Pmetatagger-2.1 - a gtkdialog audio meta tagger

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

Pmetatagger-2.1 - a gtkdialog audio meta tagger

#1 Post by plinej »

Just incase anyone looks at this thread I wanted to post that this project is dead and I started over with Ptag.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69948

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type at the cli for help:

pmetatagger --help

for some cli commands to load specific directories or files which skips the file/directory chooser in the gui.

This is a program that tags audio files.

The program supports any of the following tagging command line programs (at least one needs to be installed):

metaflac: necessary for tagging flac files

vorbiscomment: tags ogg files (so does mp3info, id3tag, & apetag)

apetag: tags many different filetypes (worked on everthing I tried besides flac which was corrupted in the process).

id3tag, id3info, id3convert (3 cli programs in the same package): version 1 & version 2 tags. Version 2 tags work for mp3 and seemed to corrupt everything else. Version 1 tags worked on every format I tried except flac (which were corrupted). Pmetatagger will only allow version 2 tags on mp3s currently, everything else will default to version 1.

mp3info: same as version 1 id3tag (no support for version 2).

AtomicParsley: support for itunes tagging on m4a, m4b, m4p, m4v, & mp4 files.

No re-encoding is done to your files just (re)tagging them.

If you select a directory and a file type all of that filetype will be input into the gui otherwise you can select a single file. The current tags (if any) will be displayed in the gui and then you may edit and click next or quit. If you click Next your changes will be input into the file. Quit will exit the program and your changes will not be made. Clicking Next will move onto the next track in the list. Between the first and second tracks you'll have the option to click yes or no. If you click yes the previous tracks info will be displayed in the gui (except for the track Name which will be the current tag). The track number will be one greater than the previous. If you click no, the gui will just display the current tags for the file itself.

Here's a link to a thread for command line id3 taggers that pmetatagger supports:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24941

Personally, I would recommend using the id3lib package. You may also want AtomicParsley if you have alot of itunes files since it supports itunes tagging fields.

As of version 1.3 I added support for jpg/jpeg files if jhead is installed in your $PATH.
Attachments
pmetatagger-2.1.pet
(11.45 KiB) Downloaded 1959 times
Last edited by plinej on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 00:13, edited 31 times in total.

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

Here's a pic
Attachments
pflac-tagger.jpg
(39.95 KiB) Downloaded 3883 times

plinej

#3 Post by plinej »

I think I'll probably add support for ogg via vorbiscomment. I'll probably rename to pmetatagger or something. I'll work on that sometime today. What cli tools do you need to edit mp3 tags w/o re-encoding? Are any already in puppy?

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

mp3info

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

plinej

#6 Post by plinej »

ogg support is in and will be in version 0.2. I'm going to look into mp3info now.

plinej

#7 Post by plinej »

Okay, the program is now pmetatagger.

Read the first post for more info.

plinej

#8 Post by plinej »

updated to 0.2.1

I realized the file chooser said to choose a flac file so I removed the flac reference since it could be flac, ogg, or mp3.

plinej

#9 Post by plinej »

updated to 0.3

fixed a bug with ogg tagging

plinej

#10 Post by plinej »

Are there cli tools that you can use to view/edit tags in ape or m4a/mp4 formats? Furthermore, if anyone likes this app but would like more tag fields added let me know and I'll work on adding them.

plinej

#11 Post by plinej »

Woops, I noticed I didn't add support for files with spaces in their names. That will get fixed in version 0.4. I'm trying to add support for id3v2 mp3 tags via the id3lib tools (id3convert, id3info, & id3tag). I should have a new version up sometime tonight. I'll make it so it will support mp3info & id3tag (depending on what's installed).

plinej

#12 Post by plinej »

0.4 is up.

It fixes the bug mentioned above.
Last edited by plinej on Sat 15 Dec 2007, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

Taavi

#13 Post by Taavi »

First: thank you for this one. And this not a demand this is a salute.

I think the most important information of the musical piece is not the artist or genre. Because without composers and lyricists there won't be any music for the artists to present.

Flac files have options to carry the really important pieces of information besides other nice properties. I like flac.

i made a form-based solution in my wiki (pmwiki) to write tags for my flac files. Then I have to save them as text and use the --import-tags-from -command to get the information with the music.

So I played with Pcdripper and Pmetatagger and I like them. I'm so grateful for these that I just want to give you something to spend your spare time with. As I didn't manage to edit your script to handle extra fields like COMPOSER and LYRICIST. My copy and paste technic was not enough. Just for the extra time of your life: there are many useful standard tags for vorbiscomments (http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tagging.html). There can be more than one composer, more than one lyricist, more than one performer ... for the piece of music ...

I haven't found any flac-tags handler like this one. And I write this post just because I'm so impressed of this script ... doing so much with so little without massive programs. Thanks!

And forgive me my really nice english and a short way to write. And imagine a smiley after every sentence. Here in nothern Finland it's a time that sun don't rice at all ... I hope this explains something.

plinej

#14 Post by plinej »

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely add the extra tag fields. Everyone is going to have a difference of opinion on which tags are necessary and which aren't. I planned on adding the comments field to the tagging system too. I'll try and work on it some more tonight but I really want to figure out my problem with id3v2 genres first.

plinej

#15 Post by plinej »

0.5 is up

Alright, I added support for the id3lib utils for mp3 id3v2 support. I added the comment field for mp3, flac, & ogg. I added fields for Composer & Lyricist for flac & ogg. The id3lib utils require a number for genre. You can enter the number or name though. I used the results from "lame --genre-list" to cross reference the name with the number. This way you can input the genre name and the program will find the number on its own.

disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

I saw the source code for a command line mp4 tag editor for Windows - it wouldn't compile in Puppy, but I could track it down again if someone with knowledge of C or something thought it would be useful.

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

plinej wrote:Are there cli tools that you can use to view/edit tags in ape or m4a/mp4 formats?
The aac/m4a/mp4 formats apparently use conventional ID3 tags, so the id3lib utilities should (?) be compatible.

I have no experience with ape, but a Google search reveals that this format uses APEv2 tags -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APE_tag
A commandline tag utility for APEv2 is Apetag from
http://www.muth.org/Robert/Apetag/

Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote:
plinej wrote:Are there cli tools that you can use to view/edit tags in ape or m4a/mp4 formats?
The aac/m4a/mp4 formats apparently use conventional ID3 tags, so the id3lib utilities should (?) be compatible.
It might be worth looking at the faad2 package, but I also know that Easytag uses a cutdown version of libmp4v2, so that might be worth looking at.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#19 Post by plinej »

I tried to tag some m4a files I have with id3tag and they seemed to take but when I tried to play them with mplayer they are now unplayable. They played just fine before I tried to tag them. I'll try and figure something out though.

tempestuous

#20 Post by tempestuous »

I did some more reading about MP4 tagging. ID3 metadata is definitely compatible, but there's some extra iTunes-related stuff in there as well. So any MP4 tagging applications problably need to be aware of this extra metadata, to avoid corrupting it.

As Dougal mentioned, Easytag can be compiled with AAC support using libmp4v2 as a dependency ... but Jason probably wants only the backend components.
The MPEG4IP project provides this libmp4v2 library, plus various utilities including the commandline tagger "mp4tags".
http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/index.php

Alternatively, there is "AtomicParsley" which seems to take the tagging concept a step further by modifying the iTunes asset identification.
http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/