Pup214R v1.00 - Puppy Linux 2.14 Revisited, is now available

News, happenings
Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

This presents me with two dilemmae. Should I dig deep in the junk heap? Should I ask the inevitable question and risk two beautiful friendships? Answers on the proverbial postcard addressed to Father Christmas....

cthisbear

#22 Post by cthisbear »

" Should I ask the inevitable question and risk two beautiful friendships? "

So unlike you to tread lightly.
Do what I do and just give no consideration to feelings.
Sure ... this approach is not for the faint hearted.
But as I insist on saying....if I start to be nice at this point in life....my few remaining friends will ask..."why now".

No dear Sage.....just head for the dark side now that Christmas approaches.
With indifference and attitude....we two could lead the world.

Excuse me now...I'm off to write some poisonous emails.

Regards..........Chris.

YoN

#23 Post by YoN »

Congratulations Puppy2.14R !

I boot from CD and,

1: Selected keyboad=jp-106
2: Selected Xorg=800x600x16

and it works very lightly and I enjoy.

But at first time, I reboot/shutdown Puppy from " Menu | Shutdown | Reboot computer or Power-off computer ", no damage done. Only black screen is
there. It seems power-off.

I try again with Selected keyboad=en. The same results.

Mostly after reboot/shutdown script at first time, there will appears "Save to File | Save to CD | Don't Save".

How do I make my personal strage file ?

My PC is;
Epson Endeaver MT-3500
Celeron 533Mhz, 256MBRAM
Display Adaputor: Intel 810 Graphics Controller

Thank you.

craftybytes

#24 Post by craftybytes »

pakt & Dougal - thankyou both for devoting some time to putting this together for us puppians.. 8)

BUT - as you are aware there are still many of us who are unfortunately still on 56k dialup speeds - so is there any possibility that you could 'package' just the changes/enhancements you incorporated into a smaller tar.bz2 or zip or pup/pet ( much similar to what WhoDo did with Ezypup ) - thus making it easier to do downloads.. :?:

I'm sure most of us who would like this "package" can do the install(s) as needed - if we have probs we can always come to this forum with our queries.. :roll:

Please.. :wink:

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

fudgy

can't get frugal to boot ?!

#25 Post by fudgy »

Thanks for these improvements! I awaited them for so long ...
It boots as expected from CD, however, I can't get frugal to work ?!
rc.sysinit never gets executed; after the union thing, it said:
[...]
busybox v 1.6.1 [...]
usage: init
init is the parent of all processes. - and then nothing else happens.

Here is what I did:
- copied all files from the ISO image to /mnt/home/pup214R/
- booted with grub:
kernel (hd0,1)/pup214R/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd pdev1=hda2 psubdir=pup214R
initrd (hd0,1)/pup214R/initrd.gz

I also tried a varity of disk locations for the files but the union thing seems to happen ok anyway.

Any help appreciated!

BTW the file-searching code works amazingly fast (zdrv file in subdir is not found) and gives a very informative choice of files.

Dougal

#26 Post by Dougal »

twointo1 wrote:I'm trying use my usb wifi adapter that is a zd1211 ZyDas chip. The firmware is always under /lib/firmware/zd1211. It's not there. When I look at /lib/modules, there is a text that talks about a post-executable package for the zd1211 firmware, but I can't seem to find it?
Tempestuous made us an updated zdrv, fixing some firmware problems that existed in 2.14. So the question is if the firmware is missing from the zdrv (and if so, was it missing from 2.14) or if it's just a problem with the module not being loaded.

You could have a look at /tmp/bootsysinit.log and see if there are any error messages.
I'll look into the zdrv and see if I can find something wrong there.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Dougal

#27 Post by Dougal »

Sage wrote:This presents me with two dilemmae. Should I dig deep in the junk heap? Should I ask the inevitable question and risk two beautiful friendships? Answers on the proverbial postcard addressed to Father Christmas....
Ahh, I was wondering when that would come up.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that subject had to be abandoned. Believe it or not, but it seems like even old Swedes can become violent if you use the word "SCSI" on them...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Sage

#28 Post by Sage »

You asked me to wait a little longer. Was that in 2005? Installed Sidux Lite to scsi the other day - effortless. With the combined talent of yourself and pakt, bated was my breath.....

gw

#29 Post by gw »

Hello,

Dougal,

HotPup is a great tool.
I have tried it on puppy 2.17.1 and it runs fine.
On Puppy 3.01 it does not run by me.
Do you know why?

