Puppy Linux 2.16CE_home alpha 2 iso available for download

News, happenings
tronkel

Puppy Linux 2.16CE_home alpha 2 iso available for download

#1 Post by tronkel »

Get Puppy Linux 2.16CE_home alpha 2 here:
http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/tronkel

I have been thinking for some time about the future as regards integrating the desktop with the web. Seems to be the thing a the moment.

I had a go at making a web-based desktop last month. It looked OK, and was set up to use the Netsurf browser, but the final result seems a bit slow and clanky.

Last month Mozilla Labs introduced a Linux version of their trial product called "Prism" (a.k.a. Webrunner). This is a minimalist web browser based on the latest Gecko as used in the current Firefox 3.0Beta edition.

There appears to be varying opinions as to its efficacy, but I have the feeling that we are going to see a lot more of this product. It appears to defy logic, in that how can a minimalist Firefox possess a "cool" factor? - but in practice, I think it does. Therefore I have included the package here. (see attached screen shot). You can access the local machine file tree listing from a menu item called "Prism Local Machine". Lobster has already pointed out this feature in regard to Firefox 3.0Beta.

You can create direct desktop links to your favourite web-apps/services, that appear in your /root folder and can then be dragged from there to the desktop. There are no navigation buttons, but there is keyboard back and forwards navigation available. (ALT + arrow). Page-links navigation use ALT +tab

I have not come across Prism included before in any puplet, or indeed in any other live CD version of Linux. So this is a first, I think. See what you think.

This alpha 2 also has Midnight Commander with mouse support and Icewin, based on WhoDo's EZpup 3.0. WhoDo has told me that he has already got a pile of new themes ready for for EZpup.

I shall include these in the next version (probably called 2.16CE_Home Beta 2) as soon a they are available.

Screenshot attached here
Attachments
screenshot.2.16CE-Home.jpg
(165.07 KiB) Downloaded 1773 times
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

"Prism" (a.k.a. Webrunner).
Great stuff. Downloading Now . . .
Prism is also the codename for my largest Linux Tmxxine but to be honest a minimalist Firefox 3 Beta sounds ideal

At the moment I am in Seamonkey but the new Firefox is looking good. The Beta of Firefox stills seems to expand to use max memory and I find it occasionally crashes. Having said that I still prefer it to Opera BUT Opera is doing good stuff too . . .

Be very interested to try Prism

With these Alpha options Robert (Ecomoney has another potential base for Talking Stick) Barry has mentioned your efforts on his Blog.

Some order will begin to emerge soon and we will have a Dingo Beta
and a Community Edition Beta - plus all the specialized Puplets . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

new ideas - welcome!

#3 Post by raffy »

Great - keep the new ideas coming. :) Downloading now .. Happy Holidays!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

clarf

#4 Post by clarf »

Dear Tronkel, Are there any news abot Puppy Linux 2.16CE_home alpha 2?. What is coming for the alpha 3 release, are we close to a Beta state?....

Thank you tronkel, I hope you can continue with this CE quality project, before get envolved in Puppy 5 or sometime more demanding, please go on.