fluxbox-1.0.0 (w/ imlib2 support for menu icons)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

fluxbox-1.0.0 (w/ imlib2 support for menu icons)

#1 Post by plinej »

This was compiled in Puppy 4 and may not work on other Puppies.

You'll need imlib2 for this version to work. You can find that here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=163903

If you don't care about menu icons and don't want the extra dependency you can download the other package I posted at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23754

The version posted here has my modified xdg script included in the package already. Unfortunately it doesn't add the icons to the menu and I'm not sure how to modify the source code to make it do that. Maybe Rarsa or Nathan can fix it. So, to get the icons displayed, I wrote a simple bash script called "jwm2fluxbox" (different than MU's puppybasic script - I didn't include his because Puppy 4 doesn't have puppybasic) and put it in the package too (it's at /usr/sbin). Just install the dotpet, type in "jwm2fluxbox" at the terminal prompt, exit to prompt (ctrl-alt-backspace), and enter "xwin startfluxbox".

2008-01-22:
I revised the jwm2fluxbox script and created a tempicons script. The tempicons script will symlink the various icons in puppy to /tmp/icons so the menus will find the icons in one location. You'll want to add these lines to the end of /usr/sbin/fixmenus

Code: Select all

#support for fbpanel, lxpanel, openbox, fluxbox, pekwm...
[ `which tempicons` ] && tempicons
[ `which fbpanel_menu_refresh` ] && fbpanel_menu_refresh
[ `which lxpanel_menu_refresh` ] && lxpanel_menu_refresh
[ `which jwm2fluxbox` ] && jwm2fluxbox  ##current fluxbox_menu_refresh doesn't support menu icons while this does
[ `which obmenu-refresh` ] && obmenu-refresh
[ `which jwm2pekwm` ] && jwm2pekwm 
Last edited by plinej on Wed 23 Jan 2008, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

Here's a pic of fluxbox with the menu icons.
Attachments
fluxbox.jpg
(69.5 KiB) Downloaded 10346 times

DaveDX

#3 Post by DaveDX »

Works great! My favorite WM.

Thanks,
Dave

DaveDX

#4 Post by DaveDX »

Will these pet's work in Puppy 3.01?

Dave

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

They might, I built them in Puppy 4 though.

DaveDX

#6 Post by DaveDX »

[/img]
Attachments
FluxShot.jpg
Fluxbox with transparency is way cool.
(154.3 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times

plinej

#7 Post by plinej »

package has been updated, see the first post

Eyes-Only

#8 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Plinej!

I've been trying out Dingo Alpha 6 tonight, and while JWM has much improved what with v2, it's still far from one of my favourite window managers. (No offense I hope to those who love JWM! I just think it's done best in VL 5.9.)

I thought I'd seen somewhere around the software section of the forum that you'd done Fluxbox for Dingo and I know how much I'd enjoyed it in the 2.x series of Puppy when you'd done it there, often switching to it for a change of pace. Now that I frequently use TinyFlux as a distro I've truly come to appreciate the power of such a lite-weight window manager Fluxbox is...

Needless to say my fellow Puppian friend I was glad when I did find it tonight and that you had compiled it for Dingo. Works great! Keep up the wonderful work plinej for those of us who can't but wished we could. You sure help us to continue enjoying this amazing distro we've all come to love over the years and can't seem to do without. :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*