Dingo 4 alpha3 Bugs/probs

Please post any bugs you have found
capoverde

#101 Post by capoverde »

Wonderful, Rox won't have that problem in Puppy any more. Thanks for putting my two cents to good work!

(As for NetSurf's speed, it is actually normal on stored HTML pages; I must have hit a heavy-load moment on the remote server in my first test).

capoverde

#102 Post by capoverde »

Just downloaded & mastered Dingo Alpha4 SeaMonkey.

This time mhwaveedit hung on the very first attempt to load an mp3 file (Xine played it perfectly a moment before), with high CPU load; the window could be closed with the "kill" command from the window bar menu, but the load on the CPU wouldn't drop.

After rebooting, mhwaveedit decoded and played an OGG Vorbis file perfectly, but hung again on an mp3.

If it were a problem with the Lame decoder, Xine should also suffer from it, so it's probably a bug in mhwaveedit -- a pity, it's a nice and fast program.

Also, the bell offered by the GTK Xset can't be heard though the audio works OK -- it's the first time I try it and actually don't need it, but was just curious.

Dougal

#103 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote:
Replace -march with -mcpu to make the binary optimized for the cpu yet usable on i386.
Ha! I always wondered about this -- I was afraid compiling for 686 would make it use MMX/SSD and thus be incompatible with AMD processors...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

raffy

cant shutdown

#104 Post by raffy »

Barry, I've tested the shutting down of alpha4 twice on the eee, always failing - no poweroff or reboot working.

Now, with the Jan 5 version, it can't find pup_394.sfs, either in the SD card or in partition 2 of the internal drive. I will test again using USB keydrive.

Note that eee's internal storage is seen in Puppy 2.13 as /dev/hdc and the SD card as /dev/sda.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

capoverde

#105 Post by capoverde »

Alpha4 has no firewall problem anymore -- for me at least.

Also tested it on an old K6-II 400Mhz -- as Kirk says, better stuff can be easily found in the trash nowadays, but it gives an idea of how well Puppy does on old hardware -- running fine in general; boot time is impressively short even here.
Of course mhwaveedit has the usual problem opening mp3s; surfing with GTKMoz (wrongly referred to as NetSurf in my former posts, sorry) is surprisingly smooth and fast -- seemed even better than with Alpha3 on the Celeron 2800: obviously there were server problems at the test time.

Seems a really very performing Puppy.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#106 Post by BarryK »

There is a later version of mhwaveedit, I'll upgrade for alpha5.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: cant shutdown

#107 Post by Flash »

raffy wrote:Barry, I've tested the shutting down of alpha4 twice on the eee, always failing - no poweroff or reboot working.

Now, with the Jan 5 version...
Will someone please post a link to the Jan 5 version? I haven't seen it and I'm getting confused. I don't know which thread to post my bugs to. :?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#108 Post by BarryK »

Well, the 'jan 5' version has some unfornate new bugs, that I have now fixed. So wait for alpha5 that I'll announce on the blog soon.

In the blog comments I usually post a link to a forum thread for further discussion.

capoverde

#109 Post by capoverde »

This is a very marginal issue, and was present in previous Puppies too, but can become annoying:

if for some reason the mouse isn't working, in some instances it's not easy to select menu items from the keyboard (TAB, arrows, space and Enter) since the active item is not always clearly highlighted.

E.g., try changing the screen resolution this way in Dingo's XVesa wizard window: the chosen value can be clearly seen, as a dot appears in the corresponding button, but then neither the <CHANGE> nor the <OK> button get highlighted or focused to show which is the active one, so the job becomes a hit-or-miss game or guesswork (only the script name inside the text box goes in and out of focus by pressing TAB repeatedly).

Rudy

dingo 5

#110 Post by Rudy »

don't know where to post the dingo 5 stuff.. so I do it here.

Issue with external PCMCIA CD-Rom Drive (sony vaio pIII 64MB RAM, subnotebook):

Until 1.07, the live CD booted with no problem
Until 3.01, and dingo alpha 2 the CD booted with boot-parameter "ide1=0x180"

Now it doesn't boot at all. The error is, that after loading the initrd (this still works), the system can't find the CD ROM...

Is there a new parameter available - or could be the PCMCIA stuff is missing in the kernel....? :?

Please help :shock:

Dougal

#111 Post by Dougal »

capoverde wrote:E.g., try changing the screen resolution this way in Dingo's XVesa wizard window: the chosen value can be clearly seen, as a dot appears in the corresponding button, but then neither the <CHANGE> nor the <OK> button get highlighted or focused to show which is the active one, so the job becomes a hit-or-miss game or guesswork (only the script name inside the text box goes in and out of focus by pressing TAB repeatedly).
Assuming it's a gtk gui you're talking about, then it's a problem with the gtk-theme, so try changing it.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

capoverde

#112 Post by capoverde »

Hi Dougal! That's it, for sure.