Thank your for your constant work on the Puppy project.

--
gw

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

Dougal wrote:Tempestuous made us an updated zdrv, fixing some firmware problems that existed in 2.14.
Ah, so the revised zdrv was used in Pup214R.
twointo1 wrote:The firmware is always under /lib/firmware/zd1211. It's not there.
I removed the unreliable zd1211rw driver and replaced it with the zd1211 and zd1211b "Vendor-based community drivers" from
http://zd1211.wiki.sourceforge.net/

These drivers have inbuilt firmware, so they don't don't need to load firmware from userspace via hotplug. Don't worry about missing Zydas firmware, it's not required.

EDIT December 17 2007
zd1211rw driver available as dotpet here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 138#161138
Last edited by tempestuous on Sun 16 Dec 2007, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

more frugal install trouble

#31 Post by prehistoric »

Just got 2.14R installed and booting on an old box (Compaq Deskpro 6350, 350 MHz PII w/ 320 MB.). Several recent Puppies didn't finish booting because of trouble with the old IDE CDROM. Two other distros worked: DSL 4.0, TinyFlux 1.0. With a full install of the latter to the hard drive, tried to do a frugal install to a puppy214 directory. The result was something I wouldn't have predicted: puppy214 was made a subdirectory of /boot/grub in hda1, with vmlinuz and initrd.gz inside. I have no idea what happened to zdrv_214R.sfs and pup_214R.sfs. I ended up copying them from the CD manually and put everything in a top level directory (psubdir=puppy214).
There were errors in the text displayed for the menu.lst entry. ex: one place had (hd,0) instead of (hd0,0)

I rewrote the menu entry as

Code: Select all

title = Puppy 214R (frugal) on hda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy214/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=puppy214
initrd /puppy214/initrd.gz
The first time I booted through the grub menu on the hard disk the default location for the pup_save.2fs file was the base of the file system. I booted another system and moved this into /puppy214, after that it booted and saved as expected.

This is a great little system for old machines, and hotpuppy is habit forming. Fix the frugal install and it will go far.

prehistoric

twointo1

#32 Post by twointo1 »

tempestuous-

Thanks for your reply on the zd1211rw driver. While it may be unreliable, it worked flawlessly in the puppy versions I've been using 2.15 through 3.0

I'm using the Airlink 3055 usb adapter and it is simply not recognized in this version. I really wanted to use this version because everything else seems to just work.

Unless someone can provide a pet that will allow my adapter to function, I will miss this version.

Thanks for your time and if there is something I can do (I'm not a programmer, just a happy puppy user), I would like to have someone's help.

I'm sure that going forward, others will have this same issue.

twointo1

tempestuous

#33 Post by tempestuous »

I can't find any reference to Airlink 3055. Do you maybe have the Airlink AWLL3025?

Well it's a very simple process to copy over the zd1211rw module plus firmware from Puppy 2.14 (or from 2.12/2.13/2.15CE/2.16)
... but before you do that, why not try the existing driver? Do this

modprobe zd1211
EDIT: wrong module. It should be zd1211b.

now run this command to see if a new network interface has been created -

ifconfig -a
If a network interface has been created, just go ahead and use the Network Wizard.

If no success, it would be worth knowing exactly which device you have. Please post the results of this command

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 04 Dec 2007, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#34 Post by Sage »

Sad to report real problems with FULL install. LiveCD is OK. First issue occurred when PUI tried to install GRUB. Only one choice to root??fs was offered, claiming it was 'usual' - well it isn't and it didn't work, so I used the independent GRUB installer from 3.01 into MBR and that worked. Both XVESA and Xorg caused problems I've never seen before with any version/any distro, various instabilities, black screens. Managed to find a winning combination only to find that the NIC drivers were missing, as happened with 4.0alpha. Copied the entire lib/modules file from 3.01 and that worked OK. There seem to be lots of other issues which need systematising before they merit description.
Later.

twointo1

#35 Post by twointo1 »

tempestuous-

Tried to modprobe zd1211 and got: FATAL no module found

I have a Airlink101 AWLL3055 id 0ace:1215 just to give you the full information.

