Speak-Pup Version 0.001

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

Watch this film. We are penguins.
http://wip.warnerbros.com/marchofthepenguins/
The March of the Penguins has a very good commentary.
I know even totally blind people still engage with TV
- the word 'watch' is used generically in this sense. :)

Human interfaces. Including voice are very important for the future of open source. The huge interest in this project might be of interest to developers who require prompting and feedback to some of their voice programs . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dfh

Email Client

#22 Post by dfh »

[quote="Trobin"]Just wanted to apologize to everyone who tried speak-pup and were not able to use email. Elmo is installed in OneBone-210-elinks, and it nevr occured to me that when I upgraded the Puppy Version to 2.17 that Elmo would not come long for the ride. THus there is no email program in speak-pup.

I've downloaded Elmo and tried to instal it in 217, but I get a "segmentation fault" error. I'll have a new iso as soon as I can find a console email clien t that I cn install.[/quo

Would mutt work, perhaps? Well, the name is definitely appropriate. :)

Trobin

#23 Post by Trobin »

I've looked at Mutt and was somwhat less than satisfied.
I do have another iso ready to go, and will upload it as soon as possible. Filecruncher is undergoing maintenace.

Line up is:

Operating System......................................Puppy 2.17
Screen Reader............................................Yasr
Voice synthesizer.......................................FreeTTS
Email................................................................Alpine
Text Editer....................................................MP
Chat.................................................................Centerim
File Manager.................................................Ytree

dfh

kudos for the Interesting Project

#24 Post by dfh »

This is a very interesting project. I'm totally blind, and I can give you some feedback on what I've encountered so far.

Brltty has to be configured for each user, depending on the Braille display and port used, along with language settings. As a computer user who knows about enough to be dangerous, but might not know enough to be as useful as I could, I'm not sure how to load Brltty at boot, but I've tried it with other distributions. Anyway, the above parameters would have to be specified.

I'm used to that particular speech synthesizer, so I don't have a problem with it at all. There are better ones, but they aren't free in any sense of the word.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and the sound has only come up once in the approx. 20 times i've booted up Speak Pup. I suspect there's a sound driver issue somewhere. all the more reason to get Brltty loaded on my system.

Two suggestions: put a shell option in the menu. This would make it easier to load brltty and do many other tasks in the console. Also, would it be possible to have a pause at the boot prompt for parameters to be entered?

Thanks

Trobin

#25 Post by Trobin »

{quote]This is a very interesting project. I'm totally blind, and I can give you some feedback on what I've encountered so far. [/quote]

I would very much appreciate some input.
Brltty has to be configured for each user, depending on the Braille display and port used, along with language settings. As a computer user who knows about enough to be dangerous, but might not know enough to be as useful as I could, I'm not sure how to load Brltty at boot, but I've tried it with other distributions. Anyway, the above parameters would have to be specified.
I suppose some sort of bash script could be written first to get the settings, and then to save them into a file that would be read when ever Speak-pup is booted. The script could also check for the file and if found wouldn't have to re-ask for the settings.
As a computer user who knows about enough to be dangerous, but might not know enough to be as useful as I could,
We might be in the same boat there. Fortunately the Puppy community has Gurus who jump in and help.
put a shell option in the menu.
As soon as I know how to do that. It's easy to do in a windowing system, but I don't know how to do it on the command line. But as soon as I can figure out how to open another shell, or find a command or program that des so, I'll put it in if I can. So far the closest I've come to it is the command line in the file manager.

raffy

sound driver

#26 Post by raffy »

I suspect there's a sound driver issue somewhere.
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 303#171303
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Trobin

#27 Post by Trobin »

you could try this
open the file manager form the menu
Press the "x" key to open up a command line
Type in "alsaconf"

That should start the Alsa wizard so it can do a search for your sound card.

I tried compileing the latest Alsa with out any luck. :(

dfh

#28 Post by dfh »

Trobin wrote:you could try this
open the file manager form the menu
Press the "x" key to open up a command line
Type in "alsaconf"

That should start the Alsa wizard so it can do a search for your sound card.

I tried compileing the latest Alsa with out any luck. :(
I'm going to give that one a try; couldn't hurt. I'm learning more and more, slowly but surely, about using the terminal. Thanks.

Trobin

#29 Post by Trobin »

let me know how it works.
Thanks.

Trobin

#30 Post by Trobin »

Also, would it be possible to have a pause at the boot prompt for parameters to be entered?
I was just re-reading the thread. There is such a pause in the boot process. I know knoppix uses such a pause to enter the brltty parmeters, or used to. I don't think it's in the latest version.

This would be long before the screen reader kicks in. It might be possible to have puppy make a beep when it starts and when it ends. I may not be able to do that though.

djringjr

#31 Post by djringjr »

Right when the start screen is shown in Puppy there are boot parameters written there.

You can enter them by entering the boot image (puppy) and the parameter you need:

puppy [parameters] [Enter]

The drivers could be listed there to load but they won't be stored and saved. People will have to load them each time.

dfh

Alsa Conf

#32 Post by dfh »

Trobin wrote:let me know how it works.
Thanks.
ok, I tried "alsaconf" at the command line and it works. the wizard finds my sound drivers and I just hit enter a few times to confirm its findings. The settings don't seem to be saved after I quit my session, though. That's ok; it's not a problem to repeat this process. At least it does give consistent results.

As for Brltty, I can't seem to load this for some reason. The command is not recognized. I don't know if my USB device isn't recognized or if there is a glitch somewhere else ...

Trobin

#33 Post by Trobin »

Thanks for the response, and I'm glad the alsaconf thing is working, though I have no idea why the settings aren't being saved. As for brltty, I'm sure I stuck it into that version.

I'm just about ready to make a new iso. i'll make sure that brltty is in it. I'll probably need a lot of help with it though.