Pup214R v1.00 - Puppy Linux 2.14 Revisited, is now available

News, happenings
Dougal

#81 Post by Dougal »

HairyWill wrote: Whilst I was in .jwmrc-tray I noticed that the panel button declaration had got messed up. This was because I had used the jwm configurator to edit the buttons. I hadn't actually changed anything but I don't think the editor can cope with the comments round the TrayButtons. (this need fixing in puppy trunk as well)
I haven't looked much at that part of jwm-config -- will have a look and see if I can fix it.
Also man rxvt got me a 404
I don't like the idea of having links to webpages... I actually have added many man pages to 214R, so I'll just add the one for rxvt.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Dougal

#82 Post by Dougal »

HairyWill wrote:Whilst I was in .jwmrc-tray I noticed that the panel button declaration had got messed up. This was because I had used the jwm configurator to edit the buttons. I hadn't actually changed anything but I don't think the editor can cope with the comments round the TrayButtons.
I tried it and all I could see is that it removed blank lines (which we don't care about). If you want to keep the blank lines, just add a tab or two into each.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

gerry

#83 Post by gerry »

Two problems with 214R.

Is it possible to use a non-listed printer driver with XPDQ? It isn't obvious how to insert a non-listed driver..

I downloaded the unrpm_undeb pup, but it won't unzip. I get a message window that says:

MD5SUM error:undeb.pup
Package may be corrupted
Not enough space to unzip?

There's loads of empty ram, I've tried the download several times, and this pup is alive and well on my 3.01 Puppy. What's wrong?

Gerry

HairyWill

#84 Post by HairyWill »

Dougal wrote:I tried it and all I could see is that it removed blank lines (which we don't care about). If you want to keep the blank lines, just add a tab or two into each.
Apologies I should have been clearer in my report. Scenario:
I am a naive user, I click
Menu - Desktop - JWM Configuration - OK - Panel Buttons - (the edit button is checked) - OK
I just wanted to see what it did. There are XML comments in some of the fields. I don't want to break anything so I don't change any of the text and just keep clicking the OK buttons. I should be alright because I didn't change anything. The problem is the configurator tries to write back the xml comments into the file. Somewhere in the conversion from xml -> gtkdialog -> xml it gets screwed up.

There is no Cancel, if I try and be a bit clever I use the window manager decoration to close the window but that doesn't help.

here's the start of the resulting .jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<JWM>
        <Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="0" height="26" >
                <!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
                <TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="<!-- BK showdesktop incompatible with rox 2.5... -->" icon=""><!-- BK showdesktop incompatible with rox 2.5... --></TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="<!-- Dougal: fixed by selecting" icon=""><!-- in Rox --></TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Show desktop" icon="showdesk16.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="<!-- Open terminal" icon="mini-sh.xpm"><!-- exec:rxvt --></TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="<!-- Open text editor" icon="mini-edit.xpm"><!-- exec:defaulttexteditor --></TrayButton>
        <!--    <TrayButton popup="Open text editor" icon="mini-edit.xpm">exec:defaulttexteditor</TrayButton> -->
                <!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
                <Pager/>
I think the problem is caused because ....jwmconfig/panel-buttons assumes that every line after the menu button declaration is a valid panel button until it hits the pager declaration. A good example of why editing xml without a proper parser is dangerous! I'm not pointing the finger, I would do the some thing for simplicity.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

SantaClause

#85 Post by SantaClause »

i would like to say, this puppy 2.14R is a great idea. i would like to see this continue.

i will be trying this version as soon as i get access to a cd-rw drive (about 2-3 days).

i am curious how well does this version do a "full install" now? i ask because i like puppy so much, i tend to do a full install as it is about twice as fast on this pc as running the livecd.

also, is there .pet support? .pup? anything that needs to be known by someone used to 3.0* or even 2.16+?

also, there needs to be an updated iso for all the fixes that have happened so far.

one other thing, for future reference, is there a way to "update" each new version of 2.14R from a full install? i ask because if someone does a full install, and you release a new version and they want to upgrade... is there a thing in place to do this? is it planned?

muggins

#86 Post by muggins »

Hi santa,

sorry, but I can't answer your specifics, as I haven't tried as yet, but I'm sure that, like most pupversions 83.6666666% of .pets will work with it easily. How did I arrive at 83.6666666? Just made it up for xmas!

