Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 16:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate PC?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4796
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 20:31    Post subject:  Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate PC?
Subject description: developers curious about working on low-power computing are welcome
 

Alternative low-power PCs are already around, something that boosts (is boosted by ?) Puppy development. Puppy makes the emerging mobile x86 platform a serious undertaking, whereas before, people would not give it much thought.

Initially, no less than Puppy creator Barry Kauler welcomed a "$100 PC" project, but got no positive response. Now, we've seen that Intel has welcomed Puppy through initial cooperation with Barry. In the global market, Vietnam's Hacao (based on Puppy) has succeeded in becoming a contender for Vietnam's education project through Intel's Classmate PC.

Here is an opportunity to join in expanding knowledge about the "ultra-mobile PC". Our usual way is simply joining Puppy's development, but you can enhance your effort by getting your hands on the latest hardware (a possibility).

If you feel you have the time for this, then please let me know via PM or post a reply below. The deal: if you signify interest to receive the hardware prototype, your email address, postal address as well as phone number will be requested (Later, it's possible that your email address will be added to a developer mailing list).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10843
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2008, 23:11    Post subject: Re: Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate
Subject description: developers curious about working on low-power computing are welcome
 

raffy wrote:
Alternative low-power PCs are already around, something that boosts (is boosted by ?) Puppy development. Puppy makes the emerging mobile x86 platform a serious undertaking, whereas before, people would not give it much thought.

Initially, no less than Puppy creator Barry Kauler welcomed a "$100 PC" project, but got no positive response. Now, we've seen that Intel has welcomed Puppy through initial cooperation with Barry. In the global market, Vietnam's Hacao (based on Puppy) has succeeded in becoming a contender for Vietnam's education project through Intel's Classmate PC.

Here is an opportunity to join in expanding knowledge about the "ultra-mobile PC". Our usual way is simply joining Puppy's development, but you can enhance your effort by getting your hands on the latest hardware (a possibility).

If you feel you have the time for this, then please let me know via PM or post a reply below. The deal: if you signify interest to receive the hardware prototype, your email address, postal address as well as phone number will be requested (Later, it's possible that your email address will be added to a developer mailing list).


Hey raffy I think I could be a large asset for a project like this, I have a few excellent ideas how the operating system should work,look,feel. Does that mean you'll send a laptop?
lol ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tronkel


Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Posts: 1104
Location: Vienna Austria

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 04:24    Post subject:  

Yes, a very good point Raffy.

These small plastic mobile PC's could get so cheap, that they could be installed on the customer's wall by ISPs or telecoms companies. (all included in the ISP package).

What does this mean for Puppy development? Could well be that all this dinosaur metallic PC hardware that we go to so much trouble to provide suitable OS's for will very soon be history. It may not even be worthwhile doing too much more with the Puppy 2 series, since nobody will be using the hardware it was designed for. Same applies to 3 series as well.

Barry is right about concentrating his development effort on the next generation of mobile hardware. That's where it's at now. It can only be a matter of weeks/months now before we see this actually happening.

Also web services will play a key role here.

Puppy is ahead of the game and is well placed to take a central position in this new world of thin computing. It may even be the case that it will be one of the few Linuces that will survive in this new kind of computing world. Time to learn all about it I'd say. I'm saving up my pennies for a Classmate (if I can find one!)

Any volunteers for Puppy Linux CE Classmate-1.0 -opera_mini.iso ?

_________________
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10843
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 04:30    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
Yes, a very good point Raffy.

These small plastic mobile PC's could get so cheap, that they could be installed on the customer's wall by ISPs or telecoms companies. (all included in the ISP package).

What does this mean for Puppy development? Could well be that all this dinosaur metallic PC hardware that we go to so much trouble to provide suitable OS's for will very soon be history. It may not even be worthwhile doing too much more with the Puppy 2 series, since nobody will be using the hardware it was designed for. Same applies to 3 series as well.

Barry is right about concentrating his development effort on the next generation of mobile hardware. That's where it's at now. It can only be a matter of weeks/months now before we see this actually happening.

Also web services will play a key role here.

Puppy is ahead of the game and is well placed to take a central position in this new world of thin computing. It may even be the case that it will be one of the few Linuces that will survive in this new kind of computing world. Time to learn all about it I'd say. I'm saving up my pennies for a Classmate (if I can find one!)

Any volunteers for Puppy Linux CE Classmate-1.0 -opera_mini.iso ?


I wouldn't go with opera, I would go with skipstone, the reason why its really basic, has good features, and I could make a real nice theme for it:)
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7084
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 08:18    Post subject:  

I'm probably not supposed to blab about what the Intel engineer has told me about the next Classmate. One thing though, is it will have a 9 inch screen -- that may be an option, I'm not sure. The current model has a 7 inch screen. This is no surprise, it's what we expect as these baby laptops are made to a price. The 7 inch LCDs are mass produced for DVD players and so cheap, but the 9 inch screen will move down in price. I think the Eee PC will soon have a 9 inch screen to.
You can see in both of them, there is room for a bigger screen, so they have planned ahead.

UPDATE: I think an 8 inch screen was mentioned as a possibility too.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/

Last edited by BarryK on Mon 28 Jan 2008, 19:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
alienjeff


Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Posts: 2291
Location: Winsted, CT - USA

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 12:55    Post subject: Re: Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate
Subject description: developers curious about working on low-power computing are welcome
 

raffy wrote:
... but you can enhance your effort by getting your hands on the latest hardware (a possibility) ... The deal: if you signify interest to receive the hardware prototype ...



