Fire Hydrant featherweight, Main & Inferno Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ttuuxxx

#21 Post by ttuuxxx »

macadavy wrote:ttuuxxx:
Fellow puppian muggins (another resident of the marvelous Land of Oz!) has very kindly compiled a dotpup for Jabbin - see this thread: <-------- I also Live in australia

As always, greetings from the Great White North, eh? <--------- I'm a Canadian too, from Ontario near ottawa :lol:
I'm married to an Aussie, my daughter is 1/2 Canadian 1/2 Australian so she'll have some location choices when she gets older. :) anyways i'll add it to my list :)

Both packages are on gslapt so it sould be easy to install them :) I just have to figure which F.H distro gets what, They are around 25MB total installed so i don't think they will go in Featherweight.
other than that

ttuuxxx

#22 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok since this was based on fatfree 3.0 here's the link to the release notes for it http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22650
, as sound goes, i don't see anything missing in the release notes and when i tried the puppy sound mixer on Inferno it worked fine.
but I'll keep looking :)

geneven

Enough space?

#23 Post by geneven »

I'm enjoying Fire Hydrant. I'm running the Abiword version of main.

I've added a few programs. I didn't notice your instructions for Samba, so I just added LinNeighborhood from the Puppy program installation menu -- is there some reason I should choose your link instead? It seems to be working ok.

I have a 2-gig Flash drive. How do I know how many more programs I can add? I'm used to a no-limits situation.

Why are there all those modem dialup programs? Do people still use modems? I had to, a few years back when I was living in Moscow in an apartment building that wasn't wired to run DSL or Broadband, and it was hell.

I went the whole route from modems to CompuServe (with a faster USR modem) to ISDN to DSL to Cable (Roadrunner.). Now I'm running a laptop wirelessly from my Cable setup, when I'm not using my Nokia N800 Linux handheld computer, also wireless.

geneven

To answer my own question...

#24 Post by geneven »

I found that a quick way to get an idea how much space I have left is to run the "Resize personal storage file" program from the Utility section of the main menu. It tells me how much space I have left.

But other tips would be welcome. It confuses me that with some variants of Puppy I seem to have no problems with space -- Fire Hydrant is one -- and with other variants I am quickly in a space-crisis -- I had trouble with the standard 3.01 release, for example.

So, I do what some people do with doctors -- I go to the one that gives me the best prognosis!

smooth

#25 Post by smooth »

I downloaded Inferno3.0b but an error occurs when I try to load it , something about the kernel. Any ideas?

ttuuxxx

#26 Post by ttuuxxx »

smooth wrote:I downloaded Inferno3.0b but an error occurs when I try to load it , something about the kernel. Any ideas?
Hi i would check your CD and make sure it isn't scratched, also i would check the MD5 checksum and make sure it matches also B21D604B454648BDF9F2D5EB681BD00D
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

Comming tomorrow

#27 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi i've just made my final release of Fire Hydrant (for the next 2 weeks or so,lol) its call "jwm edition" its basically a cutdown version i made, without removing any utilities what so ever, so cups, and linneighborhood, samba etc still all work and its 111MB. I tweaked the desktop,menu, and CD-drive(LoL) but it runs nice, what i removed i replaced with better applications and yes it has flash. Even Firefox 2.0.10 which came out today. Anyways i'll write an official release tomorrow when i release it.
I'm going to do some testing on it first etc.
ttuuxxx

macadavy

#28 Post by macadavy »

Can't hardly wait! :lol:
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

ttuuxxx

#29 Post by ttuuxxx »

macadavy wrote:Can't hardly wait! :lol:
Its uploaded and posted take a look http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 839#156839

tlchost

Re: Fire Hydrant featherweight, Main & Inferno Released

#30 Post by tlchost »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Fire Hydrant 3.0b FHmainOoffice3.0b.iso 270MB Open Office (Main edition with Open Office Cut-down) excellent for computers with Pentium II, with 128MB but 256MB recommended
latest Flash, Firefox,Java, Sunbird, Fostwire and a few more!
I really liked this one....until I tried to remaster it....and when the livecd booted, the xvesa would not allow me to set the resolution.

Hope there's a fix for that problem.

ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

tlchost wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Fire Hydrant 3.0b FHmainOoffice3.0b.iso 270MB Open Office (Main edition with Open Office Cut-down) excellent for computers with Pentium II, with 128MB but 256MB recommended
latest Flash, Firefox,Java, Sunbird, Fostwire and a few more!
I really liked this one....until I tried to remaster it....and when the livecd booted, the xvesa would not allow me to set the resolution.

