Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

Please post any bugs you have found
zygo

#81 Post by zygo »

Thanks Sage. I must get a turntable.

I won't have hardware enough to run Puppy soon. I'm considering a new MB with CPU.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24115

Sage

#82 Post by Sage »

I've just installed one of those boards for a client. They have a few quirks, are obsolete, and don't clock, but are fast and stable and cheap! cpc.co.uk also has them.
Don't buy a turntable - liberate one from a skip and fit a new stylus from CPC. Remember - you will be dealing with very small signals only and the sound card can handle that when directly wired, provided you use screened cables. Only the purists will worry about impedance matching and all that other stuff.

HairyWill

#83 Post by HairyWill »

HairyWill wrote:I still can't load the module ieee80211_crypt_wep so no wep on my ipw2200. Does this mean that no-one has working wep.
I'm bumping this because no one has acknowledged it. I can live without it but I think it might be important to some people.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE WEP WORKING?
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#84 Post by Béèm »

I use WEP with my ipw2100 connection on my Thinkpad R40.
Configured it by running the NW Wizard just fine.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#85 Post by BarryK »

JustGreg wrote:When I start up the 392 alpha version, I notice the following icons were missing: home, html, chat, drive, and save. The desktop files were pointing to the wrong icon files.

Home points to home48.png. The file that works is folder48.png
Html points to webeditor48.png. The file that works is webedit48.png.
Chat points to kopete48.png. The file that works is chat48.png.
Drive points to usbflashdrive48.png. The file that works is drive48.png
Save points to saveflash48.png. The file that works is save48.png.

I hope this helps.
I don't understand. If you boot alpha2, no icons are missing. There might be something amiss if had used a pre-existing pup_save, which is not supported for the alphas.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#86 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:1) gExec doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I didn't figure out how to use it. Can't see why I wouldn't use a console window instead. Dump it, in my opinion.

2) Don't much care for the icons. Do like the pretty background.

3) tkdiff is missing, hope it can get in. Does it need porting to gtk2?

4) scanpci was missing (noticed when I ran pupscan)

5) My eth0 (ethernet on a pcmcia card) was not detected. I did not know what module to load to detect it. In 2.16 it is detected automatically and only needs dchpd to get on the internet.

6) I think calcoo is a step down from Ycalc; or maybe I've just gotten used to the latter. Sure would like to see an RPN calculator too.

7) epdf still does not display text in some of my pdf files (e.g. my Home Power magazines). Probably some font missing?

For #5 I was curious about the modules loaded, comparing with 2.16 (in both cases, booting into ram). Here are the results. The modules loaded were the same, except:

Modules loaded in 2.16.1 but not 400a2:
8390, i2c_core, i2c_piix4, pcnet_cs, snd_ac97_bus

Modules loaded in 400a2 but not 2.16.1:
ac97_bus, squashfs, usbhid, usblp

I don't know if that tells you why eth0 is not detected, or anything else! FYI my machine is an old Thinkpad A21m.
Windows has the same thing, so gExec is for those crossing over.

Tcl/Tk apps not supported in Dingo. Use Wxdiff, which will be a PET pkg.

The next puppy, alpha3, will have scanpci.

pcmcia is broken. I have to recompile the kernel for it's new inbuilt pcmcia support. again, alpha3.

try running epdfview from a terminal, see if it reports what font, if any, is missing.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:MPlayer doesn't play CDs. But cdp from 301 does. Is it really old hat to play CDs on your PC? Also, how can I play my 45s?

You point out that this is just an alpha release so is it worth testing dialup?
Mplayer should play CDs. Right-click to bring up the full menu, which has an option to play CDs.

Dialup, yes, please test. alpha2 has Gnome-PPP as well as PupDial.

JustGreg

#88 Post by JustGreg »

I upgraded the compact flash device that I used for testing alpha1. I just copied the system files and did not use the universal installer. I have checked booting the CDROM and the problem did not appear. The pup_save was originally created by Puppy 3.90 alpha 1. So, there is no problem :D
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

PaulBx1

#89 Post by PaulBx1 »

Windows has the same thing, so gExec is for those crossing over.
OK, I'm all for serving Windows refugees. However, it seems non-functional. I tried an "ls" command and nothing happened. I tried to check the "run as root" box and got the error, "Failed to execute child process "gksu", No such file..."
try running epdfview from a terminal, see if it reports what font, if any, is missing.
OK, should have thought of that. I got no errors reported back on a file that displayed properly. However I got this when I first ran epdf (perhaps understandable as it's a boot into ram):

Code: Select all

# epdfview

** (epdfview:7628): WARNING **: Couldn't load config file '/root/.config/epdfview/main.conf': No such file or directory
...and then I got this when opening the problem pdf file, and scrolling through it a bit:

cairo context error: out of memory
Out of memory, hmmm. The file in question is rather large, 12 MB.