Dougal

#87 Post by Dougal »

gerry wrote:Is it possible to use a non-listed printer driver with XPDQ? It isn't obvious how to insert a non-listed driver..
We haven't done anything to pdq, so it should work like with the normal Puppies from that time -- you should search the forum.
I downloaded the unrpm_undeb pup, but it won't unzip. I get a message window that says:

MD5SUM error:undeb.pup
Package may be corrupted
Not enough space to unzip?
But the same dotpup works for you in a newer Puppy? Strange... maybe something has changed in the dotpup handler.

What do you need undeb and unrpm for, anyway? Is it for MUs PSI? I think there might be already some unrpm Busybox extension and, besides, any .deb or .rpm you click on should open up in Xarchiver.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#88 Post by Dougal »

HairyWill wrote:I think the problem is caused because ....jwmconfig/panel-buttons assumes that every line after the menu button declaration is a valid panel button until it hits the pager declaration. A good example of why editing xml without a proper parser is dangerous! I'm not pointing the finger, I would do the some thing for simplicity.
Ahh, now I understand. That entire script is a little sketchy... I added some "exits" to it a while ago, since I also noticed the lack of cancel options... I guess it needs a bit of going over.
Strange that it actually adds everything as buttons...
You don't necessarily need to use a proper parser (though it's obviously better -- that's why I didn't write that script myself in Bash, but asked Jason if PuppyBasic might be better for it...).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#89 Post by Dougal »

SantaClause wrote:i am curious how well does this version do a "full install" now?
I posted on this thread an updated installer that should get the full install fixed.
also, is there .pet support? .pup? anything that needs to be known by someone used to 3.0* or even 2.16+?
Yes.
also, there needs to be an updated iso for all the fixes that have happened so far.
Pakt has set the date for the first update to the 15th.
one other thing, for future reference, is there a way to "update" each new version of 2.14R from a full install?
We will have "service packs" that can be used instead to apply the changes.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

wingruntled

#90 Post by wingruntled »

Before I backstep? to 2.14R. Does it have win-modem support like 2.17 & 3.01 does. :?:

pdrito

#91 Post by pdrito »

Dougal wrote:
pdrito wrote:I try Puppy Linux 2.14 Revisited on a Live CD, multisession.

First boot, all went OK. Nice load, and set-up of network and xorg went Ok , withouth problem.

Then save all the stuf to CD, All process OK.

Second boot.
Start normal till reach this point:

Coping /pup_214R.sfs to tmpfs ....mounting on (/initrd)/pup_ro2....done

Mounting 20017-12-01-16-41 on /pup_rw .... failed
That must be a problem with the multisession code... I modified it but it never got tested. I'll have a look into it.

Hi Dougal,

This is just to remember you to not forget this multisession issue. :)

Do you have and idea for when will release v2 of 2.14R (or another update name) ? I am a little anxius to use this distro :wink:

pdrito.

SantaClause

#92 Post by SantaClause »

i am curious how well does this version do a "full install" now?
I posted on this thread an updated installer that should get the full install fixed.
Yes.
Pakt has set the date for the first update to the 15th.
one other thing, for future reference, is there a way to "update" each new version of 2.14R from a full install?
We will have "service packs" that can be used instead to apply the changes.
sweet. Around the 15th is about the time i will be able to test out this version so that works out perfect. as for "service packs", excellent idea. i assume these "service packs" will be a .pet with all packages that need updating within it with a script to install each so that the package manager will notice the updates?

cant wait to try it :)

rerwin

Toshiba fix enhancement

#93 Post by rerwin »

dougal, thanks for including the "dubious Toshiba HW" fix. However, one of the models that uses the MagicGraph video adapter has a screen size of 800x600, but does not indicate that in its ddcprobe output. (The larger-screen models appear to also support 800x600 but omit the "timing:" statement.)

