"best" pcmcia wireless card for Puppy 3.01?

neuron

"best" pcmcia wireless card for Puppy 3.01?

#1 Post by neuron »

I have installed Puppy on an old laptop and want to start using it more often with the possibility of switching to it completely.

However, I am having wireless connection difficulties. I have a Linksys WPC11 ver.3 PCMCIA card that works to some extent, but only on open networks and even then the internet seems to run quite slowly.

I need a card that will work with both open and WEP encrypted networks with a quick connection. Any specific recommendations? I saw the list of devices that work, but are any better than the others?

Thanks!

Regards,
~neuron

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

I have used Belkin (forget the model) with the ath_pci driver successfully.

This is on open only.

I found it to be fast and reliable.

EDIT: Belkin F5D7010 using ath_pci

Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Mon 04 Feb 2008, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Delboy

#3 Post by Delboy »

I am getting WEP 128 bit encryption with NOP Puppy (3.01) OK. using my Linksys WPC54G-S pcmcia card. I made sure it was not in the slot initially so it was not autoconfigured incorrectly, inserted it following boot, and then picked 'load module' from the menu. Scrolling down the list to pick 'bcm3xxx' gives a successful network interface message. (Using the windows .inf driver file with ndiswrapper does not work in Puppy for me). I scan for a network and select mine from a list of local ones -> save -> use this. 26 character WEP key is entered and ASCii button checked. I enter all the same settings data and keys in Rutilt and connect with that.

Next task is to get it fully automated on reboot. I have to scan in Rutilt and select my network each time on fresh boot but hey! I am amazed I have got this far with this old machine anyway.
Toshiba Portege 3440CT, 192mbRAM, 300mhz., 11.5" LCD wth Savage S3 IX MV graphics, Linksys WPC54G-S wireless card and Micronet ADSL2+ router on Tiscali UK.