Subito Piano

ChurchPup

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

ChurchPup Forum
ChurchPup RC1 is up and ready for testing! Check it out at:
Home page: www.churchpup.com
Package List and notes
Screenshots
This is a full-featured Puppy derivative aimed primarily at Christians but open to all. ChurchPup focuses on Bible study, office applications, internet, and email, but also includes applications for multimedia presentations, audio and video editing, and musical notation. A "lite" version is planned as well.
Do download it and take for a spin -- then post your comments here!
Thanks to LOF for initiating this and PrairieDog for making it a reality.

KF6SNJ

#2 Post by KF6SNJ »

gxbible is giving me some rather odd behavior upon boot up. It seems every time I boot up the computer currently, I get a bible verse related to the liturgical season of advent. While I confess that it is advent, this is a little strange, though not unpleasant. Just seems a bit weird. Personally, I like it.

Subito Piano

#3 Post by Subito Piano »

Hmm..maybe the creators of gxbible have tied it into the church calendar. If so, it will be interesting to see if they managed to tie in verses for Eastertime, since each year's date for Easter varies from the Gregorian calendar we use!

PrairieDog

#4 Post by PrairieDog »

KF6SNJ wrote:gxbible is giving me some rather odd behavior upon boot up. It seems every time I boot up the computer currently, I get a bible verse related to the liturgical season of advent. While I confess that it is advent, this is a little strange, though not unpleasant. Just seems a bit weird. Personally, I like it.

Speaking as the "creator" of GXBible I have no explanation for any such seemingly intelligent behavior! It's a miracle it even works, so maybe this is just another miracle that it behaves as you describe. I'm curious though KF6SNJ, Does it seem to be stuck in a loop or something?

Now that Subito mentions it I could make an update for Passion week.....

Subito Piano

#5 Post by Subito Piano »

That's YOU that created it, PrairieDog?!?!? Cool!

You icon is KILLING me!! Image Luvit!

KF6SNJ

#6 Post by KF6SNJ »

PrairieDog wrote:
Speaking as the "creator" of GXBible I have no explanation for any such seemingly intelligent behavior! It's a miracle it even works, so maybe this is just another miracle that it behaves as you describe. I'm curious though KF6SNJ, Does it seem to be stuck in a loop or something?

Now that Subito mentions it I could make an update for Passion week.....

So far I wouldn't call it a loop. I have yet to see any verses repeat themselves. It is just somehow managing to hit the Old Testament, Epistle, Gospel, and Psalms for advent. Really odd, but pretty cool.

cafluegg

Problems downloading churchpup

#7 Post by cafluegg »

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems downloading the ISO for churchpup RC1? I've been following the development of this puppy derivative with great interest, being very desirous to install it on my laptop.

I currently run Ubuntu CE on my desktop, and I love it. However, UCE runs too slow for me on my Sony Vaio laptop. For this reason, I would love to convert my UCE laptop over to churchpup. However, I can't seem to download the ISO.

I've tried downloading the ISO from three different computers, to no avail. I tried downloading it with my dad's XP desktop, my UCE laptop and a XP64bit machine at work. At first I thought that it was my internet connection, which is why I tried downloading it on a machine at work. I can never seem to get it to download more than a hundred megabytes before the download quits.

Any thoughts?

PrairieDog

Re: Problems downloading churchpup

#8 Post by PrairieDog »

cafluegg wrote:I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems downloading the ISO
Hi cafluegg, as a matter of fact, Caneri From pupplinux.ca PMed me the other day with the same problem. Oddly enough I was able to download it a short while later.Our brother Subito Piano is running the download site and I know he's monitoring this thread. Meanwhile I'll drop you an email with ftp instructions to my site, and you can give that a try. How'd that be?

Thanks, Mark

Caneri

#9 Post by Caneri »

Hi PrairieDog,

I don't know if this is something..but MU has had problems with Firefox for downloading from his server.

He recommends using wget with the "-c" to get iso's

the command is wget -c http://www.elmirachristianacademy.com/C ... up_RC1.iso

I hope this helps and the link works ok.

To copy and paste into rxvt or the console just copy the link to a Leafpad....highlight the link and leave it highlighted then open rxvt and type wget -c (with a space after the -c) then hit shift/insert at the same time..then enter... and the download should start with error correction and resume.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

PrairieDog

#10 Post by PrairieDog »

Caneri wrote:He recommends using wget with the "-c" to get iso's
Thanks Eric, I never thought of that!

KF6SNJ

#11 Post by KF6SNJ »

That is what I do every time I download an ISO. I do this so that if something goes wrong and I lose my connection, wget can pick up where it left off. Really nice.

