Dingo Alpha 4 (full) release Jan 5

Please post any bugs you have found
John Doe

#21 Post by John Doe »

kirk wrote:John, that link works for me. It does seem to redirect to a FTP site though.
Thanks Kirk.

I got it now. Seems to only NOT work with Windows (any application I try).

I can't get my puppy machine on a network, so I had to go upstairs boot up and download it that way.

Thanks again for the reply. Can't wait to start testing :-)

fwilt1

installation to usb memory stick problems

#22 Post by fwilt1 »

Loaded up ALpha 4 to cd, and booted on pentium 4, BEAUTY, much better at recognising the LCD monitor, and all drives identified. Everything seemed to work at a quick glance.
So, having read of difficulties in loading to IDE hard drive, I decided to give that a miss and to load to USB kingston memory stick.
Dingo identified the drive, reminded me to mount the cd, reminded me to format the usb memory to linux, and told me to go ahead, which I did , but it didn't!
USB LED showed no activity and nor did Dingo.
Has this problem been identified before, and is there a work around?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: installation to usb memory stick problems

#23 Post by BarryK »

fwilt1 wrote:Loaded up ALpha 4 to cd, and booted on pentium 4, BEAUTY, much better at recognising the LCD monitor, and all drives identified. Everything seemed to work at a quick glance.
So, having read of difficulties in loading to IDE hard drive, I decided to give that a miss and to load to USB kingston memory stick.
Dingo identified the drive, reminded me to mount the cd, reminded me to format the usb memory to linux, and told me to go ahead, which I did , but it didn't!
USB LED showed no activity and nor did Dingo.
Has this problem been identified before, and is there a work around?
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I have introduced a typo. I put in a couple of extra Xdialog dialog boxes just before uploading alpha5, without testing the script. So, maybe I was too hasty. I'll test it tonight.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#24 Post by BarryK »

NOTICE TO EVERYBODY: from feedback in this thread, I may have stuffed up something in the Universal Installer script. So, put testing of that on hold for now. I'll report back soon.

pdrito

CD/DVD multisession

#25 Post by pdrito »

Hi friends,

I don't have HDD on my PC, but have 1.5 GB RAM memory. :D

I think there is a bug on the CD/DVD multisession script:
So when I load dingo alpha4 iso, everything goes OK on his the first load and setup.
But when try to save the session to dingo CD, its start the normal routine and after some normal messages its finish with NO SAVE and asking to put a NEW CD because it is full, etc.

Please, if you kind, check this.

Tui

#26 Post by Tui »

Well so far this last version is going well ! - I am using to make
this posting. I have been testing on a number of my machines,
one being a wireless thro' to my wireless router and other connected
via LAN cable.

A few items that I wish to make comment on. How can I change
the " orange" look - it's not too kind on my eyesight ?

"Pfind" with a screenshot that I have included I wish to look at some
dot (.)png files and had detected 1764 of them, but can't view
more than 500 items with remark " See menu item configuration "
How do I get to where to change this ?

I have a webcam connected up to this machine ACER veriton 5100
Where is the prog to control the camera ? I can't get the LEDs'
that are on both sides of the lens to turn off !

Details of camera vendor are viewable from my screenshot.

Finally for the moment why can't we have the "PMIXER" back
the stereo version ? I thought that its introduction was progress
forward!

Cheers Tui
Attachments
Alpha4.jpg
(91.14 KiB) Downloaded 791 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: CD/DVD multisession

#27 Post by Flash »

pdrito wrote:... I think there is a bug on the CD/DVD multisession script:
So when I load dingo alpha4 iso, everything goes OK on his the first load and setup.
But when try to save the session to dingo CD, its start the normal routine and after some normal messages its finish with NO SAVE and asking to put a NEW CD because it is full, etc. ...
Me too! I was finally able to take 3.94 20080104 for a spin yesterday. When I shut down I told Puppy to save to the same multisession DVD+RW I've been using for many tests, Puppy seems to go through the motions but pops out the the tray way too soon without writing to the DVD, and says it's time to upgrade or some such. It happened on two different machines with different brands of DVD burners.

Also, I can't find SeaMonkey's cache. By default it's supposed to be in /root/.Mozilla/default, but I can't seem to find it there in 3.94 20080104.

The version of Gxine in 3.94 20080104 is still a little buggy but nevertheless a great improvement. I did something that caused the Gxine control panel to disappear and had to poke around a while to find it again. After that, for the first time, I was able to watch a DVD in full screen without Gxine crashing.

