wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puppyluvr

the dino lives

#61 Post by puppyluvr »

hey tom... :D
First off...WOW..The dino wobbles....a little...now the bad news..too old a motherboard...
bios doesnt include an option for adjusting memory allocation :( ..at 32mb it stutters rather than wobbles!!lol :D) that`s OK cause i never intended to run wNOP on this machine (except for testing purposes) as the puppy i`ve built on it is just too sweet!!! ( i call it buddapup...lhp215b4+enlightenment+opera+ + +)
Also i intend to upgrade soon... then me and wNOP will get to know each other :D

As for the laptop..to answer your question, it was a full install that had never been shut down...(since earlier shutdowns resulted in a crash and my wife needs to use her comp daily)..i reinstalled after the first crash and left it running...
soooo... as in my earlier post, i c/a/bkspce`d out of x, "reboot" , never got past prompt,booted to xvesa, desktop ..changes intact, install worked and pups ect are saved...cannot get back into xorg.. :cry:
i`m thinking it`s involving the intel driver..after about 1 or 2 tries w/xorgwizard it stops auto-detecting the card. :evil:

"If i have to get her another laptop", this is what she wants to run!!!
:D Great Puppy :D

:wink: "all we are is dust in the wind ,dude* Bill S. Preston

teajay

#62 Post by teajay »

I have a Dell 9300 with an nVidia 6800 256mb graphics card and it works well on it. The corruption on some text and present during special effects in the previous release is no longer present so it looks a lot better too. :D

tombh

#63 Post by tombh »

@puppyluvr: I tell you what then, I'll take another look at my friend's laptop (he lives here so it won't be a problem) and try and fix that --probably by using the proprietary intel driver-- and let you know how it goes...

@teajay: :D

"As you can see, Genghis greatly enjoys Twinkies because of the excellent sugar rush." Ted Theodor Logan

paulh177

#64 Post by paulh177 »

i just want to say, I just downloaded and burned this and rebooted my acer 5612 laptop with it ... it's so much fun.

I have no idea why it's doing some of the things that it's doing, but it looks great. It's smooth and crisp and quick too.

when puppy can look as good as this it is an inducement for those who might otherwise use an 'buntu.

well done. I'm in brizzle tomorrow so i'll send you some positive vibes while i'm in town.

tombh

#65 Post by tombh »

I have compiled a patched MPlayer for all those running Compiz-Fusion on Puppy 3.01, see thread here. It enables hardware accelerated video to be rendered by CF -- considerably reducing CPU load compared to GXine using the xshm driver. I have found it to be far more stable than GXine, especially with full screen.

@paulh177: Cool :) Thanks. I'll watch out for those good vibrations ;)

shr1k

#66 Post by shr1k »

Mplayer works good for me. Thanks :D
I got the spell check working in Opera here are the links
Aspell
http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/147.52 ... 3.0.0.html
english dictionary
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/lib ... nglish.pup
from here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7968
I also used the goffice sfs and got that up and working
(abiword and gnumeric)
http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/
instructions for sfs files
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215sfsExpansionPacks
I hope all the links save someone some time :D

prehistoric

time saver

#67 Post by prehistoric »

@sh1rk,

Thanks! You've saved me time already. I got the spell checking working, but missed the preconfigured sfs for goffice.

prehistoric

p.s. Tombh, have you considered adding the Matrox proprietary drivers? While I don't expect a G200 to meet demands for 3D, the G450 has the performance for Quake III, (so I am told, not a gamer). Not sure of specific features, but would put it well ahead of the Geforce 2 in general terms. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo ... php?id=143

Added: Here's a thread on LinuxQuestions.org about problems and results. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... or-390885/

The tantalizing part is this quote from a guy running dual head:
...i now have an average of 395 frames per sec for glx gears which is a big improvement...

puppyluvr

Update

#68 Post by puppyluvr »

:D hey :D
as a test i cleared a partition on the dino and installed wNOP...fuill hd install...shut her down ...and it reboots.. perfectly :D..so i know my iso is good....hmmm.....

:wink: "it`s better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, then to open one`s mouth and remove all doubt".....

tombh

#69 Post by tombh »

@prehistoric: I might consider compiling the matrox driver separately, but i wouldn't want to include it in wNOP if it can't run Compiz-Fusion. Is see noone has compiled it for Puppy yet, but any card that can do 395 FPS sounds alright!

@puppyluvr:Mmm yes that defintaely means the ISO is good. I had a little look into compiling the latest intel driver and am still trying to figure out what the minimum amount of updating to wNOP I would need to do allow that driver to work. Maybe I would need to update a lot, in which it might just be best to update all the graphical parts of wNOP and release it in the next version. But I reckon this would be the best thing to try in your case, that is, updating the intel driver.

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible." -- Doug Larson

puppyluvr

Well....

#70 Post by puppyluvr »

Hey Tom :D

Well, I tested wNOP on different laptop.. P4..1.8 ghz..768 mb..ati radeon.
cd boots sweet and fast...Very impressive...full install on 5g ext2 partition.
reboots great!. Very fast..Made some changes.(theme ect)..reboot..no problem..used it for a while to show off to friends..several reboots..great
Saw your mplayer pup..Cool..D/L..and install..reboot.. :evil: No xorg again...Same as other one..try xorgwizard..no auto detection..same thing.different card ...tried xvesa..booted for like 3 sec and cold killed the comp...dead...reboot ..still no xorg...scared to try xvesa!!
Will update and get a dump..
I feel like an albatros...

puppyluvr

#71 Post by puppyluvr »

:D hey!!
Well, tried to reboot several times with same results, ..
xorg cant "see" the card .
until i installed something it worked fine...saw the ati card fine...
got brave and tried xvesa again..3 sec and..boom prompt..now i cant get in at all...
i dont think its me..(although i`m willing to accept the possibility :lol:)..my buddapup runs ,saves, and reboots fine on this machine..same install method for both..
anyhow, heres the dump from the "moment of impact"..
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

tombh

#72 Post by tombh »

Okay there was one interesting clue in that last dump,
"Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock"
because this most often happens when the computer isn't shutdown properly, for example sudden battery failure, powercut, forced poweroff etc. This file must be deleted,

Code: Select all

rm /tmp/.X0-lock
Also, another thing is that when you have these X failures you shouldn't need to run xorgwizard again, once setup it will always be setup. Do you try,

xwin
first?

