HowTo Install VMware Player (vmplayer)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jcoder24

HowTo Install VMware Player (vmplayer)

#1 Post by jcoder24 »

HowTo Updated 20080327

Script Updated 20071228
Script now includes the wrapper for vmware player 1.0.x in the dotpet package.
Script can now create the dotpet package without rerunning the installer. See below.
Fixed location of generated dotpet package created during installation.
Changed archive from .gz to .tar.gz

Prerequisites:
Make sure you have the development and kernel-source add-ons loaded. If you are using the retro version of Puppy3 you will need to use the 216 or 217 add-ons renamed to 301 -- See herefor more info. You can get the required addons from either ftp or http sites.

For assistance installing the addons visit http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215sfsExpansionPacks

Important!!
For puppy3 (or puplets based on it) install a functioning
insmod first, a copy is available here.

To install VMware Player:
0. Download VMware Player x.y.z for Linux (.tar) to a partition that has ~190M free space
1. Download the attached vminstall.tar.gzto the same location
2. Extract vminstall.tar.gz
3. Run ./vminstall.sh VMware-player-VERSION-BUILD.i386.tar.gz
4. Answer the questions presented by the vmware player installation script as desired (or you could just hit enter for every thing)
5. Answer yes/no to creating a dotpet package from the installed files. If you answer "No", you can create the dotpet later using
./vminstall.sh -p vmware-player-version". Eg ./vminstall.sh -p 2.0.2.

To get full screen in the guest OS
You have to install vmware tools in the guest OS. To obtain the tools you will need to:

1. Download a version of vmware workstation or vmware server (preferably server as it's smaller and free)
2. Extract the files and copy out the iso file for your guest OS eg windows.iso, linux.iso
3. Set the iso as (one of) your cdrom(s) and boot the guest OS
4. Once the guest OS is booted navigate to the cdrom and run the installation program

Things to note
Which version works
VMware Player 1.0.x
- works in puppy2 but not puppy3

VMware Player 2.0.x
- works in puppy2 and puppy3
- gives me a BSOD for windows guest OSes in puppy2 but works fine in puppy3
this may specific to my machine or maybe due to the version of xorg/gtk/kernel

This script was tested in puppyNOP 301r2 and puppy301.

Dotpet Package
The dotpet package created via the installer is not an unleashed package but rather more like a tgz2pet-converted slackware package. This was the quickest and least space-consuming to create. To covert it to a unleahsed dotpet use the following:

Code: Select all

pkg="VMwarePlayer-2.0.2"
pet2tgz $pkg.pet; tar xfz $pkg.tar.gz; cd $pkg; tar xvfz $pkg.tar.gz; rm $pkg.tar.gz; cd ..; dir2pet $pkg
When installing the VMwarePlayer dotpet, it will display a number of missing dependencies which is safe to ignore.

After installing the dotpet, you must either run /etc/init.d/vmware start from the console or restart, puppy before you can run vmplayer.

Reinstalling VMware Player
Will back up installed files as /path-to-file/filename.old.x so if you re-run the installer you should delete these backed-up files to save space.

What this script does
It automates the process of:[/b]
* Patching VMware Player v 1.0.x http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 321#140321
* Patching VMware Player v 2.0.x http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 262#117262
* Creating the /etc/rcX.d directories
* Fixing the menu icon for vmware
* Removing unneeded precompiled modules that take up ~120M of space
* Creates wrapper/launcher script for VMware Player 1.0.x that forces it to use the VMware-packaged gtk
* Optionally creates a dotpet package from the installed files
* Creates vmkill; a script to kill vmware in a pinch if it starts to hog the cpu

Useful Links
The download link for vmware player is http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html

To automate creating vmx config files for your vmware player visit http://www.easyvmx.com/. You can try starting with the Super Simple

For help manually create a vmx config files for your vmware player visit http://sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

To manually convert an existing installation to a vmdk image http://www.robertpeaslee.com

For advanced users only - that's why there is no description.
Attachments
vminstall.tar.gz
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 1561 times
Last edited by jcoder24 on Fri 18 Apr 2008, 14:34, edited 18 times in total.

jcoder24

#2 Post by jcoder24 »

Updated see above.

mzucker

#3 Post by mzucker »

Thanks for this post. This is just what I've been looking for!

titanreign

Attempt to remove filter function...

#4 Post by titanreign »

Hi all, as always, thank you to the ones who provide this wonderful OS, and the packages to use with it.

I have installed vmplayer as per the instructions above.
The install appears to go with no problems, but when trying to run vmplayer, I get the error:

sh-3.00# vmplayer
process 3831: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb602d3a0 user data 0x82cdc88, but no such filter has been added
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
I'm using wNOP v0.2 found here: (props to Tombh on that, awesome job man)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24871
I used the 301 development and kernel-source add-ons from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modules-3/
And download the vmplayer from:
http://download3.vmware.com/software/vm ... 386.tar.gz

The only variation I took from the instructions was not installing insmod because when running it in a terminal, I get:

sh-3.00# insmod
Usage: insmod filename [args]
So I assume it is already installed, correct?

I've googled for an hour or so now, to no avail. No results come up for the specific error code above, and by widening the search to:

vmplayer Attempt to remove filter function
I get some hits, that refer mostly to kernel issues.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search

But like I said, none of them were the same error code I received.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone encountered this before?

jcoder24

Re: Attempt to remove filter function...

