Pmetatagger-2.1 - a gtkdialog audio meta tagger

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

#41 Post by plinej »

Alright, I've got the code into pmetatagger to support jpg/jpeg files if jhead is in your $PATH. Do you want it there just so you can view the Exif data? The only thing you can really edit is the Exif Date/Time right? I'll also add the ability to use the Exif data on another jpeg file on your file. I could also add checkboxes to strip Comments field, Exif section, IPTC section, & non-image sections. Since I really wouldn't use pmetatagger for this function, is there anything I'm missing?

disciple

#42 Post by disciple »

It can also edit JPEG (not exif) comments.
Sorry - I didn't look at it carefully. When I was looking at it I was basically just interested in the JPEG thumbnails, then I had this bright idea the other day, wrongly assuming that if it could replace exif thumbnails it must be able to replace other exif information...

plinej

#43 Post by plinej »

No problem at all. I'll try to get a new version up sometime tonight.

plinej

#44 Post by plinej »

Alright, I've got it all the code in there except for the thumbnail stuff. I created 3 tabs worth of display output of jhead, the first 2 are unchangeable display only. The third tab has the ability to add/edit the exif Date/Time & Comments. It also has the option to select another jpeg and use that jpeg's exif data to tag your selected jpeg. There are also 4 checkboxes to strip unwanted data (comments, exif, IPTC, & non-image).

I see jhead has the ability to remove thumbnails, save thumbnails, and replace thumbnails. Where do I find a jpeg file that already has a builtin thumbnail so I can experiment with the commands to add them to the gui? If you have one, could you post it in this thread so I can download it?

disciple

#45 Post by disciple »

OK, I'll upload one in a second. Here's what I was already posting:

Great :)
For a while there I thought I'd found another bug. When I chose a directory it would do what I was complaining about before when choosing a file - just say all processes are complete straight away. But it's working now, even though I didn't do anything...

I've got a couple of suggestions that are somewhat more useful:
- allow typing the folder or file path in the gui, instead of using the browse button.
- allow it to take a relative path from the command line.

BTW does the command for opening all files of a given type from the console actually work for you? Because it just brings up the standard gui for me...

disciple

#46 Post by disciple »

My brother just sold it for a dollar (with two chairs). Nice bargain for someone...
Attachments
test.jpg
(45.09 KiB) Downloaded 823 times

disciple

#47 Post by disciple »

If anyone's interested I just posted exifcom in the jhead thread, which can edit the exif UserComment if it already exists. I don't have any photos with that field though, and the length of the field apparently varies between different manufacturers as well.

Hmmm. exiftags shows a lot more information than jhead. Are you dealing with jhead information the same way as information from the other taggers (searching for fields in the output)? Because it would be much easier with read-only information like that just to show the whole output...
You are right, at the moment these jpeg tools don't fit that well with pmetatagger:)

disciple

#48 Post by disciple »

I'm just compiling exiv2 - it has exif write support as a library, although I'm unsure about it's binary.

I have what appears to be another bug. Using id3lib, if I open an mp3 with pmetatagger, it just shows empty tags, even though there are tags and they show up in xmms. If I put in tags, pmetatagger writes them ok (I see the new tags in xmms, and any that I didn't fill in are now missing). Does pmetatagger read mp3 tags correctly at the moment for you?

---EDIT---
BTW m4a works fine, so I only have a problem with id3lib

disciple

#49 Post by disciple »

I had a make error compiling exiv2, so I tried a slackware package, which works, although I can't quite figure out how to use it. I think it can add a new exif usercomment, but I'm not certain. I think that's really the only part of the exif tag we should be changing anyway :) Changing anything else would essentially have to be for deceitful purposes...

plinej

#50 Post by plinej »

I'll look into the bugs you're posting.

I already fixed the relative path issue while I was working on putting in jhead support.

I will change it to allow typing in the directory/file selector.

The command file for opening all of a specified file type does work for me. It will open the gui with the first file found of that type and when you click ok/next the next file of that type will load into the gui.

The mp3 tagging issue you mentioned, I can't really say for sure since it seems to work okay for me. What was used as the tagger for the original files?

plinej

#51 Post by plinej »

Okay, 1.3 is up. If jhead is installed in your $PATH you can use pmetatagger for viewing/editing their tags with jhead.

I changed the gui a bit from what I previously mentioned. The jhead gui will have 2 tabs. The first is just a listing of jhead's output, the second is the editable portion.

disciple

#52 Post by disciple »

what was used as the tagger for the original files?
It says iTunes

disciple

#53 Post by disciple »

Ah - files made by EAC with LAME it does read them... but it overwrites the tags in the itunes files, so it's obviously using the same sort of fields or something...

disciple

#54 Post by disciple »

The other feature it needs is a "skip file" button, so instead of clicking next you can move on to the next file without writing the tag.
----------
Yes, the command to open all the files in the directory does seem to be working now - I don't know why it wasn't before.
Is it only reading id3v2 tags with id3lib? I think that could be causing my other problem. I think the files that it doesn't read might only have v1 tags.

I also have what appears to be another bug :(
Tagging multiple mp3s it will copy the information from the previous file even if you tell it not to. This is very bad. It works as expected for m4a.

BTW, have you used easytag? It has a file selection gui on the left hand side and the tagging gui on the right hand side, with buttons beside each field to apply that field to all the selected files in the folder. It is very efficient. One day I have the time (not likely any time soon) I might sit down and see if I can produce a gui like that with gtkdialog. I think it would be possible.

plinej

#55 Post by plinej »

itunes uses a different tagging system than id3v1 or id3v2. I'm not sure if AtomicParsley works on mp3s like it does with m4a. Their website doesn't mention mp3 support.

I'm pretty sure for mp3 pmetatagger will see if there's a version 1 tag and if not it will default to version 2. I'll have to look over my code again though.

Adding a skip button is a good idea and I'll work on that next.

I'll also look at the tagging multiple mp3s bug you mention.

I've never used easytag but I might take a look at it soon.

plinej

#56 Post by plinej »

I found and fixed the multiple tagging of files bug (besides m4a type). I'll get a new 1.4 version up soon. Now when you select mp3-v2 and your mp3 currently has v1 tags than the v1 tag will be displayed and used to create your v2 tag. I'll work on the skip button and then upload 1.4.

plinej

#57 Post by plinej »

1.4 is now posted

Okay, skip button has been added to the gui. All of the bugs mentioned should be fixed.

disciple

#58 Post by disciple »

1.4 is great! Thanks.
Just FYI, as well as iTunes tags not being read, it is thrown by some characters that do appear to be valid in an id3 tag - e.g. anything after a : in a particular field disappears.

plinej

#59 Post by plinej »

Yeah, I've thought about that since right now it's using `cut -f 2 -d ':'` to get the field info. I'll probably look into it again soon. Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear though, the itunes tags not being read are on mp3's right? The itunes tags should be read on m4a's as long as you have AtomicParsley installed.

disciple

#60 Post by disciple »

Yes, mp3s