fbpanel-4.12 window manager panel

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

fbpanel-4.12 window manager panel

#1 Post by plinej »

This was compiled in Puppy 4 and may not work on other Puppies.

http://fbpanel.sourceforge.net/

This is just a light weight panel for your window manager. Useful if you want to use a window manager with no panel (like pekwm or openbox). Included is a xdg for Puppy menu updater. Just install the dotpet, and refresh your menu. You should then have 2 fbpanel options in the menu under "Desktop". To start it with the default options just select "fbpanel - start-refresh" or to configure fbpanel use "fbpanel config" which is a gtkdialog app I wrote to configure fbpanel. When you're done configuring it just start it up by selecting the first menu entry I mentioned.

2008-01-22:
I revised the pfbpanel script and created a tempicons script. The tempicons script will symlink the various icons in puppy to /tmp/icons so the menus will find the icons in one location. You'll want to add these lines to the end of /usr/sbin/fixmenus

Code: Select all

#support for fbpanel, lxpanel, openbox, fluxbox, pekwm...
[ `which tempicons` ] && tempicons
[ `which fbpanel_menu_refresh` ] && fbpanel_menu_refresh
[ `which lxpanel_menu_refresh` ] && lxpanel_menu_refresh
[ `which jwm2fluxbox` ] && jwm2fluxbox  ##current fluxbox_menu_refresh doesn't support menu icons while this does
[ `which obmenu-refresh` ] && obmenu-refresh
[ `which jwm2pekwm` ] && jwm2pekwm 
Attachments
fbpanel-4.12-2.pet
(165.04 KiB) Downloaded 1174 times
Last edited by plinej on Tue 22 Jan 2008, 23:56, edited 9 times in total.

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

here's a pic:
Attachments
fbpanel.jpg
(67.78 KiB) Downloaded 1951 times

MU

#3 Post by MU »

thanks, works fine in Muppy008, so should work in Puppy 3, too.
Only issue at first sight:
Icons from addon pets or dotpups are not displayed in the menu.

Mark

plinej

#4 Post by plinej »

Icons should be displayed in the fbpanel menu for dotpets/dotpups if you run the fbpanel_menu_refresh command (fbpanel-refresh in the menu) after installing the package. The only problem I noticed is if the .desktop file does not specify the .png or .xpm extension of the icon. Fbpanel needs to know the extension too.

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

I just updated the package so the puppy shutdown menu is also included in the fbpanel menu.

MU

#6 Post by MU »

from gqview.desktop:

Icon=/usr/share/icons/gqview.png
from /root/.fbpanel/default (after runningfbpanel_menu_refresh ) :

item {
 name = GQview
 image = /tmp/icons//usr/share/icons/gqview.png
 action = gqview -r %F
}
So the script that builds the menu seems to work not correct in such cases, where a full path is given for the icon.

/tmp/icons/gqview.png exists as link.

Same happens with lxpanel, that works too very fine in Muppy 008 :)

Mark

plinej

#7 Post by plinej »

Yes, I see that too. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll see if I can work on something to fix it.

MU

#8 Post by MU »

this seems to work with lxpanel:

/usr/sbin/lxpanel_menu_refresh

cat $HOME/.lxpanel/default1| sed "s#/tmp/icons/.*/#/tmp/icons/#" > $HOME/.lxpanel/default
cat /tmp/lxpanel-menu| sed "s#/tmp/icons/.*/#/tmp/icons/#" >> $HOME/.lxpanel/default
cat $HOME/.lxpanel/default2| sed "s#/tmp/icons/.*/#/tmp/icons/#" >> $HOME/.lxpanel/default
cat $HOME/.lxpanel/default3| sed "s#/tmp/icons/.*/#/tmp/icons/#" >> $HOME/.lxpanel/default
echo iface = `cat /tmp/$WHOAMI-ifconfig-tmp` >> $HOME/.lxpanel/default
cat $HOME/.lxpanel/default4 | sed "s#/tmp/icons/.*/#/tmp/icons/#">> $HOME/.lxpanel/default
I just added:
| sed "s#/tmp/icons/.*/#/tmp/icons/#"

Time to sleep.
Good night, Mark

plinej

#9 Post by plinej »

I just updated the package with some fixes and modifications.

MU

#10 Post by MU »

great, shows all my icons now :)
Over christmas I experimented with some windowmanagers to get test thumbnailing in GtkBasic, and fbpanel is a great utility for them.

Mark

plinej

#11 Post by plinej »

Nice! Glad it works for you. I like lxpanel a little better, only because they ported the gnome network plugin which is very nice.

plinej

#12 Post by plinej »

I updated the package again. I fixed the shutdown menu options and added help to the menu. I also included Barry's modification that he mentioned in his blog.

magerlab

#13 Post by magerlab »

on the projectś site itś written that fbpanel can provide many plugins ( but the link is empty now)
how to add a tray ( notification area) functions?

magerlab

#14 Post by magerlab »

soryy for posting again
i did not see anything in a tray because I had icewmtray runnig in my script to have some apps in icewm toolbar
with open box it looks like old xfce4 wich i liked so much

plinej

#15 Post by plinej »

I repackaged this since I wrote a gtkdialog gui for configuring fbpanel and changed the fbpanel_menu_refresh script to use my new script instead. fbpanel_menu_refresh will just execute "pfbpanel refresh" and do all of the menu updating as before without opening the pfbpanel gui. Otherwise run "fbpanel config" from the "Desktop" menu to configure fbpanel to your liking. You don't need to un-install the previous package since this will overwrite the old but you may want to remove some of the unused files. You won't need any of the files in the /usr/share/fbpanel directory except for the images & plugins directories. You can also delete the /root/.fbpanel directory.

plinej

#16 Post by plinej »

updated the package again, read the first post

panda_watch

#17 Post by panda_watch »

Hi,

I want to use fbpanel with two panels, one at the bottom and one at the top. I have set it up like this but I would like the panel at the top to be covered by windows when i expand them. I have also achieved this by setting setdocktype = false & setpartialstrut = false for the top panel, however, when I use the show desktop button the top panel is minimised and no longer showing which is a pain. Just wondering if anyone else with more knowledge than me knows a way around this?

Cheers