Pup214R v1.00 - Puppy Linux 2.14 Revisited, is now available

News, happenings
Leon

Re: can't get frugal to boot ?!

#41 Post by Leon »

fudgy wrote:Thanks for these improvements! I awaited them for so long ...
It boots as expected from CD, however, I can't get frugal to work ?!
rc.sysinit never gets executed; after the union thing, it said:
[...]
busybox v 1.6.1 [...]
usage: init
init is the parent of all processes. - and then nothing else happens.

Here is what I did:
- copied all files from the ISO image to /mnt/home/pup214R/
- booted with grub:
kernel (hd0,1)/pup214R/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd pdev1=hda2 psubdir=pup214R
initrd (hd0,1)/pup214R/initrd.gz

I also tried a variety of disk locations for the files but the union thing seems to happen ok anyway.

Any help appreciated!
This settings from my menu.lst work for me:

# Boot Puppy Linux 2.14.r1
title Puppy-2.14.r1, /dev/ram0, idehd, /p2141r1
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /p214r1/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=p214r1
initrd /p214r1/initrd.gz
boot

All files from the ISO image are located in /mnt/home/p2141r1 directory on hda5 partition.

raffy

lost zdrv; un-face-to-face

#42 Post by raffy »

your installation is failing to access the zdrv file, which has been an ongoing and annoying problem with certain Puppy installations
- the full install problem is just logical, as it uses uncompressed files (and zdrv IS still a compressed file). IMHO, full install is useful for developers who know what they are doing (and not for me). :D BTW, is it correct to say that zdrv got used only beginning with version 2.13?
- yes, one example is in doing frugal install of 2.16.1: I recall that it will try to find Puppy files only from the partition where it saw the kernel and initrd.gz.
It seems that pakt and Dougal's contribution, like many other forms of positive contribution on this forum, are subjected to disdain.
- I would connect Sage's comments to the fact that certain quick correction/advise would pass unnoticed in a face-to-face situation but would be embarrassing in a forum. This is something that we have to live with. To achieve a win-win situation, we need a high level of trust in each other. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

pakt

"Hotfix" to fix problem with some modules not loading

#43 Post by pakt »

I have discovered a bug in Pup214R-1.00 that keeps certain modules (like zd1211) from loading properly. Tempestuous has kindly provided a dotpet that will correct this bug.

For this dotpet to work, you must use a pup save file. Install the dotpet by clicking on it and following the instructions.

Reboot Pup214R, then modprobe the module and it should install this time (if it hasn't been installed automatically after rebooting).

Download the "hotfix" dotpet here:
http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/Pup ... es-fix.pet
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Dougal

#44 Post by Dougal »

gw wrote:HotPup is a great tool.
I have tried it on puppy 2.17.1 and it runs fine.
On Puppy 3.01 it does not run by me.
Do you know why?
No, sorry. I don't have Puppy3, so I don't know exactly what has changed in it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Sage

#45 Post by Sage »

No-one has greater respect for the talents of young Dougal and pakt. However, - don't you just love those 'however' s - it really isn't acceptable to say 'you have to do this and have to do that' in order to get very basic stuff working. Don't get me wrong - everyone appreciates the efforts you guys make. If you are determined to release stuff frequently, then it needs decimal increment releases to follow in quick succession as glitches arise - the whole caboodle re-uploaded, the old version taken down. In the alternative, keep developments amongst a small coterie of friends until just about every aspect has been tested, every bug fixed, even if this takes years. These kinds of strategies will avoid disappointment or worse from your adoring acolytes.

Dougal

#46 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote:As to the meandering comments about distant collaboration, I leave response to pakt and Dougal.
The way I understood his comment is that the only reason he's actually trying it is because he knows me and that he can turn to me with bugs (same with Barry), whereas he never uses CE versions, since there's no specific person to turn to...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#47 Post by Dougal »

Here's an updated installer.

I've (hopefully) fixed the problems with frugal installs.
I've implemented the copying of the contents of the zdrv onto the HD with a full install (I never heard of this problem before...).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

Re: can't get frugal to boot ?!

#48 Post by Dougal »

fudgy wrote:It boots as expected from CD, however, I can't get frugal to work ?!
rc.sysinit never gets executed; after the union thing, it said:
[...]
busybox v 1.6.1 [...]
usage: init
init is the parent of all processes. - and then nothing else happens.
Try the updated installer.

Note to everybody: if you have a problem booting, you should try booting with "pfix=debug" which will give you detailed output that can help me find out what the problem is.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

swarnick

Loading kernel modules hang

#49 Post by swarnick »

(I had trouble getting this to post. If it comes up twice I will try to delete the extra copy.)

I have two machines which won't boot any version earlier than 2.17. Actually that isn't quite true. They hang most of the time but if I turn them off and wait awhile sometimes they will boot up. They hang at "loading kernel modules". This problem has ruled out 2.14R for me. (It also rules out a personal favorite of mine, PuppyPro.)

I would like to help with fixing this but I'm not quite sure where to start. The first step would be to see what got improved in 2.17 to lower memory usage and let the modules load. The second step would be to gather info on CPU type, IDE disk type, memory size, etc. which I will do before posting again.

Vis a vis releasing: Point revisions are a good idea. Taking down the old iso isn't required as many people might not need a given fix. Waiting until everything is perfect to release is not an option as many subtle bugs will not emerge even during thorough testing. They depend on hardware/software combinations not available in the lab or on a pattern of use the testers didn't anticipate. When releasing to real users every development team must try to find the sweet spot: good enough for the vast majority of users but with niggles for obscure hardware or unanticipated usage patterns. Reaching perfection in any release of any product is an iterative process.