Oh, if anyone is interested, I got an "A" on my Introduction to Old Testament class.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

cafluegg

downloading right now

#12 Post by cafluegg »

Thanks prairiedog! I'm downloading the ISO right now as I type this reply. I won't be able to do anything with it until Tuesday, however.

I will be sure to report back how it all goes... :)

PrairieDog

#13 Post by PrairieDog »

KF6SNJ wrote: I got an "A" on my Introduction to Old Testament class.
Well Done Brother! 2 Timothy 2:15 in action!

cafluegg

Success

#14 Post by cafluegg »

Well, I was finally able to get churchpup installed! I had to install it a couple of times before it finally worked, but I'm chalking that up to inexperience.

e-Sword, on the other hand, is a different story. I had to follow the same tutorial that I followed to install it onto my UCE machine in order for it to install correctly. Everything works; however, I have to open it up through the terminal every time I want to use it. I have to type in the following command within the wine folder to run e-Sword: env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_Esword wine e-sword.exe

Any idea why I can't just click on the e-sword.exe file?

If I can figure this out, I will be a happy happy man... not that I'm not already happy... :-)

By the way, I love what you all are doing. This is a perfect alternative to the bloated UCE. UCE runs fine on my P4 3.2ghz machine, but it just drags on my 1.66 ghz 512mb sony vaio laptop. Churchpup has given my laptop a second wind.

Thanks guys!

KF6SNJ

#15 Post by KF6SNJ »

cafluegg,

Why not simply use BibleDesktop, which comes with ChurchPup? It uses all the same modules that e-sword does, and it doesn't need wine to work.

cafluegg

e-Sword vs BibleDesktop

#16 Post by cafluegg »

I've used both e-Sword and BibleDesktop extensively; in my honest, albeit biased - I say biased opinion, because I've used e-Sword almost since it's inception - opinion, e-Sword cannot be beat. I've tried using gnomesword, bibletime and other various Bible programs, but I have yet to come across a viable, linux equivalent to e-Sword.

e-Sword is not affiliated with the sword project... that I'm aware of. How can they both use the same modules?

The bottom line is continuity. I began using e-Sword while I was still a MS user, I successfully installed it on my UCE machine and now I am doing the same with churchpup. I have successfully installed it. However, I am only able to open it up from the command line. This method gets the job done, but it is rather cumbersome.

Great results on your Old Testament class! :-)

edoc

#17 Post by edoc »

KF6SNJ wrote: Oh, if anyone is interested, I got an "A" on my Introduction to Old Testament class.
Of course we are interested ... no Bible-slackers on this
Forum! ;-)

Seriously, having studied the OT at the master's level and
taught it at the bachelor's level, I appreciate the effort it
takes to earn an "A"!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

cafluegg

Success....

#18 Post by cafluegg »

First of all, I'd like to thank prairiedog for all of his efforts. He was a great source of help in helping me get everything setup properly on my system.

Secondly, I'd like to say that I finally figured out how to start e-Sword without using the terminal. After installation, wine deposited a e-Sword.desktop file in the /root/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs folder. It had then placed a shortcut in my root folder to the "Programs" folder. I simply copied e-Sword.desktop to my desktop and changed the icon to an e-Sword icon.

I'm a very happy man right now. :-)

Thanks again for a great puppy derivative! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

ricstef

ChurchPup

#19 Post by ricstef »

@KF6SNJ
Congratulations ! 8)

@Caneri,
A slight variation on your instructions for using wget to download ChurchPup might be:

- highlight the (whole) next line,

wget -c http://www.elmirachristianacademy.com/C ... up_RC1.iso

- RIGHT click and select COPY
- click on CONSOLE (on your desktop)
- in the console window CENTER click (this is the PASTE function)
- hit ENTER to execute.

NOTE: This would download to your /root folder by default, so you may want to CD to
/mnt/home/ and create a folder to keep your downloads in, before you execute the wget.

HTH.
Richard.

edoc

Re: ChurchPup

#20 Post by edoc »

ricstef wrote: NOTE: This would download to your /root folder by default, so you may want to CD to
/mnt/home/ and create a folder to keep your downloads in, before you execute the wget.
To clarify my understanding, and that of others who will read this down the road ...

Does your wget command download to "whatever folder is open"?

So, if one CD's (changes directory) to /mnt/home/ then MD's (make directory)
"my-downloads" then one CD's again, this time one more level down to "my-downloads"
that your wget command would automatically drop whatever it downloads into the
currently open directory /mnt/home/my-downloads?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603