pcPuppyOS RC2 Posted 22 Jan 08

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
friedsonjm

pcPuppyOS RC2 Posted 22 Jan 08

#1 Post by friedsonjm »

RC2 posted 22 Jan 08; Upgraded WINE, upgraded JAVA, SAMBA fixed for printer sharing.
jf
http://www.pcpuppyos.com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Good luck to you and Jeremy (Pizzasgood) with this and the new web site.

A business orientated Puppy is very useful and welcome. Hopefully you will be able to retain a modular approach and a Puppy compatible core for the forseable future.

You seem to to be developing a core of happy users :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

friedsonjm

#3 Post by friedsonjm »

Lobster wrote:Good luck to you and Jeremy (Pizzasgood) with this and the new web site.

A business orientated Puppy is very useful and welcome. Hopefully you will be able to retain a modular approach and a Puppy compatible core for the forseable future.

You seem to to be developing a core of happy users :)
Thanks, Lobster! With this release, I think the system is pretty stable; I hope we will get a lot of downloads and feedback on RC2.
jf

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

Hi guys,

I d/l and run your new version..posting from it now.

Looks good..thanks.

I may go with this pcPuppyOS for the local historical society as some things are automated for noobs. Wine and OO are what they will need.

Not much to say yet as it's my first run but first impressions are good.

xorg failed on my newer lappy with ATI Radeon Mobility X1600....but as I said this is a first test run and I'll dig in more later and let you know.

Thanks,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

friedsonjm

#5 Post by friedsonjm »

e are having a problem with Xorg and ATI cards. Fix is:

If in Xvesa already, first, us Setup-Xorg Video Wizard-Edit Xorg.conf
Look for Section 'Device' as shown below. Where the dri ver is listed as
Driver "vga" #card0driver
change to
Driver "ati" #card0driver
as shown below.

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "KGAUniversal" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "Radeon Mobility M6 LY"
BusID "PCI:0:20:0"
EndSection

then, go to /usr/X11R7/bin/. Delete X. Right-click Xorg and choose "link". Link it to X. Use relative when it asks.

Or, from the command line:
rm /usr/X11R7/bin/X
ln -s /usr/X11R7/bin/Xorg /usr/X11R7/X

and restart X.

Have not figured out yet what causes this on a hard drive install, but at least we know how to correct it!

jf

NathanO

#6 Post by NathanO »

Decided to wait for this update to see what is happening with my HP Pavilion zv6000.

Downloaded RC2, tested on my tower,works good, just like pre Jan 15 did.

Moved CD to laptop. Did a cold boot. Went to xorg. Looked at xorg.cong like you said in other thread.

The Device section shows:

Identifier "Card0"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BordName "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"

Screen section shows:

Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280 x 800"

Monitor sections shows:

#DisplaySize 330 210 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "AUO"
ModelName "1974"
HorzSync 30-48
VertRefresh 56-60
#UseModes "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes

The screen still does not work correct.

Put pre Jan 15 version in laptop. Did a cold boot.

All sections were the same. Screen worked correct.

Tried internet connection on pre Jan 15 version. Got on the Internet after one 'Auto DHCP'.

Cold booted to RC2 version. Went to xversa. Took 2 'Auto DHCP' tries to get on the internet.

xversa does not have the proper aspect ratio for the screen.

Tried the changes friedsomjm showed above, did not work. Tried both GUI and command prompt ways of dong the 'link'.

This is all from a 'Live CD', no save to SaveFile or Install of any type.

What can I do to help you trouble shoot this as I see Caneri had a similar problem with the ATI Radeon Mobility X1600.

Caneri

#7 Post by Caneri »

Thanks,

tombh has had some success with ATI in wNOP...according to Thomas the 5th generation ATI cards are problematic..but as it's such a short test of pcPuppuyOS run I can't be more specific yet.

Myself I had to use the full ATI package from ATI to wobble.

Yes I'll plug in those edits next test run..thanks.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

The problem friedsonjm is referring to is that on his system, Xorg detects his card correctly when running from LiveCD, but not when running from the harddrive (it sets the driver as 'vga' rather than 'ati'). The only remotely useful thing I've been able to glean about it is that if he uses the Xorg -configure command, it lists the available modules in a different order.

I haven't had any issues with this at all on both my laptop and my desktop, both of which use ATI cards (in fact, the card in my lappy is very similar to his).

So I don't know what the deal with that is.

This is different from what NathanO is experiencing. Aparently I messed something up, but I have no idea what. So lets investigate. I'll need the /var/log/Xorg.0.log files from the old iso after a successful boot, and from the new one after an unsuccessful attempt (mount a drive and copy it over, then reboot with the new iso to post it).

Since those are probably going to be pretty long (the successful one will be anyways), you might want to post them as attachments.

Another thing that might help is if you attach both /etc/X11/xorg.conf files, unless they're identical.

The /var/log/messages files wouldn't hurt either, but probably won't help much.

You could put all that in a tarball to avoid posting six attachments. Just make sure I can tell which ones are which (simple method is put them in separate directories in the tarball, that way you don't have to fiddle with renaming them all).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

NathanO

#9 Post by NathanO »

I have attached a tar with two folders (there is a duplicate of one, I do not know why).

Both were from cold boots. The RC2 was with a try at xorg, then going to xversa to get the files on to the pen drive.
Attachments
NathanO.tar.gz
For some reason one folder is in here twice.
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

Caneri

#10 Post by Caneri »

ok,

This is from a live cd boot with no pup_save with puppy pfix=nosplash,ram.

I had to go to xvesa...xorg is no go for me.

Usb install is a no go yet...the screen just blanks and I wait for a long time then a three finger reboot...dunno..more tries coming..I forgot the log...next post

Eric
Attachments
caneri.xorg.pcppup.tar.gz
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#11 Post by Caneri »

oops..sorry 'bout that.

var/log this time. This is as much as I can get so far.

