xplns: Celestial simulation app.

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

xplns: Celestial simulation app.

#1 Post by muggins »

http://www.astroarts.com/products/xplns/

Following on from this thread here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23447

I thought I'd make a .pet of the rpm. To run this application, enter xplns on the commandline, or via Menu->Utility->Xplns

N.B. I've repackaged Beem's libXp.so.6 .tar.gz, (from below), as a .pet, to provide this required library.
Attachments
libXp.so.6-i486.pet
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 1341 times
const.gif
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 2600 times
Last edited by muggins on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 22:20, edited 3 times in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Woops,

I uploaded this in haste, without doing the control-alt-backspace, then xwin check, to see that it did actually install a menu item. And the version I uploaded this morning didn't. So I've re-uploaded.

There were 3 downloads of the version this morning. So if you want a menu entry, just re-install this.

papos

#3 Post by papos »

I have this warning with # xplns
I use puppy 3.01

Warning:
Name: FONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG_STRING
Class: XmRendition
Conversion failed. Cannot load font.

any idea of the font I need?
best regard

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

Funny when I click on the link I get a funny result.
Stupid Konqueror
Wish I had my SeaMonkey back.
Attachments
xplns.png
(54.93 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

@Beem:

I've never used Konquerer, so I'm not sure how the downloader works, but that image you're showing looks like it's the archive. I wonder if you try saving this to your hard disk, whether it will be 931kbytes in size. It probably won't save it as xplns-3.3.1-i486.pet, but something like viewtopic.xxx. I've encountered this before with some browser, (can't recall which), and just renamed the viewtopic.xxx and, presto, there was my .pet.

@papos:

I'm not sure what's going on here. Is this error being generated when you try & use xplns via the menu, or if you run from commandline? If it's from the menu, it would be worthwhile opening a console, & entering xplns & seeing what errors are generated.

I just downloaded the xplns .pet, & installed it in a pup v3.0, and it ran without any complaints. And I imagine there wouldn't be any significant library, or font, differences between v3.0 & v3.1.

I ran ldd /usr/local/bin/xplns , (after uncompressing the upx'ed binary), and it gave this output:

Code: Select all

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7f44000)
	libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb7ef5000)
	libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb7eed000)
	libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7ed5000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7ec6000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7dde000)
	libXp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXp.so.6 (0xb7dd7000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7dc0000)
	libXmu.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0xb7dab000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7c69000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f6c000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7c65000)
	libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xb7c63000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb7c4c000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c48000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7c43000)
You might check whether these library files are on your puppy. Maybe the required library files are there, but it's just a missing symlink?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

I just started with KDE 3.5.8 on dingo so I don't have much experience with Konqueror either.
SeaMonkey 1.1.8 was installed to test and didn't run, but then the already installed SeaMonkey didn't work either.
After uninstalling 1.1.8 the 1.1.6 did work again and I could download xplns and install it.

It didn't run(see picture)

So I loaded the 301 sfs and found the missing lib.
Then xplns did run.
I upload the lib for those having the same problem.
Attachments
xplns1.png
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 2390 times
libxp.so.6.tar.gz
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
Time savers:

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Beem,

Perhaps I can help? I just remembered that the first time I ran Mark's KDE when I went to use Konqueror it refused to open links too. It wanted to open some links in text files, programmes it wanted to open directly into the window rather than downloading.

The way I resolved it was to go into the KDE Control Centre and under where you set "File Associations" (sorry, I'm in Gnome presently so can't recall exactly where in the menu that is) I had to take "html" and associate it with Konqueror instead of "leafpad/geany" (of all things!) and for downloads I believe it was a right-click, "Save file as..." type work-a-round.

Why do you not have SeaMonkey 1.1.8 in Dingo? I placed it in there and had no problems. I deleted the seamonkey link first, and then the Seamonkey directory, got the binary from Mozilla.org and opened it (renaming the directory to "seaMonkey-1.1.8") and just moved it to "/usr/libs" after which I remade the link to "seamonkey" again. Seems so by doing it that way I didn't even have to change any files in "usr/local/bin" except for "defaultemail" as I don't like Sylpheed myself.

I hope this helped in both case mon ami?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Béèm

#8 Post by Béèm »

Eyes-Only,

I had a look at the settings or tools (can't remember) in Konqueror and saw that there was something to configure for file associations, but I didn't see exactly what to change.
Now with your tip (merci beaucoup) I'll have a closer look.

But I have arranged that SeaMonkey works again, which is my prefered browser.

Fait-il froid dans votre coin?
Time savers:

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Nice program..

works ok in 2.12 and 2.02

thanks

mike

Eyes-Only

#10 Post by Eyes-Only »

Salut Mon Cher Ami Beem! ;)

I'm glad that you got your SeaMonkey to working properly. Bien fait! :D Sorry to have taken a bit to get back to you but I was both ill this weekend and very busy with "mon pet't bonhomme" (what I call my 6 year old grandson ;) In Akadien it means "My Little Buddy" hehe!) as he spent the weekend with us as well. Really made my weekend much better for me!

You asked if it had been cold here? This weekend, yes. One night around -17c and not much warmer than that during the daytime Saturday. Sunday? Opposite at around +5c. Same for today with a lot of rain. I sit here after midnight with the window opened.

Maine weather has become crazy, like anywhere else I guess, since global warming. -sigh-

Again, glad you got your SeaMonkey going! I've been working getting Fluxbox going in 3.0.1, reworking a theme in Fluxbox... setting up Fluxbox on my Mint and Mepis installs, and just finished setting up IceWM on my Mint install. Fun! :) I'm running out of window managers... LOL!

Amicalement mon vieux!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

r__hughes

#11 Post by r__hughes »

nice program muggins - thanks for making it available as a pet.

I downloaded xplns-3.3.1-i486.pet into my pup301 earlier today & am still playing with the various projections :)

This certainly beats hanging around outside in a wind-chill factor of -18C waiting for the lunar eclipse to start - I shall nip outside in an hour's time & know exactly where to look :)
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

Fossil

#12 Post by Fossil »

Sadly, after a week of clear frosty skies, tonight just had to cloud over. No lunar eclipse for me! :cry:
If anyone is into the sky watching theme and just happens to like observing and tracking satellites as well (they do make a pleasant distraction - the updated ISS is a must see), try Mtrack, which runs a treat under Puppy.
http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/Mtrack.html

tqwe

xplns

#13 Post by tqwe »

thank you muggins, looking at nite sky,sore neck,working great on puppy2.14 and 3.01 :lol:

Jaybekay

#14 Post by Jaybekay »

It works on Dingo too. It was only missing libXp.so.6 so I extracted it to /usr/lib and it fired right up. It's no stellarium, but pretty nice for 1MB!

Thanks muggins and Beem

muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

You might want to try coords as well. It's 4Mbytes, but I think, from memory, it only has xlib library dependencies.

Jaybekay

#16 Post by Jaybekay »

Thanks, I'll give that a try too. Probably will be ok on my desktop machine, but I wonder how well it will run on my eeepc

abushcrafter

#17 Post by abushcrafter »

thanks