Couple more items I've run into:

8 ) The windows only resize from the side or bottom edges. You can't grab the top edge to resize them. Don't know if a universal problem; saw that in epdfview and pfind.

9) Not a bug, but it occurred to me that when I boot and enter a boot parameter, and misspell something, it continues on as if I had entered nothing. Perhaps it would be better if, when parsing those parameters, you find something you don't understand, you give the boot parameter prompt again, maybe with a warning? Just a thought. Might save some confusion...

JustGreg

#90 Post by JustGreg »

I have found gExec is a nice utility. It works well, especially, if one checks the box to "Run in a terminal emulator". The ls command will work if the "Run in a terminal emulator" box is checked. If the "Run in a terminal emulator" was default, I think it would be less likely to cause problems.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

BarryK
Puppy Master

#91 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote: OK, I'm all for serving Windows refugees. However, it seems non-functional. I tried an "ls" command and nothing happened. I tried to check the "run as root" box and got the error, "Failed to execute child process "gksu", No such file..."

8 ) The windows only resize from the side or bottom edges. You can't grab the top edge to resize them. Don't know if a universal problem; saw that in epdfview and pfind..
For the 'ls' command, you have to tick the "run in terminal" checkbox.
"Run as root" checkbox needs to be removed.

This is a limitation of the latest JWM. Joe has been criticised for that, perhaps the next version will restore it. I'm wondering where Joe is... I joined his mail list, posted a bug report, no replay from Joe. I'm very keen to get the MPlayer bug fixed, but it's a matter of whenever Joe feels inclined, after all, it's open source and something he does in his spare time.

zygo

#92 Post by zygo »

Dial up
pupdial gives
The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
I remember looking at the man page for pppd and getting lost. I don't know what the cause is but this is like the behaviour of 3beta. So I tried the 3beta remedies

modprobe -vn crc-ccitt
returns
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/lib/crc-ccitt.ko

modprobe -vn zlib-deflate
returns
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate/zlib_deflate.ko

I seem to remember a blank line being the responses in 3beta that got dialup working. Anyway it doesn't work in 4alpha2. I've just read an online man page for modprobe; the n option prevents actual insertion so how did it cure 3beta?? (By the way insmod returns Segmentation fault as it does in 3.01. I thought the response might be a hint to insert the module.)

When I first open pupdial there was no 'init string 2' so I clicked probe. The resulting string is slightly different from the wvdial.conf I have from previous versions. In 4alpha2 the penultimate item is missing: S11=55

The old wvdial.conf doesn't work either in 4alpha2.

GnomePPP gives
The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)

MPlayer won't play an audio CD
There's no menu item. I changed the CD-ROM drive setting in preferences to /dev/hdd and I changed all the items in the 'CD/DVD drive wizard' to /dev/hdd. MPlayer still didn't have a play CD menu item even after it was restarted. However, the play VCD option spins up the correct drive before reporting that there's no stream. When I reopened the 'CD/DVD drive wizard' all the drives were set back to /dev/hdc.

The disc is branded 'compact disc digital audio' and even when its in hdc (from where puppy booted) there's no way to play it. There's a menu.conf file but it bears no relation to the actual menu. If this parrat is sleeping I don't know how to wake it.

Jnoble

Dialup

#93 Post by Jnoble »

Zygo,
check /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. It should have ( username * password *) Same for Pap-Serects. I don't know what needs fixing but adding this info will make it connect.
Jim

plinej

#94 Post by plinej »

zygo,

I don't see a way to play audio cds from the mplayer gui either but it can supposedly play them from the cli. I can do it but it's really choppy.

This will play the whole CD from track 1:
mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom cdda://

This will play only the track 3:
mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom cdda://3

This will play from track 3 to track 7:
mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom cdda://3-7

I also tried the cli player cdda-player which appears to play but I get no sound.
Last edited by plinej on Mon 03 Dec 2007, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

plinej

#95 Post by plinej »

Barry,

Why is there,

/usr/bin/cdparanoia
&
/usr/bin/cd-paranoia

They're not symlinks.