However, in this case you may need to rerun xorgwizard just to make the switch back to Xorg rather than xvesa and rebuild your xorg.conf file. Don't worry that it doesn't autodetect your card, once it's finished, just type xwin and it should be alright. Fingers crossed.

My impression is that although these 2 problems on your separate computers 'seem' different they are probably caused by different things. The fact that you were able to reboot so many times is positive and I still think that the other one will be fixed by installing the latest intel driver (which I will get round to compiling at some point).

shr1k

#73 Post by shr1k »

Has any one had any luck getting Blender 2.45 to run on wNOP? I used .pup from this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 00&t=15602
It will run but the display is screwy. I use Blender alot, this is one program that I cant get to work right with wNOP.( I have been having to much fun watching my windows bop around and burn up to
try and install many other programs :roll: ) BTW I have Intel graphics.

UncleBaldie

#74 Post by UncleBaldie »

Wow!
Just d/l and running wNOP v0.2 from CD, runs like a dream on my Tosh Satellite U200-115 laptop.
No problems so far.
It's great to see CF running on Puppy. My happiness is now complete!! How much better can Puppy get ?

Thanks, TombH.......

smooth

#75 Post by smooth »

Great puplet and compiz-fusion works fine (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT). But I had installed it twice (frugal) and the second panel lost all its shortcuts setup , it changed the menu icon to the xfce icon and couldn't keep my second language (greek). Has anyone stepped on the same problem?

tombh

#76 Post by tombh »

@shr1k: I know that CF has a few issues with certain forms of graphical output, it's one of the reasons for the patched MPlayer -- something to do with redirected windows, don't understand it completely. Someone seemed to have succes with CCSM->General->Unredirect Fullscreen Windows. I think it is an issue with Xorg and that there are plans to improve its compositing abilities. So until then the best thing may be to turn off CF. I haven't integrated a proper way of doing this yet, but try:

killall compiz
xfwm4
@smooth: Maybe the NOP thread will be of more use here. But what happens if you restart the XFCE panel like this:

killall xfce4-panel
xfce4-panel
If that doesn't help then maybe replacing the files in /root/.config/xfce4/panel/ with the originals will fix it. You can get the originals from a live pfix=ram boot.

I've never changed the language in Puppy so I don't really have any advice there. How did you do it?

prit1

#77 Post by prit1 »

Tom,

Firstly thanks a lot and great job on running Compiz on Puppy. I love puppy linux and with Compiz fusion, its amazing.

I initially tried the wNOP and that didnt work. Later after receiving your reply, I downloaded the wNOP v0.2 and this worked on my laptop.

I took the cd to work today and booted off the cd and started showing off and my colleages are extremely impressed. The ones who were shy towards linux are asking me for copies of wNOP v0.2.

Great job!!

Couple of things I noticed though:

1 - I tried running mainframe emulation through my companies citrix server. I had to download the citrix linux client and everything worked well. But when I tried rotating the cube, I would get an error (Client Error=>The X Request 12.9 caused error: "2 :BadValue".) and the mainframe emulator would close.

2 - I downloaded Abiword and Gnumeric using package manager. When I run these after downloading, it says shows a library error (error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0) and do not open.

I dont know if this is because I did not restart xserver after the downloads.

Thanks!
Prit
Last edited by prit1 on Wed 06 Feb 2008, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

earlytv

Running Wnop on a breadboard INTEL D845GVSH

#78 Post by earlytv »

Intel keeps saying this MB doesnt exist? Yet D845GVSH comes up in BIOS, its on the MB and wNOP tells me thats what it is. Same micro as the INTEL CLASSMATE, the SHELTON, 845 graphics, and ICH4 I/O?
I must have a dark cloud over me because all this stuff happens.
To get wNOP running had to go manual because auto just left a black screen with a small X curser that moved around? Auto said INTEL 845 but? Manual I picked INTEL and it came up right away?????? When I sign out and puppy goes to SAVE SESSION SCREEN the screen changes, my monitor says out of range??????
It works super otherwise thanks to those who made wNOP.
If anyone has data or drivers for this MB please send me a EMAIL or a PM. Intel keeps saying "D845GVSR" which has some of the same stuff but is a way bigger MB and that D845GVSH doesnt exist????
Last edited by earlytv on Sun 16 Mar 2008, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from GM, a Etech on engine electronics
Like to play with older computers and TVs

DENNIS

noprob

wobbly NOP

#79 Post by noprob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

here is a youtube video that I just found concerning Compiz Fusion.

There seem to be many "plugins" to allow many different effects for our viewing pleasure other then just the wobbly effect.

and a torrent posted@the new linux tracker site

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 5876276329
Last edited by noprob on Thu 07 Feb 2008, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

prit1

#80 Post by prit1 »

Many of the plugins shown in the youtube video are already enabled in wNOP v0.2. I did not enable any plugins on my laptop and most of the plugins work already. :)