_________________
hangout: ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
diversion: http://alienjeff.net - visit The Fringe
quote: "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
koolie

Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 556

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 16:39    Post subject: Re: Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate
Subject description: developers curious about working on low-power computing are welcome
 

raffy wrote:
The deal: if you signify interest to receive the hardware prototype, your email address, postal address as well as phone number will be requested (Later, it's possible that your email address will be added to a developer mailing list).


Who gets to have access to this information, and where is it stored and displayed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4796
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 19:51    Post subject: access to information  

koolie wrote:
Who gets to have access to this information, and where is it stored and displayed?

I guess it's the same with a website requiring user information - you have to give personal information like email address. If you do, there's a good chance that you would receive information updates or questions from the site. AJ is pointing this out as the "no free lunch" situation. If you can live with that and you feel that your work goes along the same direction anyway (mobile, low-cost PCs), then you may choose to participate. It's all voluntary.

In this case, there is an Intel engineer* who has offered sending prototype Classmate PC to interested Puppy developers. Note that Barry has referred to an "engineer" in his blog a few times.

However, I plead to the reader not to dump emotional load on the person - he is an ally in this case, coming to us and offering to cooperate. While he has his own influence in the organization - promoting Puppy among his other pet ideas - he would have organizational boundaries (and bosses) to worry about, so please give him some slack. (if you want to refer to him, please just say "engineer", OK? Smile )

Let's approach this very positively, the usual way of the Puppy Linux community.
--------------------------
* Edit: Link to personal site was removed (as announced here).

Last edited by raffy on Mon 28 Jan 2008, 23:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
JustGreg

Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 739
Location: Connecticut USA

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 23:14    Post subject:  

As AJ, with his negative comment, graphically points out; "There is no free lunch". However, I say "one hand washes the other". The information being requested is the same (maybe less) this is collected when one places an internet order. The amount of money for Intel is very small. It sounds like the 'engineer" has been told to "think outside of the box" by management. The "engineer" sees that puppy can meet the demands for a small robust operating system with sufficient applications to meet the needs of most users and is an "out of the box" solution.

At the start of the microprocessor age, Motorola handed out samples of its 6800 series and development kits. At the time, a 6800 microprocess cost about fifty to seventy US dollars for the device alone. The development kit was about 200 to 300 dollars. The dollar was worth a lot more then. One of the processor/kit samples ended up in the hands of a Mr. Jobs. Which is why Apple used the Motorola processors for a long time. In technology, spending small amounts of money in giving away samples can produce some great ideas that use the product.

Do you really think if you take part in this you will lose and only Intel will profit. If you like Puppy, here is a great chance for it to become a big part of the future. Haco is doing it with the Classmate in Vietnam.

_________________
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
koolie

Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 556

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 00:08    Post subject: Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate PC?  

@raffy

I didnt mean to imply anything in regard to the offer.

My stumbling block is the requirement for a telephone number.
Ordinarily, if some site requires a phone no. I wont deal with them, or I give a bogus no. , which I wouldnt do in this case.

I have no problem with someone like HP having my no., but who else gets hold of it is a concern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
iottmco


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 00:31    Post subject: Re: Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate  

koolie wrote:
@raffy

I didnt mean to imply anything in regard to the offer.

My stumbling block is the requirement for a telephone number.
Ordinarily, if some site requires a phone no. I wont deal with them, or I give a bogus no. , which I wouldnt do in this case.

I have no problem with someone like HP having my no., but who else gets hold of it is a concern.


To ship with Fedex, they require a phone number, an address and a name.
Phone number is used so that they can contact you if they deliver and you are not there. I shipped some books to Cape Verde and they ended up in Cape Verde, Chile. Fedex, bless them, worked this out by phoning the person I had sent the books to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
John Doe

Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 1689
Location: Michigan, US

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 00:51    Post subject:  

AJ is always the one on the left.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4796
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 02:15    Post subject: Supply exhausted  

Looks like supply has been exhausted. Thanks for your PMs. I will post again if there is another opportunity.

I received clarification to the effect that the available units are among the first build of the Classmate PC. It may not be fresh out of the box - the unit that I would receive may have been used in a few demo activities already. No problem there. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
koolie

Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 556

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 02:50    Post subject: Re: Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate  

iottmco wrote:

To ship with Fedex, they require a phone number, an address and a name.
Phone number is used so that they can contact you if they deliver and you are not there. I shipped some books to Cape Verde and they ended up in Cape Verde, Chile. Fedex, bless them, worked this out by phoning the person I had sent the books to.


Exactly right.

Not wanting to dwell on this too long..
Because of where I live, it is very convenient to buy lots of stuff online, but:
I only do purchases using secure transactions, and I always give my phone no.
This, for me, is a blessing, as they always ring to see if I am going to be home before they come out here, and allows me to be there when they arrive.

To me, giving out my phone number, not knowing where it is going to be displayed, is not worth a truckload of freebies.

I have already had to alter my email address on the forum due to many solicitations from "cute young girls in Africa needing a sponsor to immigrate".. etc, etc.
originating from having that address publicly available on the forum.

Barry is the only one here who has my details now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
delphi

Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2008, 03:07    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
I'm probably not supposed to blab about what the Intel engineer has told me about the next Classmate. One thing though, is it will have a 9 inch screen


One of the obvious uses of a machine of this type is as an eBook reader (or other content for that matter). Unless Classmate PC's screen resolution is increased from its current 800 x 480 (compare this to OLPC XO's max 1200×900 resolution), the increased screen size is not going to make things much better... Here is a good example of what I mean:
( http://www.olpcnews.com/hardware/screen/olpc_xo_resolution_display.html )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1139s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0113s) ][ GZIP on ]