Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 08 Dec 2019, 00:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 10 [150 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2007, 01:08    Post subject: Menu editor? Burner?  

Gray,

Many thanks for r3. But the menu editor seems to have got lost?

I think using Pburn is still premature. I tried burning a 512Mb CD again, and it not only failed with the insufficient memory error message but pmount/mut would no longer work until rebooted. Looks like Grafburn is preferable. Mark Ulrich uses it in his great new Muppy, and I guess he has a reason.

In fact I have just now installed Grafburn v.1.1 and set up the burn-in and burn-out folders in home, outside the config file. Anyway, it works.

Now if I had the menu editor I could remove Pburn. ;-)

Henry
gray

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2007, 06:37    Post subject: Pburn  

Darn it Embarassed . I used Pburn 0.6 to produce a nearly full music CD and it worked fine for me, so I thought it was fixed and included it in NOP (again). Do you try to burn on the fly or using temp storage? If the latter you need to change from the default to somewhere with enough space on your hard disk. If the former you probably need plenty of RAM Sad .

Regarding the menueditor, I never used it so to try and save space it was removed. The way to add menu items is to produce a .desktop file in /usr/bin/applications.
klu9

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2007, 09:40    Post subject:  

@gray re opera crashing

I've noticed the exact same problem with Opera 9.24 in Freespire, and I think it only happens when using Opera as a BitTorrent client. (EDIT: It doesn't happen using 9.24 in Windows as a BT client)

I've looked at the changelog for 9.25 and BitTorrent isn't mentioned. (of course the version I'm really looking forward to in NOP is 9.5: the online bookmark syncing is a match made in heaven for a "use-anywhere" LiveCD.)

and supposedly 9.5 has improvements to their bittorrent implementation too, altho I don't if that would solve my crashing problems. For the moment I'm using Pupctorrent in NOP & Azureus in Freespire.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2007, 10:15    Post subject:  

Thanks, Gray,

Sorry, my mistake!. I finally figured out how to set up the temporary file. Equivalently the same as in Grafburn but different instructions.

Back to Pburn. Apologies to Zigbert. Editing my earlier note.

By the way, I'm sure you meant /usr/share/applications ;-)
azieser

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2007, 11:33    Post subject: Now Seeding R3  

I have added a torrent to Linux Tracker for R3 in a zip file that includes the ISO and MD5 Sum. Hope that this helps, I will continue to seed for at least a week.
klu9

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2007, 13:00    Post subject:  

@gray
R3 out already... have you considered Xdelta patches, so people don't have to redownload the whole ISO to get the few updated parts: see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24238

@azieser
what is the benefit of zipping it? did it make it smaller?
setecio

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2007, 15:58    Post subject:  

I have a frugal install and would like to update, when updates come out, without having to burn a CD. I suppose this question is relevant for all versions of Puppy ..... is there a way of making the iso extract the 4 frugal files PUP_301.SFS ZDRV_301.SFS INITRD.GZ VMLINUZ so that I can just copy them to ny hda1 partition ? Thanks.
azieser

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2007, 16:23    Post subject: RE:  

klu9 wrote:
@gray
R3 out already... have you considered Xdelta patches, so people don't have to redownload the whole ISO to get the few updated parts: see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24238

@azieser
what is the benefit of zipping it? did it make it smaller?

I wanted the Checksum file to be included with the iso so people could verify that it has not been tampered with. That is the only reason otherwise I would have to post a torrent for that file as well.

For the moment I just wanted to make the ISO more available and it was not on Linux Tracker at the time. Linux tracker has a lot of people who browse its pages and it may bring more attention to this version of Puppy.
gray

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2007, 18:34    Post subject: xdelta ?  

klu9: I will look at xdelta - I didnt even know such a thing existed! It looks very interesting.

setecio: You could use the isoeditor to extract the files that you want from the iso. The only difference between 'revisions' of NOP 301 is the pup_301.sfs file.
setecio

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2007, 18:48    Post subject:  

Is there one built into NOP, or in PSI, or is this the best one to use ?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12271

EDIT : Yep I see it now in multimedia section. Smile
klu9

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 10:21    Post subject: Re: RE:  

azieser wrote:
I wanted the Checksum file to be included with the iso so people could verify that it has not been tampered with. That is the only reason otherwise I would have to post a torrent for that file as well.
Zipping then torrenting the ISO makes it difficult/impossible for people to seed the file if they got the ISO by other means, e.g. they downloaded it via HTTP from puppylinux.ca. With a torrent for an unzipped ISO, they could just start the torrent and point to their existing ISO, the torrent client would check it and then they would be sharing it with others, contributing to the file's distribution.

with BitTorrent you don't need to zip multiple files into one file to share them in the same torrent; just create a folder/directory with both the ISO and the MD5 in it, then create your torrent for that folder. When people download the torrent, they will get both files in the folder and no zipping or unzipping needed.

For an example, here's the Linuxtracker page for the torrent for puplet Fire Hydrant Featherweight 3.0b. If you scroll down you will see a row "Num Files" and looking at the list you see both the ISO and the MD5; 1 torrent for 2 files. No zipping/unzipping required and people who already have the ISO can become seeds (as long as they have the ISO in a folder with the same name and point their torrent client to it).

Another possibility: post the MD5 in the torrent description. I did that with NOP 301 r2: http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=5017

Quote:
For the moment I just wanted to make the ISO more available and it was not on Linux Tracker at the time. Linux tracker has a lot of people who browse its pages and it may bring more attention to this version of Puppy.
I definitely agree. I think every puplet should be posted there.
klu9

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2007, 11:37    Post subject:  

Download an xdelta patch to turn your NOP-r2.iso into NOP-r3.iso
http://www.easyshareonline.com/310678

it's only 7MB in size, instead of the 90MB to download a whole new iso.

EDIT: MD5
efad71eea7a2c22e6ef7dd52a4f1c841

more info on xdelta:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XdeltA
Henry

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2007, 13:34    Post subject:  

A small question (maybe not small but unimportant), Gray

I guess it's probably related to Xfce rather than Opera or Nop 3.01r3.
The Opera tray icon does not display properly, sometimes not at all (except a space), correctly, or partially in varying degrees. However it seems to work correctly if I just click on the space. Have you observed this? Changing the height of the panel does not affect it.

Here's a related item in the Xfce forum -
http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=3293.msg13772#msg13772

Henry
Scoticus

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2007, 10:28    Post subject: NOP 3.01 is here
Subject description: what is the /mnt/home equivalent

I have been attempting to add the OpenOffice.sfs but can't find /mnt/home. No doubt it is something too simple for my but could someone advise (at the risk of a horrible pun) where should I put Openoffice-2.3.0.sfs.

Many thanks
Henry

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2007, 11:42    Post subject: Decrease in free space
Subject description: Is e2fsck needed?

Gray,

I've been using NOP 3.01(now r3) since it was announced. It's the best puppy I've used and the only one I'm using. No problems but one concern I don't understand -

I use the live CD with HDD config file. If I start with say 270Mb in the free space monitor in the tray, this decreases by several Mb from time to time, up to maybe 25Mb in a day or so. Of course it will occasionally increase (as when I clear Opera cache, email, etc., but the trend is inexorably downward, and I cannot find why. If I reboot, hoping to "flush" something, there is usually no significant change.

Of course all my normal data files are kept outside the pup_save.2fs and they are not a factor as far as I know. Naturally I expect newly installed programs to decrease the free space - I'm not talking about that.

As you know, I'm no expert at this. Is this normal? Should I be running e2fsck? If so how? Thanks for any advice.

Henry
Page 6 of 10 [150 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: