Since you guys like Vista themes so much

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Albi

Since you guys like Vista themes so much

#1 Post by Albi »

I fixed the taskbar for my VistaBlack theme and called it a new name :)
http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Tr ... tent=71347

Feedback appreciated

WhoDo

Re: Since you guys like Vista themes so much

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Albi wrote:I fixed the taskbar for my VistaBlack theme and called it a new name :)

Feedback appreciated
Looks good, Albi. I'll give it a run and see what I think over time. I believe IceWM now supports transparency on the taskbar, which should mean you can create a taskbar with a transparent 2-3 pixel upper border that will allow the FULL Vista logo on the start button. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, myself.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

whodoo wouldn't you only want the menu button to be transparent?

or does the transparent part not affect clicking on that region of the screen anyway only a few pixels lost...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Albi

#4 Post by Albi »

WhoDo wrote:
Albi wrote:I fixed the taskbar for my VistaBlack theme and called it a new name :)

Feedback appreciated
Looks good, Albi. I'll give it a run and see what I think over time. I believe IceWM now supports transparency on the taskbar, which should mean you can create a taskbar with a transparent 2-3 pixel upper border that will allow the FULL Vista logo on the start button. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, myself.

Cheers
I just tried this, but it turns pink or black where it's supposed to be transparent. I think transparency only works in the window border, but if you can show me a proof-of-concept of it working in the taskbar i'll try to emulate it.

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:whodoo wouldn't you only want the menu button to be transparent?

or does the transparent part not affect clicking on that region of the screen anyway only a few pixels lost...
The menu button is usually the same height as the taskbar. If you are going to have a 2-3 pixel transparent top border on the button, without changing the taskbar or application buttons in the same way, you would get a step up between the menu button and the rest of the taskbar.

The few transparent pixels would remain part of the taskbar, so you would lose 2-3 pixels of any clickable icon that was "behind" that transparent border.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Albi wrote:I just tried this, but it turns pink or black where it's supposed to be transparent. I think transparency only works in the window border, but if you can show me a proof-of-concept of it working in the taskbar i'll try to emulate it.
There are a couple of issues here:

1. What version of IceWM are you using?

2. Has your version been compiled with imlib?

3. Have you set ROX as the root window for your desktop?

Any of these could cause problems with transparency. Note this from the IceWM FAQ
7.3 What image formats can I use with IceWM?

If IceWM is compiled with the standard xpm libraries, then it can only employ xpm images (as backgrounds, etc.). If, however, IceWM is compiled with "imlib" support, it can display all common image formats including jpeg, gif, png, and tiff.
As for a "proof-of-concept", as I said I haven't tried it yet. It was just offered as a suggestion for your information.

Hope that helps.

Albi

#7 Post by Albi »

WhoDo wrote: 1. What version of IceWM are you using?
icewm 1.2.33-1
2. Has your version been compiled with imlib?
Don't know how to find this out. However, from reading further down; I AM able to use png images in the theme, but they must be named .xpm. Alpha transparency just messes up the image though.
3. Have you set ROX as the root window for your desktop?[/qupte]
No
As for a "proof-of-concept", as I said I haven't tried it yet. It was just offered as a suggestion for your information.

Hope that helps.
It seems like there needs to be a lot of conditions to get the few extra pixels of the orb LOL. I'm not sure if I'll release it to the public if you really need the latest icewm+imlib+rox desktop for it to work properly, but I want to try to get it working to see if it can be done. If there's also a way to get pseudo-transparency with icewm, I could make some awesome themes.

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

Thought you might like a little look at Albi's TrueVista with a few little tweaks from me - animated buttons on the titlebar, transparent CPU idle status and a realigned logo on the start button. Enjoy!

BTW, the folder icons are a set I'm modifying for the next CE version of Puppy, so no asking for them yet, eh! :P

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Rox can't be "set" to root window, afaik. What you need to do is to apply the background that Rox is using to the root-window, which can be done with the background setter in the start menu. To have that be automatic, reference my thread on Conky, the editing /root/.xinitrc part.

Or use the old version of Rox, used in Puppy 1.x.x, and I think up through 2.1.2. That version uses the root window.

The only way I can think of to find out what IceWM was compiled with is to find the right IceWM file to run ldd on, and see what it's dependencies are. That won't work if it was compiled statically, but that isn't likely.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JonZ

#10 Post by JonZ »

This looks cool, and would be upgraded to awesome if the Windows logo could be replaced with a penguin, but leave everything else the same ;)

ttuuxxx

#11 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yes I like it also, I'll use it in my next Fire Hydrant.

