Fire Hydrant FH_Jwm3.01c Just Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ttuuxxx

Fire Hydrant FH_Jwm3.01c Just Released

#1 Post by ttuuxxx »

well I've listened to all the feedback and basically I fixed everything that was wrong with JWM and featherweight, But this release is just FH_Jwm3.01c
Its grown just a bit, now its 117 MB, I added some new applications like 2 new image editors and 1 new file downloader application, I change the folder icons of JWM to ezpup and took One of Barry's setup programs and made a "Fire Hydrant extras" Basically it has 3 programs that you click and run in a menu, xsane, qps, Wireless internet. Its just the start for that custom menu thing. :) Also updated firefox to 2.0.0.11 and the latest gslapt which is 0.3.19, I'll make a full report later in the morning.

Anyways this will be the base for all my "Fire Hydrant" derivatives so please test it and tell me what you think and document any errors, since the others are way bigger and take longer to make, its always best to have at least a test system. Actually this one is really growing on me because how fast it is.
Thanks for everything ttuuxxx

the direct link is here
http://www.ttuuxxx.com/firehydrant/index01.html
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Thu 06 Dec 2007, 16:55, edited 2 times in total.

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

Caneri wrote:is this the one ttuxxx?

http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/firehy ... m3.01c.iso
Man your quick i think it was up for like 5mins then i reread it, Good on ya buddy, well done :)
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#4 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hello, basically i do need some sort of input from the users of FH_Jwm about the way it reacts and if their is any faults, Since this will be the base of Fire hydrant "Main" and "Inferno". It takes me tons of hours to bring to life these Derivatives. Really I don't want to keep making any mistakes. Basically if your normal operating system is puppy 3.01 and it works fine then give this one a shot, It should take almost the same amount of ram and cpu speed. Last time i looked at it, Fire Hydrant FH_Jwm3.01c was taking 38MB of ram. So please feel free to test it:)
ttuuxxx

cb88

#5 Post by cb88 »

for a second I thought that you meant that JWM had been upgraded to 3.01c O.o .... nvm ....hehe
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

raffy

viable

#6 Post by raffy »

Yes, you're making 3.01 a truly viable new desktop with all the fixes. After having tested it (but briefly), I would say it works well.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

geneven

Initial experience

#7 Post by geneven »

Installation worked fine for me; I'm putting it on a dvd to start with and will probably add it to my flash drive.

The first thing I always have to do is establish a connection, which to me means follow the wiki instructions for setting up my bcm43xx wireless. I've done it a zillion times, so it's routine. And after I enter the iwconfig and ifconfig and route commands and edit the resolv.config file, I always create a script so it's done automatically for me in the future.

But this time, I ran Leafpad as usual and the screen sort of froze! Fortunately, Ctrl-Alt Backspace brought me out of the gui, I entered xwin and then I ran leafpad and created my script.

But I thought I'd report that, just for interest.

Then, when I rebooted I got a message on the way into Fire Hydrant saying "unable to find backdrop.jpg".

So I'm in Fire Hydrant now, but without your beautiful backdrop!

**Note: I had no problem adding your backdrop by hand, later.

Other than that, all seems well.

raffy

habit

#8 Post by raffy »

3.01 had that habit of occasionally losing desktop settings in a frugal install. I hope that's the last time you've seen it in FHc. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

az_kwan

Just Installed

#9 Post by az_kwan »

I just installed. First thing when rebooted is "Error loading backdrop image ...".

Depressing Grey backdrop image. :(

Tried using Desktop -> Puppy Background Image ...

couldn't figure out how to change it.

ttuuxxx

#10 Post by ttuuxxx »

OMG how funny, I went and tried to change the desktop image and the trash can icon was super large 128x128 it looked nice but didn't work right, I resized it to 16x16 with gimpshop and now the UI works properly. That will be in the next release, funny some applications like the start menu automatically change the icons size to fit embedded in the code, and other applications like the background changer goes off the actual icon size, Really it should be specified in the code like the start menu mini-icons. ttuuxxx

az_kwan

FH_Jwm3.01c Jumbled Text in Firefox

#11 Post by az_kwan »

Firefox displays some web pages with jumbled and overlapping text and images. :roll:

Some examples are www.msnbc.com and www.nytimes.com

Possible incorrect font substitution ( duplicate fonts ? )

No such problem with Puppy 3.01 Seamonkey. :lol:
Fire Hydrant FH_Jwm3.01c :twisted:
Dell Dimension 4300, 1.65 GHz CPU, 384 RAM, CDROM boot
1 Gbyte USB Flash drive + save_pup
DHCP 1.5MHz ATT DSL

ttuuxxx

Re: habit

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

raffy wrote:3.01 had that habit of occasionally losing desktop settings in a frugal install. I hope that's the last time you've seen it in FHc. :)
Yes raffy this has been a bit of a problem, I've fixed 99% of them, in the next release it will be 100% well i hope, the only one i have found that changes is the "setup"icon it changed to a dog holding a bone, I've already corrected this one. It will be in my next release.:)

ttuuxxx

need a bit of help from you guys

#13 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok my major problem is that grub never has worked for my motherboards they are both asus M2V, What happens is that my keyboard is useless with grub, I have tried over 6 different ones, usb and ps2. The only key that works is enter, So basically i never install. I just run live on cd, well also I'm always upgrading and building "Fire Hydrant" anyways and to install it would be just a waste of time for me.

So basically this new error "unable to find backdrop.jpg". I have no way of fixing so if anyone can figure out a fix for it i would be more then grateful and would incorporate it straight away. I did look at the config file and it look ok.

Also Firefox displays some web pages with jumbled and overlapping text and images. Rolling Eyes

Some examples are www.msnbc.com and www.nytimes.com

Possible incorrect font substitution ( duplicate fonts ? )

Does anyone have a fix for this? I didn't change any fonts or config files in firefox, Its pretty ,straight out of the box other than a theme and a few addons which wouldn't of done anything to it, Well thanks for your help.
The sooner we get answers for these questions the sooner the next updated release will be out and then i can start working on the others Fire Hydrants, thanks guys :)
ttuuxxx

az_kwan

FH_Jwm3.01c Unable to find backdrop image

#14 Post by az_kwan »

problem is the file

/usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg doesn't exist

my temp fix was

#cd /usr/share/backgrounds

# ln -s sky1.jpg default.jpg

where sky1.jpg was already in the directory
Fire Hydrant FH_Jwm3.01c :twisted:
Dell Dimension 4300, 1.65 GHz CPU, 384 RAM, CDROM boot
1 Gbyte USB Flash drive + save_pup
DHCP 1.5MHz ATT DSL

tlchost

burnisoto2cd

#15 Post by tlchost »

When I select the CD option in burniso2cd to make a livecd I see the xdialong screen telling me all sorts of options....

Usage: Xdialog [<common options>] [<transient options>] <box option> ...

So, what file needs to be modified/added to have the correct parameters passed to the program to create a multi-session Live CD ?

thanks