Finally, I can appreciate good work without being an acolyte, especially if that good work is done by volunteers.

Sage

#50 Post by Sage »

Taking down the old iso isn't required as many people might not need a given fix.
Curious statement? Removing old saves server space. It would hardly be anticipated that the update would fail to do things the old one did?!

Otherwise my salt has been pinched.....

gerry

#51 Post by gerry »

I'm a bit bemused by all this- what is the need for 214R? Isn't a more recent version better? Why is 214R better than all subsequent versions?

On the other hand... I notice that I may be progressing towards having a number of Puppies, all tuned to various specialities, rather than a BIG distro that does everything (when it gets round to it.)

Gerry

raffy

chipset

#52 Post by raffy »

machines which won't boot any version earlier than 2.17
It must be some I/O chips. Recently, I've encountered this problem with a standard AMD Geode GX466 (this has CS5535* chipset) that has an enhanced IDE interface (the IDE drive is actually a CF). I guess I will have to open the monitor (it's an integrated PC/CPU) or use Dougal's hardware diagnostic dotpup (?). I recall that 2.17 is meant to be able to handle certain SD cards...

It will be good for 214R to also work in such machines.

* No problem using this chipset with Puppy.

EDIT: gerry, 2.14 is in the middle of various versions beginning with 2.12 (with major kernel upgrade in 2.12), and can combine the best of the old and the new. It also used XDG menus for the first time.
Last edited by raffy on Tue 04 Dec 2007, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

cb88

#53 Post by cb88 »

are you saying that 2.14R is getting the gtk upgrade or 2.12? to what version is it being upgraded? if there is a forum post i have missed a link would be much apreciated...

do these fixes conflict with 2.15ce? if not perhaps whodoo could release another full release of 2.15ce... probably best to wait untill all these fixes have matured

cb88 ...thinks of running compiz on 2.12 with a minimal gtk dock (no desktop environment...but lxde looks good) and emerald window manager..... would be much more lightweight than xfce
Last edited by cb88 on Tue 04 Dec 2007, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

twointo1

#54 Post by twointo1 »

tempetuous-

I tried your directions: booted, did the pet, and then reboot with a save. When the livecd booted it did not recognize the wifi adapter. I then, modprobed zd1211, and it still did not recognize it.

I then unplugged and replugged the adapter and looked at the dmesg. It showed the following:

zd1211: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted
zd1211 - http://zd1211.ath.cx/ - r85
based on www.zdas.com.tw driver version 2.5.0.0
usbcore resgistered new driver zd1211
usb 1-1: usb disconnect, address 2
usb 1-1: new high speed device using echi_hcd and address 4
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from choice

Hopes this helps with a path to get the zd1211b chip working.

twointo1

gerry

#55 Post by gerry »

I tried it. I'm impressed. I like it.

Mind you, my needs are simple- no wifi.

I will need unrpm and cups to get my Canon i965 printer going, though.

Gerry

tempestuous

#56 Post by tempestuous »

twointo1 wrote:I then modprobed zd1211
No, wrong module. Now that we know your device ID is 0ace:1215 the correct module is zd1211b.
So the correct command is

Code: Select all

modprobe zd1211b
but Puppy may automatically load it anyway, so check first with "lsmod".

Dougal

Re: Loading kernel modules hang

#57 Post by Dougal »

swarnick wrote:I have two machines which won't boot any version earlier than 2.17. This problem has ruled out 2.14R for me.
Please try booting with "pfix=debug". I have much more verbose output that Barry, so it might help us find out where the problem is.
Point revisions are a good idea. Taking down the old iso isn't required as many people might not need a given fix. Waiting until everything is perfect to release is not an option as many subtle bugs will not emerge even during thorough testing.
The way Pakt and me do it is that we have what you might think of as "weekly builds" -- we use frugal installs and just keep updating pup_214R.sfs every time I fix bugs and send him the update... then we can test it by booting with pfix=ram.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

twointo1

#58 Post by twointo1 »

tempestuous-

I did a modprobe zd1211b and it is recognized. The wifi adapter shows as wlan0. I believe this is the first time it has shown up that way. If I remember correctly, in the other versions and some other distros it shows as eth1. Problem is now connecting. Even if I turn off wep or wpa, it will not connect. I could also do a iwlist eth1(wlan0 now) scanning, but now it says it doesn't support it. This is odd. In the wizard, it shows about 8 ap's including mine.

Well, I never got ahead by giving up and I'm not about to now.

Thanks

twointo1

cb88

#59 Post by cb88 »

I just booted up 2.14R and i have notice that JWM configuration is really cutdown... I don't remember if it allowed theme changeing in 2.14 but it doesn't now would be nice to get that working (nice gradient theme btw)

the rubix cube was somewhat of a selling feature for me....hehe doesn't matter

the new menu layout looks intuitive

transmisson is slow to shutdowm...

uexplor looks rather clunky... perhaps this would make a better option? http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/

i see the tabbed pmount is in... pdrive is nice too worth consideration

REALLY NEEDED: a menu entry for alsamixer it is a lifesaver (currently you have to be familiar with the command line to run it)

we that is all i see right now...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

cb88

#60 Post by cb88 »

english spell checking is bliss...

I encountered the usb thing.... no drive was detected by mut or pmount but here is the interesting part... pudd did detect /mnt/ub1 just though you might like to know that...

the drives on the desktop are very user frendly... I like

@Dougal could you PM me a dotpet of Hotpup id like to use it in MATH PUP