[obsolete] Compiz-Fusion Puplet for testing -- aka "W...

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
The Jinx

#101 Post by The Jinx »

Well when i typed "compiz-manager" in the terminal window this is what shows up:
Checking for Xgl: not present.
No whitelisted driver found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
no /usr/bin/metacity found, exiting
um this is what was generated when i was on the x terminal emulator, i get something different when i type "compiz-manager" after i press ctrl+alt+backspace.

floborg

#102 Post by floborg »

Should I even bother with wNOP with this machine?

Compaq Presario 5140
Pentium II 400 MHz
224 MB RAM
ATI Rage 3D Pro LT (4 or 8 MB vid memory)

I tried it and nothing was happening by default except lock-ups.

tombh

#103 Post by tombh »

@The Jinx: Got it! Just type

Code: Select all

SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz-manager
into terminal and we've done it. Well fingers crossed anyway! Let me know.

@floborg: I'm very interested in what the minimum spec for wNOP is, I think your graphics card is DRI capable and your system isn't that old so if you'd like to keep trying we can begin with a wNOPdump (see very first post on the thread and also a couple of posts back for what to do with a wNOPinspect and wNOPdump)....

The Jinx

#104 Post by The Jinx »

Although my system really can't handle it well, I am totally wobbiling now :D. Props to tombh and all for helping.

I will now try this on my laptop with ATI® Mobility Radeon™ X1200

The Jinx

#105 Post by The Jinx »

okay well it doesn't work on my laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon x1200. When i tried to type "SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz-manager" in the terminal window it just kills x.

floborg

#106 Post by floborg »

tombh wrote: @floborg: I'm very interested in what the minimum spec for wNOP is, I think your graphics card is DRI capable and your system isn't that old so if you'd like to keep trying we can begin with a wNOPdump (see very first post on the thread and also a couple of posts back for what to do with a wNOPinspect and wNOPdump)....
Here is a wNOP dump. I had to make it in the normal Puppy 3.01 + Xfce since wNOP isn't stable enough. I already have the xorg OpenGL pet installed.

EDIT: Deleted attachment. See more recent post.
Last edited by floborg on Mon 17 Dec 2007, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

Volsung

#107 Post by Volsung »

The Jinx wrote:okay well it doesn't work on my laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon x1200. When i tried to type "SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz-manager" in the terminal window it just kills x.
I am pretty (85%) sure that that needs to be run from the CLI in order to work properly since it affects X. Try exiting X (ctrl alt Bkspce) and then using it. Then start X if it doesn't do that for you.
[img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3843/magussigbc0.jpg[/img]

tombh

#108 Post by tombh »

@The Jinx: Bingo :P We've done it -- the official fix for ATI cards. Although it doesn't work on your X1200? Did you follow all the steps, like the Option "Composite" "Enable" thing? Which card was it you got going with the ATI-Installer/devx/kernel-source method?

To make it official then, here is the recommended fix for ATI cards:
(*NB) If your card is older (therefore older than 5th generation) then simply typing

into the terminal should get you wobbling. Otherwise you will need to do the following --
(1) Clean, fresh, 'pfix=ram' boot of wNOP
(2) Download (or by whatever other means) kirk's ATI fglrx dotpet
(3) Double click it to install
(4) Add

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
to the end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(5) Restart X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE then type 'xwin' to come back)
(6) Type

in the terminal.

Any confirmations of this method (Caneri, topjohn) would be greatfully received.

tombh

#109 Post by tombh »

@floborg: Can you not choose the <Plain Xfce> Option during the Compiz-Fusion Wizard at boot time? It would be good if that did work cos otherwise we might have to do it all the old school manual way!

topjohn

ati.pet working... sorta...

#110 Post by topjohn »

using ati.pet with the method mentioned by tombh, i've been able to get almost everything working together. my only issue now is that randomly some windows/menus will not appear. for instance, if i pull up the desktop menu i might see the first level of menus, but the second level only paints a blank menu of the correct size. apps are the same. nother example, i can open a file manager only to have title at the top, but a blank window below below. anyone else experiencing this? sometimes it will work after opening and closing several windows/menus.

note: from a fresh install of wnop, my xorg already had:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

so i didn't have to add it myself.

Volsung

#111 Post by Volsung »

That sounds kinda like the rendering problem I was having with an intel card... Perhaps seeing if the fix is the same? This is just a guess until the people that know what they are talking about return...

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
Oddly enough though mine is working without the line in my xorgconfig. For some reason if I leave puppy alone at startup, it exits X and runs xorgwizard so my xorg.conf file gets rewritten. After that had happened once I found I didn't need that line of code anymore... Wierd... Any ideas as to why that is so?

tombh

#112 Post by tombh »

So, still a bit more tidying up to do with this ATI fix.

