WIkipedia Article For derivatives Please verify

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
wikibox

WIkipedia Article For derivatives Please verify

#1 Post by wikibox »

Well first a big thanks to Barry Kauler!
I discovered Puppy Linux through wikipedia and I know this forum would have been a much better choice there are tons of people would follow the same discovery path. So the story is I wanted to try different derivatives and well the wikipedia article did not help me much. SO i decided to facilitate the task for all the other people that will sooner or later try Puppy linux and replace expensive buggy mainstream software.

The list of Puplets may not be 100% complete please feel free to edit the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linu ... erivatives

thanks for reading!
Last edited by wikibox on Thu 27 Dec 2007, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

darrelljon

#2 Post by darrelljon »

Welcome to the Puppy community. I'm not sure if including such a table on Wikipedia is a good idea. Wikipedia purists might understandably suggest this is not appropriate for an encyclopedic article. It also risks splitting users on editing the Wikipedia table and the Puppy Wikka table on derivatives. Thus leaving us with no single definitive up to date list on derivatives. The Puppy Community is already quite fragmented with regards to websites providing information.

I will make some tweaks like removing the website column, and instead linking the names but as said before, it might not work out.

wikibox

#3 Post by wikibox »

darrelljon wrote:Welcome to the Puppy community. I'm not sure if including such a table on Wikipedia is a good idea. Wikipedia purists might understandably suggest this is not appropriate for an encyclopedic article. It also risks splitting users on editing the Wikipedia table and the Puppy Wikka table on derivatives. Thus leaving us with no single definitive up to date list on derivatives. The Puppy Community is already quite fragmented with regards to websites providing information.

I will make some tweaks like removing the website column, and instead linking the names but as said before, it might not work out.
Thanks John,
Well the main focus was to facillitate the discovery of Puppy linux for other people. It is surprising how often wikipedia is used as "the only source of info" for some people. However, I do see your points.
Any suggestions are welcomed.