It looks like cd-paranoia was compiled in T2 per the version output.
Anyways, the version used needs to be named cdparanoia.

veronicathecow

#96 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Barry, a couple of things, did you need any free RAM ( I asked in the developers log but perhaps you missed it. I was wondering if it would help with compiling times.)
Secondly. I have had no luck with my D201GLY2 motherboard with Puppy (Any version, I have tried 6 from 2.14 to Dingo A2) but it works fine in PCLinux. (Apart from having to use Vesa)
Pardon my ignorance but would it be down to a newer Kernel in PCLinux and if so, any chance a Dingo could be made with the very latest Kernel)?
as always many thanks for your work.
Tony

BarryK
Puppy Master

#97 Post by BarryK »

plinej wrote:Barry,

Why is there,

/usr/bin/cdparanoia
&
/usr/bin/cd-paranoia

They're not symlinks.

It looks like cd-paranoia was compiled in T2 per the version output.
Anyways, the version used needs to be named cdparanoia.
They're two different packages:
cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8/usr/bin/cdparanoia
libcdio-0.78.2/usr/bin/cd-paranoia

although a quick look at the man files indicates they do the same thing.
Note, libcdio pkg has other interesting utilities.

PaulBx1

#98 Post by PaulBx1 »

For the 'ls' command, you have to tick the "run in terminal" checkbox.
"Run as root" checkbox needs to be removed.
Yes, that works.

I wonder how hard it would be to eliminate those checkboxes from the gExec window, and simply run it the one way it does work? Make it idiot-proof. Is there any point in retaining them?

I might take a look at that...

rerwin

Modem testing - Intel modem not detected

#99 Post by rerwin »

In respone to Barry's request:
Dialup, yes, please test. alpha2 has Gnome-PPP as well as PupDial.
1. Although my PCTel, Lucent, and Smartlink PCI modems are detected and support connections, my Intel536ep modem is not detected at all in 4.00aplha2. It is detected in 3.01. I do not know what to do next; so please direct me if you need some debugging from me.

2. PupDial worked flawlessly in connecting all but the Intel modem. However, GnomePPP is uncooperative:
a. I used the "setup" option to detect the modem (SmartLink, in this case) as /dev/ttySL0.
b. I entered the ISP phone number in the number list. I did not disturb the init-string part.
c. In the connection dialog, I entered my login ID and password and left the "save password" box unchecked.
d. The phone-number drop-down field did not respond; so I could not select the number I had already entered. But I typed the number in the field and pressed "connect" (and then "log").
e. The log stopped at the message: "Please enter password (or empty password to stop". So the password I entered did not get passed.
f. I then selected/checked the "save password" option, then Quit and restarted GnomePPP. The phone number remained in its field. With all fields set, I pressed "connect".
g. Per the log, it then connected (at 48000) but failed to provide the login ID when prompted (by the ISP). It passed nothing for three attempts, then the connect string (with phone number) on the fourth try. It then timed out waiting for a password.

In summary:
1. Intel modems not detected.
2. GnomePPP phone number list not working.
3. Electing to not save the password prevents its use in the connection process.
4. After connection with "save password" checked, login ID not used in communicating with the ISP.

Here is the log of the last attempt:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT253-4201
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT253-4201
CONNECT 48000
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Connected, but carrier signal lost!  Retrying...
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT253-4201
--> Waiting for carrier.
Level 3 Comm nas13.2ma1 UQKT2
Username:/login:/Login:
Username:/login:/Login:ATM1L3DT253-4201
Password: 
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
--> Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
--> Disconnecting at Mon Dec  3 11:49:18 2007
I hope this is useful; I am ready to help with debugging both issues.
Richard

tempestuous

#100 Post by tempestuous »

veronicathecow wrote:I have had no luck with my D201GLY2 motherboard with Puppy
Forum member Vaklin now has Xorg working properly with the D201GLY in Puppy 3.01 using a slightly different SiS Xorg driver -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#155924

Even though you have the version "2" of this motherboard, the solution may be the same.
veronicathecow wrote:would it be down to a newer Kernel in PCLinux
Maybe, but that's far from assured. New kernels can bring as many problems as fixes.