Dingo Alpha 5 of 11 Jan. Issues (aka Bugs or Problems)

Please post any bugs you have found
wmwragg

2.6.24-rc8 kernel Testing

#81 Post by wmwragg »

Been testing this on my EeePC (4G-701 (with 1MB RAM)), and the shutdown is working fine. Did multiple shutdowns, and restart/shutdowns, and all worked without problems. This was from a USB stick.

Hope this helps.

divisionmd

release dates

#82 Post by divisionmd »

Hello all!

Puppy Dingo is going to be excellent when its final version is released.

I have tested the Alpha version for awhile now, and i have these questions:

1. (If possbile to answer) Is there a timeframe on when the final (stabel) release of Dingo will be out?

2. Is there a bug list somewere that people report bugs/errors to regarding Dingo Alpha?

3. Who is responsible for that yellow theme?

Best regards,
Johan

nic2109

Re: release dates

#83 Post by nic2109 »

divisionmd wrote:Hello all!

Puppy Dingo is going to be excellent when its final version is released.

I have tested the Alpha version for awhile now, and i have these questions:

1. (If possbile to answer) Is there a timeframe on when the final (stabel) release of Dingo will be out?

2. Is there a bug list somewere that people report bugs/errors to regarding Dingo Alpha?

3. Who is responsible for that yellow theme?

Best regards,
Johan
Hi. Firstly you MUST read through Barry's blog to get the news on the state of development and the (tentative) release schedule. It can be found at http://puppylinux.com/blog/. This will prevent postings about "bugs" which are really "not-done-yets" or "can't-do-yets".

You also need to read through the bug threads for the release (currently it's at Alpha5, with Alpha6 due any day now that the latest kernel is out). You will also read a LOT of discussion about
that yellow theme
. Then, if you do find any new bugs, then the Alpha5 bugs/comments thread is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25348.

Hope this helps.

Nick

divisionmd

ok

#84 Post by divisionmd »

Ok,

Thanks Nick!

Will monitor the http://puppylinux.com/blog/ for latest releases/information.

Ok nice to try the next Alpha 6 version, when its out.

Just out of curiosity what people is currently involved in developing Puppy, except Barry of course?

Best regards,
Johan

nic2109

Re: ok

#85 Post by nic2109 »

divisionmd wrote:Just out of curiosity what people is currently involved in developing Puppy, except Barry of course?
Puppy is pretty loose in its organisation except concerning the future direction and official releases and packages where the "Benevolent Dictator" model is used. Barry does whatever he wants, and others contribute by testing and providing point solutions according to their specific expertise.

Hang around in this Forum for a while and you will see the same names crop up repeatedly. Many of these are long-standing contributers, while others have built their own Puplets. Some deal with Linux internals, others are coders or good with visuals and provide Themes and so on.

Do join in; it's a great community. :D

Oh, and Puppy is the world's best OS by the way, so you won't regret it.

Nick

JustGreg

#86 Post by JustGreg »

I got around to freeing up a partition for testing. I did a frugal install and it work the first time. Upon shut down, I was given the option to save to a partition and did. Upon reboot, everything work well. Thanks for eliminating the is bug.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

kirk

#87 Post by kirk »

If you're testing Dingo on a laptop, please go here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 094#170094

and try out a battery monitor tray app I found.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#88 Post by Béèm »

Edited: reply on battery monitor posted in:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 135#170135
Last edited by Béèm on Mon 28 Jan 2008, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rerwin

"Troublesome Toshibas" hang up xwin

#89 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
When Puppy boots the first time (without a pup_save file or partition), the problematic laptops still hang. The workaround was implemented in xorgwizard; but xwin executes xorgwizard only after trying a "Xvesa -listmodes" command, which hangs for those laptops.

Ideally, the PC-specific logic common to xwin and xorgwizard would be moved to a separate, common script to eliminate duplication of code. Pragmatically, though, a message could be displayed before the hang, advising how to recover. I have created an expedient solution.

After line 60 of /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin, the following statement could be inserted and would show only when xwin hangs; if there is no hang, the xorg dialog appears quickly.

Code: Select all

echo -e 'If initialization freezes here, press ctrl-c and type "xorgwizard",\nselect "Xorg", choose monitor type, choose video mode, and then at the prompt\ntype "xwin" to start X.'   #rerwin
This should help users find the workaround, if they need it. Thanks for considering this.
Richard

John Doe

#90 Post by John Doe »

John Doe wrote:I think everyone misunderstood Sage.
or maybe i did as i ran into something like this on my neighbor's new vista laptop.

it's a sony viao vgn-fe865e

booted dingo alpha5 with 'pfix=ram' (twice) and it didn't unmount the optic drive either time

optic drive is a 'Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17'

pakt

#91 Post by pakt »

John Doe wrote:booted dingo alpha5 with 'pfix=ram' (twice) and it didn't unmount the optic drive either time
I've also run into this problem on my Acer laptop while running Dingo alpha5 in RAM from CD.

I tried using Pmount to first mount (succeded) then unmount the CD to eject the disc, but I just got 'Failure! ... '

Trying umount /mnt/sr0 in a terminal resulted in 'Device or resource busy'
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: "Troublesome Toshibas" hang up xwin

#92 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Barry,
When Puppy boots the first time (without a pup_save file or partition), the problematic laptops still hang. The workaround was implemented in xorgwizard; but xwin executes xorgwizard only after trying a "Xvesa -listmodes" command, which hangs for those laptops.

Ideally, the PC-specific logic common to xwin and xorgwizard would be moved to a separate, common script to eliminate duplication of code. Pragmatically, though, a message could be displayed before the hang, advising how to recover. I have created an expedient solution.

After line 60 of /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin, the following statement could be inserted and would show only when xwin hangs; if there is no hang, the xorg dialog appears quickly.

Code: Select all

echo -e 'If initialization freezes here, press ctrl-c and type "xorgwizard",\nselect "Xorg", choose monitor type, choose video mode, and then at the prompt\ntype "xwin" to start X.'   #rerwin
This should help users find the workaround, if they need it. Thanks for considering this.
Richard
Ok I've put that in. Yes, the duplicate code needs to be extracted to a common file.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

geneven

Cd-ejector

#93 Post by geneven »

"I almost started a poll to ask who has or doesn't have one of those bent paper clips next to them. "

It turns out that thin plastic straws are the perfect size to use for this. I always have a few straws lying in front of my keyboard, just in case.

Sage

#94 Post by Sage »

Buy a European ie German drive and they provide a proper little metal prodder!

kirk

#95 Post by kirk »

oops