Pmetatagger-2.1 - a gtkdialog audio meta tagger

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

#21 Post by plinej »

Thanks, I'll take a look at those projects soon.

plinej

#22 Post by plinej »

Those m4a files that I tried to tag with id3tag and won't play in mplayer anymore, can't even be decoded by ffmpeg or faad2. Oh well, just test files. I did just compile AtomicParsley & Apetag so I'm going to see how well those programs work and then incorporate them into pmetatagger if they work.

plinej

#23 Post by plinej »

I just added ape support via apetag. It's supposed to work with mpc files too so I'm going to try them as well. I'll have to modify the gui a bit to support m4a/mp4 files via AtomicParsley since itunes uses a lot of tagging fields. It'll probably be tabbed when m4a/mp4 filetypes are selected. When I finish that up, I'll add the features to Pcdripper too.

plinej

#24 Post by plinej »

0.6 is now up.

This adds support for m4a, mp4, mpc, mpp, & ape file formats.

You'll need "apetag" in your $PATH for ape, mpc, & mpp.
You'll need "AtomicParsley" in your $PATH for m4a & mp4.

I'll attach the binaries I'm using, just unpack and put them in your $PATH.
Attachments
apetag.tar.gz
(27.18 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
AtomicParsley.tar.gz
(60.75 KiB) Downloaded 797 times

plinej

#25 Post by plinej »

I just added an option to dump the existing tags via a button click. This will save all the tag information to the directory where your file is. The file will be "Your-audio-file".ptag. This file is a just a basic text file that can be opened read & edited if need be. You can then use that ptag file to tag a new file from within pmetatagger. I'll work out a command line option to use a ptag file on a specific audio file which will bypass the gui. This will be especially useful in an audio conversion program to dump the existing tag and re-use it for the newly encoded file.

Now to restructure the program so it dumps the tags before the gui starts. Should've done that to begin with but I didn't think of the importance until now. This way you can view & dump the tags in a standard and useable way from the command line.

plinej

#26 Post by plinej »

0.7 is now posted.

This has a bugfix, loading a single file from within the gui was broken, now fixed. I also added the dump tag information as noted above, and incorporated some new command line only techniques to dump the tag and use it on a different file. For more info enter at the cli:

# pmetatagger --help

One of these days I'll start work on a new pawdioconverter that will save tags by using the pmetatagger command line switches.

plinej

#27 Post by plinej »

0.8 is now up.

Nothing new, just cleaned up some code and fixed a bug.

plinej

#28 Post by plinej »

I read that wavpack (.wv) & optimfrog (.ofr) files accept APEv2 tags so I'll experiment with that and add the filetypes to the gui if successful. I need to find a .wma tag editor. Currently in pcdripper I'm using ffmpeg as the encoder for that format and even though ffmpeg supposedly accepts:

-year
-title
-author
-copyright
-comment
-album
-track

It seems that mplayer only notices title and author for ffmpeg encoded wma's. I don't see a way to use ffmpeg to view/edit tags though.

plinej

#29 Post by plinej »

0.9 is now up.

This adds optimfrog (.ofr) & wavpack (.wv) lossless audio formats. You'll need apetag installed for them to work.

plinej

#30 Post by plinej »

0.9.1 is up

I was reading the Atomic Parsley web page and noticed there was also support for m4b, m4p, & m4v files so I added them to the gui as well.

plinej

#31 Post by plinej »

apetag seems to work fine with shorten (.shn) format as well. I'll experiment with some other file types to see what else works.

It appears that id3 version 1 tags work with shorten and ape as well. id3 version 2 tags corrupt the files though.

It's too bad these programs can't read the other's tag. This will make it harder because I could be using apetag to read a tag when id3tag was used to create it (or vice versa). I may have to try to read a tag with id3info first and if no results try the other program.

I'm assuming maybe id3v1 tags via id3tag may be writable to many more file formats. I'll try it on other formats like wma. Looks like some more restructuring to my code needs to be done.

It appears that flac files accept apetag & id3tags w/o overwriting metaflac's tags. The track is still playable in mplayer but now it can't be decoded. Looks like I'll need to check that with the other formats too.

plinej

#32 Post by plinej »

It seems that version 1 tags can be written to every file format I tried. Version 2 tags seem to corrupt everything except mp3. Flac files were corrupted with apetag, id3tag, & mp3info. I think I'll make the program so the user can choose which program to tag their files with.

plinej

#33 Post by plinej »

1.0 is now up

I added a help file, and restructured the code quite a bit this time.

plinej

#34 Post by plinej »

updated to 1.1

A small bugfix. I noticed when a mp4/m4a (itunes type audio) file was selected and AtomicParsley was not installed it still showed up in the taggers to be selected. Now it won't.

disciple

#35 Post by disciple »

When I select a file it just says all the operations are finished or something like that, instead of showing me the tagging window. It doesn't say anything helpful in the terminal.
    The problem could be that I have a very old puppy, and I have easytag anyway, so I don't actually need it to work, but is there any way to debug?

plinej

#36 Post by plinej »

Do you have either id3info, mp3info, or apetag in your $PATH? Otherwise I'm not quite sure why it would do that. What happens if you do this from the command line:

# pmetatagger /path/to/audio/file -dumptag

plinej

#37 Post by plinej »

Disregard that. Thanks for the feedback, I see I did somehow break the individual file loading. It seems to work okay when loading a directory or choosing to open a file with pmetatagger in a file manager but loading a single file from the gui is broken. I'll post a new version soon.

plinej

#38 Post by plinej »

1.2 is now posted.

This fixes 2 bugs. The bug reported by disciple should be resolved and also a bug that caused the gui not to start sometimes due to a temp file not being written properly.

disciple

#39 Post by disciple »

Do you think it would be possible for it to edit exif data in photos with jhead?

plinej

#40 Post by plinej »

It should be fairly simple to create a gui to do that. I don't know if I'd add it to the code of pmetatagger though. I've never used jhead before but I'll take a look at it and see if I can throw a little gui together for it.