My point was this: if a total newbie boots Puppy, his mouse doesn't work and he doesn't give up at once, he'll try to play around the main settings from the keyboard; if still more difficulties come out there, he'll most certainly give up Puppy forever.

It's a margin issue, as I said. I quite like the Citrus theme of Dingo, and by far prefer it to the other available GTK themes; but its highlighting ought to be more visible. Most users may care more for this than for having an FTP client or a powerful partitioning tool at hand!

BTW, a review I recently read gave Puppy a big overall thumbs-up, except for a minus to the graphical looks. However silly, this is what gives the very first impression: and an uncertain visual feedback transmits a feeling of insecurity.

Dougal

#113 Post by Dougal »

capoverde wrote:I quite like the Citrus theme of Dingo, and by far prefer it to the other available GTK themes; but its highlighting ought to be more visible.
The Citrus theme is pretty bad since it's slow... Try running on old HW and changing between that and a different theme and you'll notice a big difference.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

capoverde

#114 Post by capoverde »

Thank you Dougal for your hint.

I'm testing with a K6-II/400; changing from Citrus to any of the other themes I'm unable to detect a quicker response to window opening - maybe my manual test is insufficient: by clicking very quickly twelve times on the "file" (home) icon, with any theme it takes about 0,5 seconds to open the first 2 or 3 windows (about 0,2 sec each), then the subsequent ones open much faster (ten in less than 0,8 sec).

While doing this, I notice that Puppy isn't running entirely from RAM as I expected since this PC has 128MB RAM, the HD has a swap partition and there seem to be 186MB free with SeaMonkey and Geany running.

This happens whether or not I give pfix=ram at boot; I've surely missed something.

geneven

Alpha 5 is identified as Alpha 5?

#115 Post by geneven »

I've downloaded something I thought was Alpha 5 twice and it said it was Alpha 4. Am I getting the wrong one?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Alpha 5 is identified as Alpha 5?

#116 Post by BarryK »

geneven wrote:I've downloaded something I thought was Alpha 5 twice and it said it was Alpha 4. Am I getting the wrong one?
I forgot to update the initial welcome/menu screen.

Dougal

#117 Post by Dougal »

capoverde wrote:
I'm testing with a K6-II/400; changing from Citrus to any of the other themes I'm unable to detect a quicker response to window opening - maybe my manual test is insufficient: by clicking very quickly twelve times on the "file" (home) icon, with any theme it takes about 0,5 seconds to open the first 2 or 3 windows (about 0,2 sec each), then the subsequent ones open much faster (ten in less than 0,8 sec).
There isn't much to render in a Rox window (what there is is the mime-types, which are dependent on the Rox-theme, rather than gtk).
Tempestuous mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he's unhappy with Dingo because it's slow, so I tested and found that opening things like Geany is slower with the Citrus theme. It is also noticeable when you shade/unshade windows.
While doing this, I notice that Puppy isn't running entirely from RAM as I expected since this PC has 128MB RAM, the HD has a swap partition and there seem to be 186MB free with SeaMonkey and Geany running.

This happens whether or not I give pfix=ram at boot; I've surely missed something.
Since puppy3, the filesystem is only loaded into ram if you have more than 256MB of physical ram.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

BarryK
Puppy Master

#118 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote:

Since puppy3, the filesystem is only loaded into ram if you have more than 256MB of physical ram.
No, at least No for Dingo, I don't recall about Puppy3, pup_xxx.sfs is copied to ram if there is more than 230000KB (224.6MB) free physical ram. Maybe there are some systems that have 256MB but have less than 224.6MB free at bootup?
Also, Dingo supports 'puppy pfix=noram' to prevent the pup_xxx.sfs from loading into ram.

Dougal

#119 Post by Dougal »

BarryK wrote:No, at least No for Dingo, I don't recall about Puppy3, pup_xxx.sfs is copied to ram if there is more than 230000KB (224.6MB) free physical ram. Maybe there are some systems that have 256MB but have less than 224.6MB free at bootup?
Well, that's kind of nit-picking... Your comment in the script even makes a reference to it being 256MB or above. The point is that when someone with 192MB ram (like me) doesn't get the filesystem in ram (which they used to).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

BarryK
Puppy Master

#120 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote:
BarryK wrote:No, at least No for Dingo, I don't recall about Puppy3, pup_xxx.sfs is copied to ram if there is more than 230000KB (224.6MB) free physical ram. Maybe there are some systems that have 256MB but have less than 224.6MB free at bootup?
Well, that's kind of nit-picking... Your comment in the script even makes a reference to it being 256MB or above. The point is that when someone with 192MB ram (like me) doesn't get the filesystem in ram (which they used to).
Nitpicking? I only gave a factual reply to your comment:
which is incorrect for Dingo.