Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 20:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Dingo Alpha 4 (full) release Jan 5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
JustGreg

Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 653
Location: Connecticut USA

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan 2008, 21:19    Post subject:
Subject description: Problem with Universal Installer
 

I tried to do a frugal installation to a hard disk ext2 partition with the Universal installer. It failed after I selected the CDROM as the source of needed puppy files. I confirmed it failed two more times. This makes me crazy in the Einstein sense. Repeat the same process and expecting different results Very Happy

I did a manual frugal installation since Grub was setup already on the hard disk. I created the directory pup394 and then copied vmlinuz, pup394.sfs, initrd.gz and zdrv394.sfs. Boot the partition and puppy digno alpha4 full came up. However, at shutdown, the save to partition option was not available. If one has a 20 gigabyte ext 2 partition, one would like to use the entire partition and not be limited to maximum size of pup_save.2fs.

_________________
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
John Doe

Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 1689
Location: Michigan, US

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2008, 03:28    Post subject:  

the link to the iso is broken for me.

anyone else have this trouble?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/test/puppy-4.00-dingo-alpha4/puppy-3.94-seamonkey-20080104.iso
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2008, 07:29    Post subject:
Subject description: Problem with Universal Installer
 

JustGreg wrote:
I tried to do a frugal installation to a hard disk ext2 partition with the Universal installer. It failed after I selected the CDROM as the source of needed puppy files. I confirmed it failed two more times. This makes me crazy in the Einstein sense. Repeat the same process and expecting different results Very Happy

I did a manual frugal installation since Grub was setup already on the hard disk. I created the directory pup394 and then copied vmlinuz, pup394.sfs, initrd.gz and zdrv394.sfs. Boot the partition and puppy digno alpha4 full came up. However, at shutdown, the save to partition option was not available. If one has a 20 gigabyte ext 2 partition, one would like to use the entire partition and not be limited to maximum size of pup_save.2fs.

I have not yet fixed the frugal install problems that were reported in earlier alphas. I document fixes on my blog as they get done, so when I fix this I'll announce it, then the next release will have the fix.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
John Doe

Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 1689
Location: Michigan, US

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2008, 18:16    Post subject:  

John Doe wrote:
the link to the iso is broken for me.

anyone else have this trouble?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/test/puppy-4.00-dingo-alpha4/puppy-3.94-seamonkey-20080104.iso


I'm getting this as a reply to the 'get':

Code:
2008-01-06 17:14:13.015 HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently


never seen that before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
kirk

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 1365
Location: florida

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2008, 18:41    Post subject:  

John, that link works for me. It does seem to redirect to a FTP site though.


Barry,

Dingo Alpha4 is looking very nice. Kind of like Xine-ui. I had Alpha 3 running for over a week straight, built T2 a few times with it. Seems quite stable. The orange is hard to look at though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
John Doe

Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 1689
Location: Michigan, US

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2008, 18:58    Post subject:  

kirk wrote:
John, that link works for me. It does seem to redirect to a FTP site though.


Thanks Kirk.

I got it now. Seems to only NOT work with Windows (any application I try).

I can't get my puppy machine on a network, so I had to go upstairs boot up and download it that way.

Thanks again for the reply. Can't wait to start testing Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fwilt1

Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2008, 19:34    Post subject:  installation to usb memory stick problems  

Loaded up ALpha 4 to cd, and booted on pentium 4, BEAUTY, much better at recognising the LCD monitor, and all drives identified. Everything seemed to work at a quick glance.
So, having read of difficulties in loading to IDE hard drive, I decided to give that a miss and to load to USB kingston memory stick.
Dingo identified the drive, reminded me to mount the cd, reminded me to format the usb memory to linux, and told me to go ahead, which I did , but it didn't!
USB LED showed no activity and nor did Dingo.
Has this problem been identified before, and is there a work around?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2008, 03:31    Post subject: Re: installation to usb memory stick problems  

fwilt1 wrote:
Loaded up ALpha 4 to cd, and booted on pentium 4, BEAUTY, much better at recognising the LCD monitor, and all drives identified. Everything seemed to work at a quick glance.
So, having read of difficulties in loading to IDE hard drive, I decided to give that a miss and to load to USB kingston memory stick.
Dingo identified the drive, reminded me to mount the cd, reminded me to format the usb memory to linux, and told me to go ahead, which I did , but it didn't!
USB LED showed no activity and nor did Dingo.
Has this problem been identified before, and is there a work around?

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I have introduced a typo. I put in a couple of extra Xdialog dialog boxes just before uploading alpha5, without testing the script. So, maybe I was too hasty. I'll test it tonight.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2008, 03:37    Post subject:  

NOTICE TO EVERYBODY: from feedback in this thread, I may have stuffed up something in the Universal Installer script. So, put testing of that on hold for now. I'll report back soon.
_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
pdrito

Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2008, 08:49    Post subject: CD/DVD multisession  

Hi friends,

I don't have HDD on my PC, but have 1.5 GB RAM memory. Very Happy

I think there is a bug on the CD/DVD multisession script:
So when I load dingo alpha4 iso, everything goes OK on his the first load and setup.
But when try to save the session to dingo CD, its start the normal routine and after some normal messages its finish with NO SAVE and asking to put a NEW CD because it is full, etc.