#5 Post by jcoder24 »

titanreign wrote:

sh-3.00# vmplayer
process 3831: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb602d3a0 user data 0x82cdc88, but no such filter has been added
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Try running killall dbus-daemon in a console window and then run vmplayer again. I would have to google and see what causes it.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

mzucker wrote:Thanks for this post. This is just what I've been looking for!
Me too.. :)

vezuve

#7 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
<Translation on-line>
Good initiative, me which follows a beginner on “puppy linux

jcoder24

#8 Post by jcoder24 »

If you have all the requirements you only need the vminstall.tar.gz and the tar file from the vmplayer site, all other links can be ignored.

I have updated the HOWTO to try to show this. Try following it again starting from the To install VMware Player: performing steps 0 to 6. Also what version of puppy are you using?

vezuve

#9 Post by vezuve »

<Translation on-line>
Hello,
I have the version Toutou linux 03-01.1 in ISO picture.
As currently “VMplayer

vezuve

#10 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
As does show it the picture I followed the instructions, but the order is refused ? ?

Comme le montre l'image j'ai suivis les instructions, mais la commande est refusée ? ?

@+

jcoder24

#11 Post by jcoder24 »

My apologies, it should be:
./vminstall.sh VMware-player-VERSION-BUILD.i386.tar.gz

The RPM version may probably work but I would have to test it to provide assistance or modify the installer.

jcoder24

#12 Post by jcoder24 »

I've done some initial testing of the RPM. It fails complaining about missing files.

One of these files /etc/vmware/locations is a key file and vmplayer will not work without it.

vezuve

#13 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
I have again traversed your different known VM and I think that solution is very close, except that for me it is not obvious in all that is known as and this is why you should read again your various interventions according to the list attached, hope of it that that will finally make it possible to make function VM.
For my part I will remake an installation on a new system to see whether I can collect new information.

J'ai a nouveau parcouru tes différents su la VM et je pense que la solution est toute proche, sauf que pour moi c'est pas évident dans tout ce qui est [dit et c'est pourquoi tu devrait relire tes différentes interventions selon la liste ci-joint, en espèrent que cela permettra enfin de faire fonctionner la VM.
Pour ma part je vais refaire une installation sur un nouveau système pour voir si je peux récolter de nouvelles informations.

@+

Lien des différent post: / Links of different the post:
Does VMWare Player (vmplayer) stil work in puppy? (YES)
VMware Player (vmplayer) 1.0.4 for testing

vezuve

#14 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
Characteristic of PC AMD 64X2 4200+ 2.2GHz 532 Mb of RAM hard Disk of 4Go with a partition of 3.2 Go in ext2 and one of 0.8 Go in swap linux. “Toutou-linux french

jcoder24

#15 Post by jcoder24 »

The version of rpm in puppy is a limited version and WILL NOT perform all the functions of the full RPM.

I assume that the file "/etc/vmware/locations" is supposed to be created during the RPM installation process as it is not packaged in the VMwarePlayer RPM. As mentioned before, the RPM version WILL NOT WORK since it is missing that file.
Béèm wrote:Moi, j'ai l'impression que quand on te donne un conseil, que tu ne rapporte pas clairement si cela a réussi et dans la cas négative, quel son les messages d'erreur.
Did you run ./vminstall.sh VMware-player-2.0.3-80004.i386.tar.gz ?? If so, what happened? You may need to run it twice since the first run is likely to fail due to the attempted RPM installation.

It would be best if you delete the files installed by the rpm before running the vminstall.sh.

rm -rf /usr/bin/vmnet* /usr/bin/vmware* /usr/bin/vmplayer /usr/bin/vm-support /usr/lib/vmware /usr/share/doc/vmware /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/vmware-ace-vms.menu /etc/vmware

Please note
This HOWTO is for the tar.gz version and I WILL NOT be supporting the RPM version or any further questions related to it.

vezuve

#16 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
For each installation, I use a blank, so without prior installation.
I will make a new facility with the file "tar.gz" following your instructions.

Pour chaque installation, j'utilise un système vierge, donc sans installation antérieur.
Je vais faire une nouvelle installation avec le fichier "tar.gz" en suivant tes indications.

@+

vezuve

#17 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
I board taken again my installation according to your explanation and my attempt or I mentioned you on the image joint, that the order was not valid. As you can note it, it to miss one “. /

jcoder24

#18 Post by jcoder24 »

vezuve wrote:Use of uninitialized value in numeric It (<) at ./vmware-install.pl line 174. Use of uninitialized value in numeric It (<) at ./vmware-install.pl line 174.
This indicates that you have booted puppy with "pfix=ram" which explains the following message
vezuve wrote:Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine. Please make sure it is installed.
When you boot with pfix=ram none of the sfs modules are loaded. That means that neither the required development tools or kernel source would be available.

The simplest option would be to create a new save file after booting with pfix=ram, then reboot and rerun the installer.

vezuve

#19 Post by vezuve »

Hello,

I do not believe to be in RAM, since I have a "FULL".
If I must put myself in RAM, I see nothing at the start that I propose.

Je ne crois pas être en RAM, puisque j'ais une installation "FULL".
Si je doit me mettre en RAM, je ne vois rien au démarrage qui me le propose.

@+

darkwolfalone

Same error, but I have a full install

#20 Post by darkwolfalone »

jcoder, thanks so much for this howto. I am already a recent fulltime Puppy Convert, and people like you are what make it viable alternative to other OSes for newbies like me.

Now that I am done sucking up, I received the same "make" error:
Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Player is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine. Please make sure
it is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?
[yes]
However, I have a full HD install, as I think vezuve indicated. So in noob terms, what do I have to do to complete the install properly and load the VMware Player?

I realize I might be repeating vezuve's question, but I don't read babelfish translation very well and wanted to be sure :).