Speak-Pup V .01

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Trobin

Speak-Pup V .01

#1 Post by Trobin »

Filename.............................................speak2pup.iso
Md5sum..............................................2340b828a26afa749c51a4925232458 speak2pup.iso
File Size...............................................168,265,728
Hosted at..............................................http://puppylinux.ca/members/Seeing-Eye-Puppy/

The line up for this version of Speak-pup is as follows:

email - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Alpine
Text Processing- - - - - - - - - - - - - MP
Internet- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Elinks
Chat- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Centerim
File Manager- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Ytree
Screen Reader- - - - - - - - - - - - - - YASR
Speech Interface- - - - - - - - - - - - -Speech Dispatcher
Speech Server- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Espeak

The iso is 161 Mb.

This time everything is in there, including brllty-3.9. I still consider speak-pup in an experimental state yet.

There is a new menu entry - m for maintenance. It will bring up a new menu, giving an option to run alsaconf. And configure (hopefully) alsa for your system. Future additions to the maintenance menu will allow you to set up internet. printing, back up etc.

I have no idea (yet) of how to get brllty up and running.

Trobin

#2 Post by Trobin »

Best way to set up the internet, and anything else, is to use MP (choice b) on the menu, to edit the /etc/profile script. The very last line tells the script to run the menu script. Placce a '#' Shift 3 to comment out the line. Save and reboot.

Once Speak-Pup reboots, it should not run the menu, type xorgwizard to set up the window system. Sound will not work while the windows system is operationg. There may be some overlap until Espeak finishes reading the screen that nwas up before the windowing system is up. Set up the internet and printing according to your system.

use the ROX filemangare to go to /usr/X11R7/bin and delete the X symlink.

Use the filemanage to go to /etc. Open the Profile script as tex and uncomment the last line. Save the file nd reboot.

djringjr

Click Me Download Location

#3 Post by djringjr »

dfh

Darn, No Go

#4 Post by dfh »

Hmmm, in 0.001, I got speech but fatal errors with the test sound. Now, in 0.01, I hear a "woof!" but no speech. I can't get brltty to load either. I tried the following after pressing "x" in Ytree:

brltty -d ttyUSB0 -b bl

(where -d device is USB and -b is the parameter for the braille driver and display, bl or Braille Lite)

Trobin

#5 Post by Trobin »

Version 01 has a new menu option "m" it should open another menu, with an option to run alsaconf. Maybe give that a try.

Trobin

#6 Post by Trobin »

Okay I suppose that was a bit of a silly question.

I loaded speak-pup 01 and ran alsaconf. I got the "woof" that indicated that alsa had recognized my sound card. But lost speech, so I'm assuming that speech dispatcher, or yasr got disrupted somehow. I didn't get them working until I rebooted.

How are you running speak-pup? From a livecd or hard disk install?

Trobin

#7 Post by Trobin »

Could you try running alsaconfig, until you get the woof, and then reboot? Thank ou.

dfh

alsoconf

#8 Post by dfh »

I'm working from a live CD. I tried saving my file before rebooting, once I got the test sound, but it blew up on me. No sound whatsoever in that case ...

Trobin

#9 Post by Trobin »

I think alsa is recognising your sound card, but the settings may not be saved.

Do you have a regular copy of Puppy Liniux you could try?

dfh

#10 Post by dfh »

Trobin wrote:I think alsa is recognising your sound card, but the settings may not be saved.

Yes, I think my husband can help me test one. Am I just testing to see if there's sound in general? If so, I'll try that.

Trobin

#11 Post by Trobin »

dfh wrote:
Trobin wrote:I think alsa is recognising your sound card, but the settings may not be saved.

Yes, I think my husband can help me test one. Am I just testing to see if there's sound in general? If so, I'll try that.
Yes. Speak-pup is based on Puppy 2.17. I want to know if something I've added to it has caused the problem. Thank you.

Oh and what kind o computer you are using. It's possible that a user on the forum might have the answer.

dfh

#12 Post by dfh »

quote="Trobin"]I think alsa is recognising your sound card, but the settings may not be saved.

Do you have a regular copy of Puppy Liniux you could try?[/quote]

Yes, I think my husband can help me test one. Am I just testing to see if there's sound in general? If so, I'll try that.[/quote]

Yes. Speak-pup is based on Puppy 2.17. I want to know if something I've added to it has caused the problem. Thank you.

Oh and what kind o computer you are using. It's possible that a user on the forum might have the answer.[/quote]
I'm using a laptop, toshiba satellite with realtech integrated sound. I haven't tested a standard version, but I will later today. Thanks. :)

Trobin

#13 Post by Trobin »

Thank you.