Please, if you kind, check this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Tui

Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Location: Wellington New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2008, 19:25    Post subject:  

Well so far this last version is going well ! - I am using to make
this posting. I have been testing on a number of my machines,
one being a wireless thro' to my wireless router and other connected
via LAN cable.

A few items that I wish to make comment on. How can I change
the " orange" look - it's not too kind on my eyesight ?

"Pfind" with a screenshot that I have included I wish to look at some
dot (.)png files and had detected 1764 of them, but can't view
more than 500 items with remark " See menu item configuration "
How do I get to where to change this ?

I have a webcam connected up to this machine ACER veriton 5100
Where is the prog to control the camera ? I can't get the LEDs'
that are on both sides of the lens to turn off !

Details of camera vendor are viewable from my screenshot.

Finally for the moment why can't we have the "PMIXER" back
the stereo version ? I thought that its introduction was progress
forward!

Cheers Tui
Alpha4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   91.14 KB
 Viewed   701 Time(s)

Alpha4.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 10666
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2008, 22:46    Post subject: Re: CD/DVD multisession  

pdrito wrote:
... I think there is a bug on the CD/DVD multisession script:
So when I load dingo alpha4 iso, everything goes OK on his the first load and setup.
But when try to save the session to dingo CD, its start the normal routine and after some normal messages its finish with NO SAVE and asking to put a NEW CD because it is full, etc. ...

Me too! I was finally able to take 3.94 20080104 for a spin yesterday. When I shut down I told Puppy to save to the same multisession DVD+RW I've been using for many tests, Puppy seems to go through the motions but pops out the the tray way too soon without writing to the DVD, and says it's time to upgrade or some such. It happened on two different machines with different brands of DVD burners.

Also, I can't find SeaMonkey's cache. By default it's supposed to be in /root/.Mozilla/default, but I can't seem to find it there in 3.94 20080104.

The version of Gxine in 3.94 20080104 is still a little buggy but nevertheless a great improvement. I did something that caused the Gxine control panel to disappear and had to poke around a while to find it again. After that, for the first time, I was able to watch a DVD in full screen without Gxine crashing.

In the first alpha of 3.94, with only xvesa, running ddcprobe from the console caused Puppy to lock up. I used Xorg in 3.94 20080104 and ddcprobe did not cause Puppy to freeze.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
John Doe

Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 1689
Location: Michigan, US

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan 2008, 01:43    Post subject:  

Good News

1-Booting Pluses, much faster than 3.01

tested using pfix=ram on same hardware* (from 'enter' to 'localization wizard'):

*hardware: 1ghz proc,~800 megs ram, pretty fast CDreader.

3.01 = 67 seconds
4A4 = 51 seconds

2-SMP works on my hyperthreaded processor right out of the box!!!

3-Nice Icons!!

4-Wizards, *see attachments

I had written both these at one point or another. They are burried around here in the forum somewhere. If you are interested in including either (or both) of these, feel free. The IE Favorite wizard is great for importing IE Favorites to a mozilla format and the Host wizard is great for blocking ads and blocking snooping cookies. You're also welcome to move them somewhere else if you don't want them as "wizards".

Bad News

SaveFile Troubles:

1-usbflash, won't work if I either let puppy find it on it's own or use 'pmedia=usbflash'

2-usbhd, puppy will not find savefile on it's own; will find savefile if I type 'pmedia=usbhd'

---

app troubles:

Pwireless just keeps opening back up when I X it out. One actually has to press 'quit' to make it go away. This made me chuckle a bit.

CHMsee hangs indefinitely when I select "file->open" from the menu.

xine, when opened 'full screen', doesn't cover the JWM Taskbar.

---

JWM configuration troubles.

When I change the JWM theme using "JWM configuration" I get a couple spots that don't seem to get configured when I change themes.

*see picture (note arrows)

---

'Chtheme GTK theme chooser'/'Wallpaper setter'.

Can't seem to find a way to just pick a solid color. I can work around it personally, but some less able users might just want a solid color somehow.

---

p.s. sorry if any of this isn't supposed to work yet or you knew about it already. I was just cruzing along trying my best to test. Keep up the killer work. Dingo is really looking good.
HostWizard-1.0.0.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  HostWizard-1.0.0.pet 
Filesize  1.79 KB 
Downloaded  319 Time(s) 
IEFavWizard-1.0.0.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  IEFavWizard-1.0.0.pet 
Filesize  2 KB 
Downloaded  306 Time(s) 
jwm-theme (Small).PNG
 Description   
 Filesize   319.67 KB
 Viewed   580 Time(s)

jwm-theme (Small).PNG

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dvw86


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 636
Location: Washington State

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan 2008, 02:08    Post subject:  

John Doe wrote:

JWM configuration troubles.

When I change the JWM theme using "JWM configuration" I get a couple spots that don't seem to get configured when I change themes.

*see picture (note arrows)


I noticed the same thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan 2008, 06:17    Post subject: Re: CD/DVD multisession  

pdrito wrote:
Hi friends,

I don't have HDD on my PC, but have 1.5 GB RAM memory. Very Happy

I think there is a bug on the CD/DVD multisession script:
So when I load dingo alpha4 iso, everything goes OK on his the first load and setup.
But when try to save the session to dingo CD, its start the normal routine and after some normal messages its finish with NO SAVE and asking to put a NEW CD because it is full, etc.

Please, if you kind, check this.

Is it actually a CD-R that you are using, not a DVD?
I'll check it out tonight.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0873s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0104s) ][ GZIP on ]