In the first alpha of 3.94, with only xvesa, running ddcprobe from the console caused Puppy to lock up. I used Xorg in 3.94 20080104 and ddcprobe did not cause Puppy to freeze.

John Doe

#28 Post by John Doe »

Good News

1-Booting Pluses, much faster than 3.01

tested using pfix=ram on same hardware* (from 'enter' to 'localization wizard'):

*hardware: 1ghz proc,~800 megs ram, pretty fast CDreader.

3.01 = 67 seconds
4A4 = 51 seconds

2-SMP works on my hyperthreaded processor right out of the box!!!

3-Nice Icons!!

4-Wizards, *see attachments

I had written both these at one point or another. They are burried around here in the forum somewhere. If you are interested in including either (or both) of these, feel free. The IE Favorite wizard is great for importing IE Favorites to a mozilla format and the Host wizard is great for blocking ads and blocking snooping cookies. You're also welcome to move them somewhere else if you don't want them as "wizards".

Bad News

SaveFile Troubles:

1-usbflash, won't work if I either let puppy find it on it's own or use 'pmedia=usbflash'

2-usbhd, puppy will not find savefile on it's own; will find savefile if I type 'pmedia=usbhd'

---

app troubles:

Pwireless just keeps opening back up when I X it out. One actually has to press 'quit' to make it go away. This made me chuckle a bit.

CHMsee hangs indefinitely when I select "file->open" from the menu.

xine, when opened 'full screen', doesn't cover the JWM Taskbar.

---

JWM configuration troubles.

When I change the JWM theme using "JWM configuration" I get a couple spots that don't seem to get configured when I change themes.

*see picture (note arrows)

---

'Chtheme GTK theme chooser'/'Wallpaper setter'.

Can't seem to find a way to just pick a solid color. I can work around it personally, but some less able users might just want a solid color somehow.

---

p.s. sorry if any of this isn't supposed to work yet or you knew about it already. I was just cruzing along trying my best to test. Keep up the killer work. Dingo is really looking good.
Attachments
HostWizard-1.0.0.pet
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
IEFavWizard-1.0.0.pet
(2 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

dvw86

#29 Post by dvw86 »

John Doe wrote: JWM configuration troubles.

When I change the JWM theme using "JWM configuration" I get a couple spots that don't seem to get configured when I change themes.

*see picture (note arrows)
I noticed the same thing.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#30 Post by BarryK »

pdrito wrote:Hi friends,

I don't have HDD on my PC, but have 1.5 GB RAM memory. :D

I think there is a bug on the CD/DVD multisession script:
But when try to save the session to dingo CD, its start the normal routine and after some normal messages its finish with NO SAVE and asking to put a NEW CD because it is full, etc.

Please, if you kind, check this.
Is it actually a CD-R that you are using, not a DVD?
I'll check it out tonight.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Also, I can't find SeaMonkey's cache. By default it's supposed to be in /root/.Mozilla/default, but I can't seem to find it there in 3.94 20080104.
I think that I turned it off, for consideration of multisession people. You have to go into the Preferences and turn it on.

raffy

SD

#32 Post by raffy »

Barry, you said this to dvw86:
Regarding SD card support, alpha4 does have that, but not at bootup.
In my experience, SD access is faster than USB, and I boot the eee with an external SD card. In the eee, the internal storage is /dev/hdc while the external SD is /dev/sda. However, in the eee BIOS, external SD is counted as HDD, and you can set it to boot from the external "HDD" first.

I wonder if the failure of poweroff in alpha4 (run from SD) is related to this.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#33 Post by Flash »

BarryK wrote:
Flash wrote:Also, I can't find SeaMonkey's cache. By default it's supposed to be in /root/.Mozilla/default, but I can't seem to find it there in 3.94 20080104.
I think that I turned it off, for consideration of multisession people. You have to go into the Preferences and turn it on.
The cache is where I find Real Audio files and Flash files I've listened to that I want to save. To keep the cache from messing up my multisession, I go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > cache and tell SeaMonkey to put the cache in /tmp so that it is not saved. I tried to do that in 3.94-20080104 but it didn't seem to work, which is when I discovered there is no cache at all. I don't see where I can turn it off and on.

PaulBx1

#34 Post by PaulBx1 »

If you click on the clock, lower right corner, you get Ical in older revisions, nothing at all in dingo alpha 3 (haven't tried 4 yet). Neither seems correct to me. I like the windows notion of getting to the clock to adjust it.