EDIT: I also had probs with wNOP v2 on this lappy with the X1600 if that is anything you can use.

Eric
Attachments
varlog.tar.gz
(764 Bytes) Downloaded 392 times
Chinese Proverb[/color]

NathanO

#12 Post by NathanO »

Pizzasgood,

Would it help if Caneri and I got on line with you in one of the two Puppy chat rooms to do some troubleshooting? Since I have two computers I could be on line with the tower while we tried different things on the laptop.

I will be here until about midnight SA, TX time, be here Wed thru about 4 PM then back in the evening. Fri, Sat, Sun I have a model train show I am working with our Large Scale Club, but would be here once more early nest week.

Caneri

#13 Post by Caneri »

ok..ran a test on an ATI All-in Wonder 9800 Pro...with Asus A8V Deluxe mobo..1gb ram etc.

xorg crashes then I did a three finger reboot...and the xorgwizard completes...hmmm

A problem is this machine is totally offline never to touch the internet..and in another room...so sneaker net will be used to get a xorg.conf.

I have to wait as the room is in use..but I'll get a tar soon...

EDIT: I'm trying to get xorg.conf out of this Asus...I hope they don't boot me out for interrupting their room activities..lol..brb

Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Wed 23 Jan 2008, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Leachim

#14 Post by Leachim »

Maybe the reason for strange behaviour lies in xorg --configure. This command likes to crash and it might depend on the order of modules in the file system whether the needed module is checked or not. (It will not be checked if a module checked earlier has caused a crash.)

But even more strange: a module might cause a crash in xorg --configure but work nonetheless! That's the reason I wrote a new Xwizard (see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 45&t=23468) that does not call xorg for checking.

Caneri

#15 Post by Caneri »

Well it may not make any sense but I had no joy in xorgwizard on the 9800 Pro and had to go to xvesa....but still got a file for you to look at...xorg.conf.

Now if I knew what I was doing it might help...sheesh.

I'm banished from the other room now..lol

Eric
Attachments
9800ati.tar.gz
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Chinese Proverb[/color]

happyhippo

#16 Post by happyhippo »

wel tried this pup on two systems

1 compaq evo P4 with a iiyama 19 inch TFT boots up nice en works fine
onboard sound works, lan works.
2 compaq despro ens P3 with samsung 151 tft, 15 inch this one what i did not expected faild.
first at boot it tells me somthing about to much lines and i have to choose from a list
80 x 25 etc.
i choose one, a fragment the cdplayer and hard disk work (have a swap space on it) and than nothing no activity .

maybe good t know that other puppys like lighthouse did work on the P3

friedsonjm

#17 Post by friedsonjm »

happyhippo wrote:wel tried this pup on two systems

1 compaq evo P4 with a iiyama 19 inch TFT boots up nice en works fine
onboard sound works, lan works.
2 compaq despro ens P3 with samsung 151 tft, 15 inch this one what i did not expected faild.
first at boot it tells me somthing about to much lines and i have to choose from a list
80 x 25 etc.
i choose one, a fragment the cdplayer and hard disk work (have a swap space on it) and than nothing no activity .

maybe good t know that other puppys like lighthouse did work on the P3
What frame buffer setting did you choose?
jf

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm not quite following you happyhippo. If you could try it again and write down the error message that would help a bunch.

@Canari: for the USB install, check the syslinux.cfg file on the usb drive. Make sure it has one of the following two combinations:

Code: Select all

vga=785

Code: Select all

vga=normal pfix=nosplash
The latter is better for debugging because it disables the bootsplash and enables the text without running a framebuffer. Using vga=normal without disabling the splash can cause issues (not sure if I can detect that during the boot, will have to give it a try).

@both Canari and NathanO:
Looking at the files you guys submitted. For Canari's first machine and NathanO's laptop, there is an extra line of uncommented babble at the ends of your xorg.conf files. Try editing it with mp to remove that, then run startx to try starting Xwindows.

I think I know what might be causing this. I implemented a fix that Barry mentioned on the blog, but I think it's messing up and breaking the identifier comment in half so that part isn't commented. It looks like certain strings are breaking it. The hardware probing and string manipulation Barry's doing there both exceed what I can follow, so I think I'll just put the original versions back.

@Canari: For your 9800, it doesn't have the above bug and as far as I can tell your xorg.conf is correct. Without the Xorg.0.log file for it I can't find the part that's crashing.

@Leachim: Nice. It doesn't mess up as badly as the original xorgwizard when it hits my dual monitor setup (the original puts two screens in the server section, but only configures one). I'll have to look into it harder later, see if it works on my laptop and if the configuration file I just generated on my desktop actually works (doing important stuff ATM, can't restart X to test that).

Personally though, I like getting to go through the menu to pick my resolution. But I know it bugs many people to make any choices during boot, even a one-time-only choice.

I don't particularly like chat. It doesn't mesh well with my mind and I find it very hard to communicate with it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

Something completely separate from the ongoing conversation: Somebody reminded me today that I forgot to replace a missing package that wasn't in the repo but should have been. This only affects pppoe. I recommended that he try the version for Puppy 4.xx, here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... tched1.pet
If it works I'll use that one. Otherwise I'll try using the pkgs_db package to pull the files I need from the standard ISO.

NathanO

#20 Post by NathanO »

Pizzasgood,

Getting rid of the line at the end did the trick for the laptop.

One item I did not see anywhere, as an OPTION I would like to have a 'Battery Monitor' for the laptop. Something simple that could be customized for when it goes from Green to Yellow to Red. Lets say go from Green to Yellow at 15%, Yellow to Red at 5%.

Nathan