Boot Puppy on the Asus eeepc

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
dvw86

Boot Puppy on the Asus eeepc

#1 Post by dvw86 »

First of all I have to say that I love using Puppy on the eeepc. For those of you that may want to install Puppy on the internal drive and keep the default Linux OS here is how I did it. The boot loader Grub is already installed and used to boot the eeepc. All you have to do is edit the boot menu.lst file and copy the needed files to the hard drive. In this example I installed both Dingo alfa 4 and Puppy 214R.

Use an external CD drive or USB pen drive and boot up Puppy on the eeepc. I made the directories /mnt/hdc1/boot/dingo and /mnt/hdc1/boot/puppy. Copy the needed Puppy files from CD or USB drive to the internal drive "hdc1". They should be:

/mnt/hdc1/boot/dingo/initrd.gz
/mnt/hdc1/boot/dingo/vmlinuz
/mnt/hdc1/boot/puppy/initrd.gz
/mnt/hdc1/boot/puppy/vmlinuz
/mnt/hdc1/boot/pup_214R.sfs
/mnt/hdc1/boot/pup_394.sfs

This will just about fill up the hdc1 drive. Next edit the /mnt/hdc1/boot/grub/menu.lst file as follows.

Code: Select all

#
# Configured by Xandros Configuration system.
#
#hiddenmenu - changed by dvw86 so I can choose what to boot.
# default boot entry - Changed by dvw86
default=3 

# Boot automatically after 1 second. - Changed by dvw86
timeout=5

# Fallback to Configure.
fallback=2

title Normal Boot
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=785 irqpoll i8042.noloop=1 root=/dev/sda1
	initrd /boot/initramfs-eeepc.img

title Perform Disk Scan
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=785 irqpoll i8042.noloop=1 root=/dev/sda1 XANDROSSCAN=y

title Restore Factory Settings
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=normal nosplash=y irqpoll i8042.noloop=1 root=/dev/sda1 XANDROSRESTORE=y

title Puppy Linux 214R
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/puppy/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=16384
	initrd /boot/puppy/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux Dingo
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/dingo/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=16384
	initrd /boot/dingo/initrd.gz	
You should now be able to save the file and reboot into Puppy from the internal drive. On shutdown you will be asked to save the pup_save file. This can be saved to hdc2, the internal SD card reader, or a USB drive. There is currently an issue with saving to external USB drive or the SD card reader in Dingo Alfa, but I'm sure Barry will fix that soon. You can also copy any extra .sfs files to the same location as your pup_save.sfs file.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

title Puppy Linux Dingo
root (0x80,0)
kernel /boot/dingo/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=16384
initrd /boot/dingo/initrd.gz
You don't need 'root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=16384' -- the kernel in Dingo will just ignore the root=/dev/ram0, and as Dingo does not use a ramdisk at bootup, the size spec is not required.

Regarding SD card support, alpha4 does have that, but not at bootup.
That is, after booting, Pmount should show any SD card. It works on my laptop, which has a Texas Instruments interface chip.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

gary101

#3 Post by gary101 »

Hi Barry

Interesting that you have got SD card supported under alpha 4!

Is it possible to provide some sort of fix for those of us who still like the 2.6.18.1 kernel?

I know a lot of people would be interested. Even if you could point me in the right direction I don't mind doing any compiling etc.

All the best

Gary

LS650

#4 Post by LS650 »

Great post... I'm supposed to receive an eee 2G next week, and I will probably want to run Puppy on it...

MyPup

#5 Post by MyPup »

Well I finally got it on the ssd in hdc1 as per your exact instructions. Thanks also i notice that when i try to shut down it doesn't turn completely off i have to depress the shut down button as the left indicator light is still on. Is anyone else having this problem. I'm still trying to figure out the web cam and its not that big of a deal just would like to know if others have gotten theres to work. I really thought that since it was on the ssd now that it would boot faster than it did off my five year old sd card which I am sure is no speed demon. Would this be because its loading it totally into ram? as I thought that a sd or cf card moved to the ide setup installation in the universal setup did this as well? I have a better class 6 sdhc card that I could use but would like to know what would be best.