Keep up the excellent work! It also would be nice if you had a Navy Blue, Or a Lime green, maybe even a peach colour?
Oh well i could always remaster the colours.
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:Thought you might like a little look at Albi's TrueVista with a few little tweaks from me - animated buttons on the titlebar, transparent CPU idle status and a realigned logo on the start button. Enjoy!

BTW, the folder icons are a set I'm modifying for the next CE version of Puppy, so no asking for them yet, eh! :P
Hey WhoDo i was wondering something, do you have or plan to make a Lite version of EZPup icewm without icons? Not that i don't like them, its just that i spend countless hours changing all the default icons in my jwm version then i usually install EZpup, Because i like the larger icewm taskbar size and the icons in the menu, But i actually like the ones i put. Basically All I'm asking for is a lite version of EZpup that doesn't change any icons what so ever, Maybe even just 1 theme, I always change them all to my default ones anyways, I'm sure other developers of Derivatives would find a tool like that very usefull.
Thanks for your time :)
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Hey WhoDo i was wondering something, do you have or plan to make a Lite version of EZPup icewm without icons? Not that i don't like them, its just that i spend countless hours changing all the default icons in my jwm version then i usually install EZpup, Because i like the larger icewm taskbar size and the icons in the menu, But i actually like the ones i put. Basically All I'm asking for is a lite version of EZpup that doesn't change any icons what so ever,
The next version of EZpup will be EZpup 4.0 for Dingo, and it will fit with Barry's icon-changer applet. EZpup will simply supply a small variety of consistent icon themes, among many other look-and-feel features, that can be switched about at will.

EZpup 3.0 won't be upgraded any further. The next CE, TS3.03CE will have most of what is inside EZpup built right into the ISO. That will be possible because it will no longer contain a ROX upgrade, for example, and there are other applications that now exist in the base Puppy so having them in EZpup would be an unnecessary duplication.

WhoDo

#14 Post by WhoDo »

JonZ wrote:This looks cool, and would be upgraded to awesome if the Windows logo could be replaced with a penguin, but leave everything else the same ;)
You mean like this?
Attachments
tux-start.png
Tux logo for Vista replacement
(21.31 KiB) Downloaded 1354 times

ttuuxxx

#15 Post by ttuuxxx »

see if this works

when i uploaded it to a image host it was a xpm, now when i download it, its a jpg. if you are going to use this as a button just rename it to .xpm :) ttuuxxx

Albi

#16 Post by Albi »

Hey guys, I'm just getting around to changing the window part to look like vista (I'll include hover and inactive pixmaps as well). Just a few questions:

1) How do you make the CPU bar/Network Stats transparent?
2) Is there any way to make the system tray transparent as well?

Also, would you guys prefer a big icon that gets cut off for the start button (the one I did) or a small one that fits (like the one in the modified version)?

I'll probably get working to this again next weekend since I'm very busy, but I'd like to have some feedback before I start.

Also going to fix the ugly colors in the window list and logout window. What is the pixmap that determines the background for the window list/logout screen? The buttons seem to be using the taskbar pixmap, can I define it separately without changing the look of the taskbar buttons?

I know it's a lot of questions asked, I'm just trying to direct the feedback so I can get working on this next week asap.

EDIT: I decided to just finish it up quickly now. Enjoy :)

ttuuxxx

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

http://www.petaimg.com/uploads/1197451266.xpm
i made another start button for it, its a firefox one, came out nice, kind of pisses me off that this forum won't let me upload images. Ok i have a jpg just so you can see what it looks like but use the http://www.petaimg.com/uploads/1197451266.xpm
as the button, just rename it to what ever the button is called.and replace it.
Attachments
firefox.jpg
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 647 times

Albi

#18 Post by Albi »

I see the logo isn't very popular among you...
If someone posts a large version of the logo included in EZPup, I'll add it to the theme.

ttuuxxx

#19 Post by ttuuxxx »

Albi wrote:I see the logo isn't very popular among you...
If someone posts a large version of the logo included in EZPup, I'll add it to the theme.
Its not that your button isn't popular, One of the post asked for another alternative button for the non MS people, Well It is a very nice theme you made and i do make a lot of buttons you can see them here http://www.ttuuxxx.com/buttons/index.html
plus a retro button page. I have many more i haven't uploaded yet, Funny with a simple button change you can make a whole theme look different. Anyways thanks for your beautiful work.
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

Albi wrote:I see the logo isn't very popular among you...
Is this the one you mean?
Attachments
crystal vince blue.png
Crystal Vincent logo from EZpup
(47.83 KiB) Downloaded 611 times