Perhaps a right click there can be turned into a menu, with the items "Ical", "Set date and time", and "Set time zone"? I looked at modifying it myself and its beyond my abilities at this point. Maybe someone else might give it a try? Just a thought...

John Doe

#35 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:...click on the clock...Ical in older revisions, nothing at all in dingo alpha 3 (haven't tried 4 yet).
something that looks like Ical pops up in 4 with a launch button for Osmo.
PaulBx1 wrote:I like the windows notion of getting to the clock to adjust it.

Perhaps a right click there can be turned into a menu, with the items "Ical", "Set date and time", and "Set time zone"? I looked at modifying it myself and its beyond my abilities at this point. Maybe someone else might give it a try? Just a thought...
great thought. I'm also thinking a menu would be cool.

Sage

#36 Post by Sage »

Concerning the strange case of the invisible IDE HD drives, first the good news. It has now been possible to see some of them with PMount and even manipulate them with GPartEd. To do all this, it was necessary first to M$FDisk them and M$Format them and mount them on the old PII/C400 (not sure whether it's an LX or BX chipset). None of this has generally been necessary with either previous series2, series1 nor any other distro.
And now for the bad news.
At no stage is cfdisk functional, although this was an issue in another recent testing release and was fixed.
Furthermore, although the PUI now sees an IDE HD on the PII board once it has been ext2/3 reformatted, after selecting the second screen for Full installation to hdx (the nomenclature hasn't been rewritten yet, either), the entire process just disappears - no crash, no lock-up, it just stops and disappears with full access returned to the desktop.
As reported again in the BK blog this morning - Dingo is broken. It doesn't work for anyone proposing full installation to IDE. These tests suggest that there is considerably more than a typo or a single coding failure, but I'm no expert in that department. The show is now stopped at this location until one can read of major reworking of the IDE function.

PS The new PCLOS Mini-me 2008 is rather good.

fwilt1

USB install

#37 Post by fwilt1 »

Barry, USB install process halted just as described in comment by "justgreg" on your blog.
Exactly same point in executing the script.
"I used ps-a to check the process to see where it fails.
Starting the universal installer results in a new process called puppyinstaller. After selecting usbflash, the puppyinstaller is still there along with one for GTK. Selecting the device (sd?1), the processes are still going, but process numbers do change. Agreeing to the device selected, results in the processes still going. The processes still are working after one picks the CD for the source. The proper device for the CD is listed. Upon clicking on OK to start copying, the CDROM starts and then stops. A check of process shows all process for the universal installer have stopped and are not listed. I did check and found the cdrom was mounted in mnt/sr0. I had made sure the CDROm was not mounted at the start of this. I looked at the puppyinstaller script and one selects the Cdrom in line 699. The error has to be just after that line. I hope this helps."

HairyWill

#38 Post by HairyWill »

I don't know if is deliberate or accidental but there is no /usr/sbin/pptp needed to connect to a pptp vpn.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

BlackAdder

VMWare and Alpha 4

#39 Post by BlackAdder »

In case others are interested...
Created a VMWare virtual machine for Alpha 4 and ran it with XP as a host. Runs at close to native speed as far as I can tell. Only XVESA would work with the virtual display adapter. Configured an ext3 virtual disk and tried a frugal install to it without success. But making the disk bootable and copying the files across by hand etc. resulted in a functional Puppy that can either be suspended/restarted via VMWare or shut down and restarted via Puppy.
The VM was created using the PC User Mag. (Aust.) Virtual Machine Shop included with the January edition DVD.

geneven

Usb install

#40 Post by geneven »

Ok, I'm a bit confused about where we are in this dialog, what version we are discussing, which thread (here or bugs?) etc. But here is where _I_ am. Maybe I should go back to beginner's class.

I am running Dingo Alpha 5. I still can't install to USB using the Universal installer.

When I run the universal installer, it currently tells me that I can run the partitioner, because I currently have no partitions.

After I run the partitioner and made it all a ext3 partition (it had been formatted in windows xp as vfat, I guess you call it), it basically told me the same thing. So I reran the parititioner and left some of the 2 gig Patriot usb drive unformatted, the rest ext 3.

I still basically get the choice of installing as a megafloppy or rerunning the partitioner again.

I don't mind running from my DVD; it works great. But I thought I'd report this.