I added a folder /lib/firmware/zd1211 and added the firmware. It still doesn't work. I don't think that there is a zd1211.ko in the kernel - could be wrong.

Thanks again

twointo1

tempestuous

#36 Post by tempestuous »

Sage wrote:Managed to find a winning combination only to find that the NIC drivers were missing
This has been an ongoing problem with full HD installs using ALL versions of Puppy Linux, which I reported as a separate post here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22471
Sage wrote:Copied the entire lib/modules file from 3.01 and that worked OK
Surely it would have been more logical to copy across the modules from ver 2.12-2.16, given that 3.01 has a completely different kernel ...
or uncompress the 2.14R zdrv file as I suggested in that other post.

tempestuous

#37 Post by tempestuous »

twointo1 wrote:I have a Airlink101 AWLL3055 id 0ace:1215
OK, that's important, it indicates that you have the ZD1211B chipset so the compatible wifi module is zd1211b, not zd1211.
twointo1 wrote:FATAL no module found
This demonstrates that your installation is failing to access the zdrv file, which has been an ongoing and annoying problem with certain Puppy installations, which almost no one on this forum will acknowledge. The common answer to this type of problem is: if the zdrv file is "in the correct location" Puppy will find it. If you can work out where the "correct location" is, then your problem will most likely be solved.
Otherwise, the workaround is to explicitly install just the necessary module, which in your case is zd1211+b-r85-k2.6.18.1.pet from
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... 2-to-2.14/

I caution that for WEP or WPA encryption, some additional encryption modules will be required, so the inaccessible zdrv file will continue to be a problem for you.

Sage

#38 Post by Sage »

You credit me with skills I don't possess - whatever works, comes to hand, my friend! But I take issue with "...ongoing problem with full HD installs using ALL versions..." Not for me - only 4.0alpha, which was reported promptly. But I usually steer well clear of CE editions. All collaboration is fraught unless there can be frequent personal face-to-face contact between the parties, especially the principal researcher. That's been my long experience. Sometimes difficult to justify in writing in grant proposals for the attendance at foreign conferences! Much less that the most important interactions occur in the bar....
But it just happens to be TRUE.

Leon

#39 Post by Leon »

1.) I manually installed 214R v1.00 using frugal install. As another forum user named 'fudgy' mentioned the file searching code at startup works surprisingly fast.

The step of booting process between this two boot messages:

'Looking for Puppy in hda1... hda2... hda5... hda6... hda7... hda8...'

and

'Using personal data file /p214r1/pup_save.2fs which is on partition hda5'

takes less then 1 second. When booting to Puppy 3.01 or 3.92 from the same kind of frugal install it takes about 15 seconds or more.

2.) I really like the option to mount and to unmount partitions from Rox. This is very nice improvement.

3.) The Xorg Wizard from Puppy 214R v1.00 solved the problem with missing resolutions in display resolution list. Thanks for your efforts to fixing it.

We discussed the problem at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 35&t=15382
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 886#110886
Last edited by Leon on Tue 04 Dec 2007, 09:49, edited 5 times in total.

tempestuous

#40 Post by tempestuous »

Let me clarify a very important point: the ongoing problem I was referrring to does not relate to Sage's particular LAN driver, nor any other specific driver which may have been automatically detected and installed at first boot up. I'm referring to the fact that full HD installs do not uncompress and copy into place the full collection of modules. This is well-known, and acknowledged by Barry in the earlier post I mentioned.
The outcome is that full HD installations should work fine ... until users try to add a new device at a later stage! Any modules not already present in the installed filesystem must be accessed from the Puppy zdrv file, and due to a quirk in the way that full HD installs work compared to frugal installs, the zdrv file is not automatically mounted as a squash filesystem, and the contents are thus unavailable.

As to the meandering comments about distant collaboration, I leave response to pakt and Dougal.
It seems that pakt and Dougal's contribution, like many other forms of positive contribution on this forum, are subjected to disdain.