just use find to locate where it copies the boot.msg file, and add a line for f2. All three of the scripts are about the same.

One other thing about 2.14R that I took a while to realize: I like the GTK theme, but it's hard to tell at a glance if a check box is checked or unchecked. It took forever before I realized why Seamonkey wouldn't just shut up when I tried checking my email :lol:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

pakt

#49 Post by pakt »

Pizzasgood wrote:I like the GTK theme, but it's hard to tell at a glance if a check box is checked or unchecked.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It took Dougal and me quite some time to decide on a good GTK theme. It seems every one had some bad trait, e.g., while testing, there always seemed to be an app where the foreground colour and background colour were nearly the same making text hard to read. This one turned out to be the best compromise...

I do wish there was some way of changing the check boxes to use a check mark though :-/
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

ecomoney

Puppy CE

#50 Post by ecomoney »

Hi guys

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for bringing out a thoroughly tested puppy. Im looking forward to the updated drivers/NTFS support. The first CE alpha will not be going out without these enhancements.

Keep up the good work!!! Woof Woof
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ecomoney

Progress Report

#51 Post by ecomoney »

Hi there, how is the progress going? Were looking to start the development of the CE edition based on this soon and release an alpha.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Pizzasgood

#52 Post by Pizzasgood »

I found another bug the other day that I was going to mention, but then I forgot what it was... I noticed it again today though, so here it is:

In the /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller script, it gives you the option to mount an iso to get the pup_xxx.sfs file. This uses a loop device. Since it wasn't specified which, it will generally grab /dev/loop2. That's a problem later, because the part that mounts pup_xxx.sfs (line 1417) is hardcoded to use /dev/loop2. This would also be a problem if the user had something else mounted (like an old pup_save.2fs file). Changing:

losetup-FULL /dev/loop2 $SRCPATH/pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs
mkdir $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
echo "mounting pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs on $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt"
mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop2 $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
to:

LODEV=`losetup-FULL -f`
losetup-FULL $LODEV $SRCPATH/pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs
mkdir $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
echo "mounting pup_${NEWVER}R.sfs on $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt"
mount -r -t squashfs $LODEV $DESTMNTPT/srcmntpt
would let it use any loop device while still explicitly using losetup to mount it.

While working on Pebble over the weekend, I figured out what broke my Pizzapup install and fixed it. So I'm mostly done with 2.14R for the time being. It's been fun, but I'm not quite ready to scrap my old install just yet.

Keep up the good work :)

jrb

#53 Post by jrb »

Hi Dougal,
Love hotpup and pfix=blacklist. I've just done full install to my harddrive (twice) and FYI it won't recognize usb flash drives in any way: hotpup, mut, pmount, or command line. I've tried 5 different drives of various types and sizes. Works fine from liveCD however. It's also the first puppy edition that's recognized my mrv8k wireless card.

tempestuous

#54 Post by tempestuous »

jrb wrote:It's also the first puppy edition that's recognized my mrv8k wireless card.
The wifi drivers in Pup214R were updated, and we included the mrv8k driver (for Marvell Libertas Wifi chipsets).
This driver has been available as an additional package for Puppy for a long time now, from -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/
but you're the first person to report anything about it.

Does it work? Can you make a wifi connection?

If you want to use WEP encryption, you will probably need to load the wifi WEP module, like this -

modprobe ieee80211_crypt_wep
and maybe also these encryption modules -

modprobe arc4
modprobe ecb
But the mrv8k driver does not support WPA encryption.

jrb

#55 Post by jrb »

Sorry tempestuous.
Sadly the mrv8k doesn't find my network. I have this machine wired in and when I saw mrv8k wireless indicated I assumed it was correct without trying it. When I scan it doesn't pick up my unencrypted network, which my laptop does. This is a trendnet tew421pc wireless card which I have only used with ndiswrapper.

More info on my harddrive install. I formatted the drive and then did full install. On the 1st boot I get full usb drive function. On 2nd, 3rd, etc. it disappears. Strangely enough after all this, I uninstalled Seamonkey and installed Opera9.5b-staticqt and then remastered the CD (had to manually replace pup_0R.sfs with pup_214R.sfs in pupremaster.sh) and the new CD is fully functional including usb drives.

joe-roberts

mrv8k wifi card and driver

#56 Post by joe-roberts »

I also noticed the detection and loading of the native mrv8k driver, great as I have been using ndiswrapper forever now. but it didn't work. the log indicates that it failed to load a firmware file.

I have located the firmware files in the zdrv file and plan to copy them into the appropriate location in my save file. But I haven't had a chance to try this yet. My puppy computer is very busy most of the time so I don't often have a chance to test new things. Thanks for a great puppy.

Puppy PC: Dell PIII 450 MHz cpu, 512 MB ram, 160GB hd. Backup Storage, Firewall, Router, Mail service etc. for a 5 PC network.

jrb

#57 Post by jrb »

Inspried by joe roberts, I am attaching the /var/log/message.
Attachments
mrv8kerror-messages.txt.gz
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 701 times

tony

Wireless bug in 214R

#58 Post by tony »

Hi,

Using teenpup which is based on 214 I get no problems. I can connect with my Toshiba portage 4010 laptop (orinoco_cs) and my mainframe
(rt2500).

With 214R, again I have no trouble connecting with mainframe.

With laptop the orinoco_cs driver is not loaded at boot. If I load it with modprobe I still can't get wireless.

I have tried the drivers from teenpup with the same result.

Anyone know of a procedure I can use to remedy the situation ?

Regards Tony.

ecomoney

router

#59 Post by ecomoney »

Joe, I would be very interested in how you got puppy to run all of the network services you have, would be useful for the cybercafe

joe-roberts

RE: Router

#60 Post by joe-roberts »

>Joe, I would be very interested in how you got puppy to run all of the network services you have, would be useful for the cybercafe

Ecomoney:
My setup is quite primitive, serves only 5 lightly used PCs, and not secure at all. I guess that’s why its performance is acceptable. Everything I use I found in this forum so the credit belongs to others here.

The setup is a DSL modem on eth0 for internet access. Local LAN is on wlan0 in Ad-Hoc mode. The 5 PCs connect to wlan0 rather than an access point appliance. The printer has its own wifi card (otherwise it would be installed on this PC too).

Router functionality consists of enabling packet forwarding and NAT in the kernel. The default route sends every packet not intended for a local LAN IP to the DSL modem which itself forwards them out to the internet.

The Backup Storage consists of a cron job that runs rsync against the home directory of each of the client PCs several times a day. I does not delete backup files so its not a mirror. The client PCs run rsync as a daemon so they share the work of determining the bits that update the backup.

Samba is configured to publicly share the whole 160GB FAT32 drive to the local LAN only (rejects anything from eth0). Puppy’s 1GB of files and swap are not shared.

Firewall is iptables with only a few rules, these I have picked up from several examples in the forums. I often fiddle with the rules as some program or other doesn’t work as expected. Because we don’t provide ANY services or access from the internet into the LAN (this is why it works for me) it can be kept very simple.

Mail services consists of the standard UNIX mail program providing POP3/SMTP to the LAN from local storage. Incoming mail is provided by “yahoopops