@topjohn: My first guess would have been what Volsung said about the Option "XaanOffScreenPixmaps". But then you say that you already have the Option "Composite" "Enable" which means that wNOP has set you up for ATI which *also* means you'll have XaanOffCScreenPixmaos in there. So what I'm thinking now is that maybe all the added ATI options, namely --

Option     "backingstore" "true"
   Option     "EnablePageFlip" "true"
   Option     "SubPixelOrder" "none"
   Option     "AccelMethod" "XAA"
   Option     "RenderAccel" "true"
   Option     "AGPMode" "4"
   Option     "ColorTiling"   "on"
   Option     "DynamicClocks" "on"
   Option     "mtrr" "on"
   Option     "VideoOverlay" "on"
   Option     "OpenGLOverlay" "off"

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
   Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" 
should be reconsidered for the fglrx driver. What if you were to try removing all or some of those options from /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

@Volsung: that does sound a bit weird! What do mean by 'if I leave puppy alone at startup', what do you do if you're present for boot up? What type of installation do you have?

cb88

#113 Post by cb88 »

@tombh if you get all the configuration working in 3.00 would you consider building a 2.12 based version?

because 2.12 is one of the more lightweight versions... already has nividia drivers compiled ...ati would probably need to be recompiled with aiglx

xorg would need to be recompiled or perhaps wows package could be used... it worked in 2.13+ I think 2.12 is the same as 2.13 except with petget support and some other changes that made it somewhat less stable

I think someone is working on an upgrade of 2.12 GTK so CCSM would run.... who is doing that?

since the goal would be a lightweight verson XFCE is a no no... just a plain GTK dock (with a root menu) and compiz to manage the wallpaper and emerald WM

of course would fallback to JWM.. there was a little talk of JWM being hacked to only control the panel... that might work if the window managing and panel part can be made independant

even if you went the dock only and no xfce it would knock wNOP down to ~110mb that is something to consider also lovin' the wii-black GTK theme
and H-K black emerald theme
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

pdrito

#114 Post by pdrito »

tombh,

For me it's the same as topjohn pointed.
I have an external PCI-e ATI x1300 Radeon video card.

I open wNOP from a live CD.... no problem.
I install kirk's ATI fglrx dotpet.... no problem
I follow the steps:
(4) Not necessary, It was already there.
(5) Restart X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE then type 'xwin' to come back)
(6) Type Code:
in the terminal.
Your logo fusion-compiz appears and ALL OK ....... no problem

Then, maintaining the terminal open, I have fusion-compiz working. :o

The problem IS:
Some windows open in white, only the frame. (example Pmount, File Manager , etc) so is imposible to work.

I put all/some # on some variables addind by compiz on xorg.conf, like this
#Added by Compiz_Fusion Wizard :)
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "vesa"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "RV515 [Radeon X1300]"
#Option "backingstore" "true"
#Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
#Option "SubPixelOrder" "none"
#Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
#Option "RenderAccel" "true"
#Option "AGPMode" "4"
#Option "ColorTiling" "on"
#Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
#Option "mtrr" "on"
#Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
#Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
#Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
#Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

BUT, no joy.

Please see if you give us some ideas. You are soooooo close. :lol:

pdrito.

cb88

#115 Post by cb88 »

@tombh http://lxde.sourceforge.net/ they seem to have the right idea... a very lightweight desktop environment probalby almost as light as rox... the file manager supports desktop icons... maybe support for compiz could be requested or it already exists (i mean different icons for different desktops and multiple wallpapers it is GTK so should run just as well with compiz as XFCE)

#Added by Compiz_Fusion Wizard
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon" <<this might need to be frglx? but definitely not xvesa
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "RV515 [Radeon X1300]"
#Option "backingstore" "true"
#Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
#Option "SubPixelOrder" "none"
#Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
Option "RenderAccel" "true" <<I know you'll need that one others you probably need too
#Option "AGPMode" "4"
#Option "ColorTiling" "on"
#Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
#Option "mtrr" "on"
#Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
#Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
#Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
#Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

topjohn

#116 Post by topjohn »

i don't know if this is of any help, but...

ati.pet seems to work when i do a fresh install, run ati.pet, restart x(ctrl alt backspace/xwin), run SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz manager. everything comes up as it should with everything appearing normally. i then edit my /etc/.xinitrc to get autostart of compiz and reboot. when desktop appears i can't see my windows correctly again.

update: taking out the autostart in /etc/.xinitrc and manually starting comiz with "SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz-manager" sorta fixes the problem. by sorta, i mean i got a blan window once. 30 open windows after worked just fine.

Caneri

#117 Post by Caneri »

tombh

Here's another shot at pfix=ram..ATI.pet (kirk) etc.

So far for me only topjohn's method with the full ATI driver got me wobbly....

OK..back to fixing a ladies windose puter...Puppy how do I love thee...

On ATI Radeon Mobility X1600/256 ram..HP Compaq nx9420
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
(12.26 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tombh

#118 Post by tombh »

!! Of Course, I've got it !!

Because wNOP sets up xorg.conf at boot for the radeon driver THEN we install the fglrx driver there are TWO "Device" Sections! Doh!

So Volsung's and my suspicions were correct :) We just didn't think to put them in the correct place!

Option “XAANoOffscreenPixmaps
Last edited by tombh on Wed 05 Dec 2007, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Volsung

#119 Post by Volsung »

tombh wrote: @Volsung: that does sound a bit weird! What do mean by 'if I leave puppy alone at startup', what do you do if you're present for boot up? What type of installation do you have?
Frugal install of wNOP. Leaving it alone at startup means turning on the computer and walking away for 20+ min. When I come back, I see xorgwizard running. If I am present it starts up normally (loads kernel and such) then loads X and I can go from there.

Caneri

#120 Post by Caneri »

yup...slow screen scolling here
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]