2.16CE Alpha - Bugs, Feedback, Suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
tronkel

2.16CE Alpha - Bugs, Feedback, Suggestions

#1 Post by tronkel »

Suggestions, contributions and feedback welcome. It's your Distro!
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

ttuuxxx

Re: 2.16CE Alpha - Bugs, Feedback, Suggestions

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

tronkel wrote:Suggestions, contributions and feedback welcome. It's your Distro!
Are you making a 2.16ce version?
If so, I was going to do that also, lol basically I was going to base it on 3.01 retro,
this is why.
- Slackware
- One Click .SFS mount/searches
- Newer software updates/versions
- Less Bugs
- Auto Internet Setup
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

ttuuxx wrote:
lol basically I was going to base it on 3.01 retro
I wanted to base the CE edition on 3.01retro also, for the very reasons you mentioned. I couldn't get a bootable live CD to run from the available combination of 3.01 Unleashed and pet-packages 2 or 3 though.

I was therefore forced into using 2.16.1 Unleashed plus pet-packages 2. This ran fine. I've made initrd.gz a cpio archive. So might at least be compatible with the 3 series puppies. I will try the INIT from Puppy 3.01Retro and see what happens.

Why not have a go yourself and see if you can get a 3.01Retro version up and running. Could be that my hardware here was not suitable for that.

pdrito

#4 Post by pdrito »

tronkel
ttuuxxx

I have mentioned in others replays:

For peoples that ONLY use multisession CD / DVD puppies:
In puppy 2.14 and puppy 2.15CE we can found zdrv_21x.sfs and pup_21x.sfs on our " / " directory of CD / DVD multisession..
So each time we want to add new software, in the form new.software_2.1x.sfs, we simple put this software on the " / " directory and reboot, saving on CD multisession.

I expect to found this great function on your 2.16CE Alpha edition , but is missing.

Please try to (retourn / add) this great function.

pdrito.

tronkel

#5 Post by tronkel »

Multisession - save *.sfs modules to / directory of CD
pdrito wrote:
I expect to found this great function on your 2.16CE Alpha edition , but is missing.
If I remember correctly, there were problems with Multisession in 2.16.
I think the script was broken.

I'll have to do some research on this and get back.

As a workaround in the meantime try burning the file separately to the CD / directory. Might be worth a try, can't guarantee though.

PaulBx1

#6 Post by PaulBx1 »

Never mind...

pdrito

#7 Post by pdrito »

tronkel,

wow... , so you reach the final version as Puppy Linux 2.16CE_Home "Evergren".... congrat. :D

but,
What ever happen with the problem on multisession CD/DVD, as point here?:
pdrito wrote:tronkel
ttuuxxx

I have mentioned in others replays:

For peoples that ONLY use multisession CD / DVD puppies:
In puppy 2.14 and puppy 2.15CE we can found zdrv_21x.sfs and pup_21x.sfs on our " / " directory of CD / DVD multisession..
So each time we want to add new software, in the form new.software_2.1x.sfs, we simple put this software on the " / " directory and reboot, saving on CD multisession.

Please try to (retourn / add) this great function.

pdrito.
Did you find an answer/solution ?
Did you ask to Barry K ?
Why on Puppy 2.15CE it works, and not work on Puppy2.16 / Puppy 2.16CE ?

mmmmm, let me guess... no solution. :cry:

tronkel

Solution to multisession prob

#8 Post by tronkel »

Hi Pdrito

Do you have any hard disk in your PC, or are you using multisession as your only method of saving data? I haven't had much chance to play with multisession in the last few months, but I'll try to get this problem fixed.

Does the software from the sfs module install on say one of the saved sessions and seems to disappear on subsequent saves perhaps?

Barry has always described multisession as a "work in progress" (i.e. the script is always being revised on a continuous basis). Something could have broken the script somewhere between 2.15CE and 2.16. There were also library changes between these 2 versions as well.

As I remember in 2.17, I had a play with multisession and it seemed to retain sfs module software as long as the sfs module was saved to the root of the CD, but I think the software was only visible on particular sessions. It was necessary to ignore certain saved sessions in order to get the sfs module to function after new sessions had been added.

I#m going to have to experiment with this and see how it goes. What is your hardware setup?

In the meatime between 2.15CE and now, there have been major changes to multisession. I haven't closely followed these changes, so it's hard for me to tell where it has got to at the moment.

I'll have a try with 2.16CE and say an OpenOffice sfs file and see what happens on my system here. It would be nice to get this properly fixed if possible.