In one of my early versions of the fix I added a line to append a "timing: 800x600..." statement to the ddcprobe.txt file, but only if one was not already present. That was because the Trident adapters do include that line, so no need to duplicate it.
Richard

Dougal

#94 Post by Dougal »

wingruntled wrote:Before I backstep? to 2.14R. Does it have win-modem support like 2.17 & 3.01 does. :?:
I'm afraid not...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#95 Post by Dougal »

pdrito wrote:This is just to remember you to not forget this multisession issue. :)
I haven't forgotten, I thought you did...

It would help me if you could get me some more information:
- try booting with "pfix=debug" and see what kind of messages you get before it stops.
- maybe try mounting that cd and see what's on it -- maybe the saved foler has a bad name.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

Re: Toshiba fix enhancement

#96 Post by Dougal »

rerwin wrote:In one of my early versions of the fix I added a line to append a "timing: 800x600..." statement to the ddcprobe.txt file, but only if one was not already present. That was because the Trident adapters do include that line, so no need to duplicate it.
Ok, I'll add that.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#97 Post by Dougal »

I've got here a couple of little updates people might want to test.

- I've updated jwmconfig so it (hopefully) works ok with adding/removing etc. panel buttons. I've also added to it a dialog for modifying the clock format (but I need feedback on the offered formats -- any more suggestions?).

- I've updated the grubconfig script and the installer, so hopefully it would work ok with a frugal install (when grub isn't previously installed).
Attachments
Pup214R-jwmconfig-Dec-9th.pet
(13.45 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Pup214R-installer-Dec-9th.pet
(32.42 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

pdrito

multisession issue

#98 Post by pdrito »

Hi Dougal,

I load Pup214R v1.00 with pfix=debug command.
The following message come:
"Could not find kernel image for pfix=debug"

After that, the normal installations messages comes,
and the installations stop after the message.

mounting 2007-12-10-01-13 on /pup_rw ......... failed

------------------------------
Mounting the CD we can see all the normal files and directorie:
boot.cat
boot.msg
f2
initrd.gz
isolinux.bin
isolinux.config
pup_214.sfs
zdrv_214.sfs
vmlinuz
2007-12-10-01-13 [directory]
inside directory:
sub-directories: dev-etc-lib-root-usr

The only strange thing is on this usr sub-directory:
inside usr I found the file X11R7/bin/X , this X is a red colour filename of a yellow triangle icon with an " ¡ " on it. (meaning missing item ?).

Ok , that was I found till now.

pdrito.

Dougal

Re: multisession issue

#99 Post by Dougal »

pdrito wrote:I load Pup214R v1.00 with pfix=debug command.
The following message come:
"Could not find kernel image for pfix=debug"
That's odd. I wonder what it means...
The only strange thing is on this usr sub-directory:
inside usr I found the file X11R7/bin/X , this X is a red colour filename of a yellow triangle icon with an " ¡ " on it. (meaning missing item ?).
That's fine: it's the link created to Xorg when the xorgwizard was run.

I'll look at the init script and see what I can find.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

Re: Toshiba fix enhancement

#100 Post by Dougal »

rerwin wrote:In one of my early versions of the fix I added a line to append a "timing: 800x600..." statement to the ddcprobe.txt file, but only if one was not already present. That was because the Trident adapters do include that line, so no need to duplicate it.
Richard
I think that is actually wrong.
The "timing" lines list the modes supported by the screen and in the case of laptops it usually will be only the one, native, mode.
The part of ddcprobe output related to your adapter is the first part of ddcprobe output (that's why when you get only half the output and "edidfail" it means that it couldn't get to your screen).
What I did is make sure that Xmodes (which is normally created by Xvesa -listmodes) has got the 800x600 and 1024x768 modes, thus the user will be offered them, being told "ok with card, maybe NOT ok with screen".
Some say your nose
Some say your toes