Hope there's a fix for that problem.
Yes there is a fix for that problem but you won't like it, Its the remastering programs fault, 100% when you use the dougal remaster, it kills vesa, you have to use the puppy remaster script, but that one you have to move just about every folder on the /root to the tmp/root durring the burning or you'll loose icewm themes, all the firefox addons, the pidgin accounts, etc.
okay for the way it sits you need to move the , .purple, mozilla, icewm folder. when it tells you to sort the stufff out.
hope that helps

ttuuxxx

tlchost

#32 Post by tlchost »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Yes there is a fix for that problem but you won't like it, Its the remastering programs fault, 100% when you use the dougal remaster, it kills vesa, you have to use the puppy remaster script, but that one you have to move just about every folder on the /root to the tmp/root durring the burning or you'll loose icewm themes, all the firefox addons, the pidgin accounts, etc. okay for the way it sits you need to move the , .purple, mozilla, icewm folder. when it tells you to sort the stufff out.
hope that helps
ttuuxxx
Yep....really a shame...as nice as it is, having to go through all of that to remaster it is a real pain.

Thanks

Philh

#33 Post by Philh »

Whodo mentioned a fix for xvesa with Dougals remaster in a 215 thread.
The file /etc/TZ needs to be made world writeable, and the file /etc/videomode doesn't exist so it needs to be created and also made world writeable.

Though I havent tried it out.

tlchost

#34 Post by tlchost »

Philh wrote:Whodo mentioned a fix for xvesa with Dougals remaster in a 215 thread.
The file /etc/TZ needs to be made world writeable, and the file /etc/videomode doesn't exist so it needs to be created and also made world writeable.

Though I havent tried it out.
I think there are other "things" that have to be done....and moving stuff in and out of the tmp directory before and after remastering.

TonshA

#35 Post by TonshA »

ttuuxxx! I downloaded Inferno last night and i just wanted to give you my intial impression: SUPERB!! It certainly coped with all of the media formats I threw at it, anyway.

I am seriously considering using it to replace my regular Pizzapup 3.01 (so that's pretty high praise indeed)

I'll give a proper evaluation over the weekend. What sort of feedback are you looking for? I'll just try everything out and report on things I think aren't working correctly or are broken otherwise.

One thing I wanted to mention - when I saw that inferno had Inkscape installed, I said "YES!!". That's the thing that made me WANT to download it. imagine my disappointment...Inkscapelite...

Not that I want to knock Inkscapelite (Or OOo Draw for that matter - I know it is there) but Inkscape (full version) is my 'must' application, so any puppy that comes with it 'out of the box' rates very highly for me. I was able to install it on Pizzapup, but I've never managed it since then, even with downloading the gtkmm dependent library. very annoying.

Anyway - don't want to go on too much about that. Had a great little play last night - changed the 'bling' firefox theme for something a bit less 'pimped' (it WAS fun for about half an hour...then the leopard spots started to irritate :D), checked out movies & music. Overall - very, very good.

more feedback in a couple of days.

Thanks a billion for this wonderful release.

DaveA

ttuuxxx

#36 Post by ttuuxxx »

TonshA wrote:ttuuxxx! I downloaded Inferno last night and i just wanted to give you my intial impression: SUPERB!! It certainly coped with all of the media formats I threw at it, anyway.

I am seriously considering using it to replace my regular Pizzapup 3.01 (so that's pretty high praise indeed)

I'll give a proper evaluation over the weekend. What sort of feedback are you looking for? I'll just try everything out and report on things I think aren't working correctly or are broken otherwise.

One thing I wanted to mention - when I saw that inferno had Inkscape installed, I said "YES!!". That's the thing that made me WANT to download it. imagine my disappointment...Inkscapelite...

Not that I want to knock Inkscapelite (Or OOo Draw for that matter - I know it is there) but Inkscape (full version) is my 'must' application, so any puppy that comes with it 'out of the box' rates very highly for me. I was able to install it on Pizzapup, but I've never managed it since then, even with downloading the gtkmm dependent library. very annoying.

Anyway - don't want to go on too much about that. Had a great little play last night - changed the 'bling' firefox theme for something a bit less 'pimped' (it WAS fun for about half an hour...then the leopard spots started to irritate :D), checked out movies & music. Overall - very, very good.

more feedback in a couple of days.

Thanks a billion for this wonderful release.

DaveA
Your very much welcome, If i was you don't install it yet, Its missing a few utilities and at the moment I'm building a better version that i will include "inkscape" not the light and also someone else asked for these 2 skype alternatives and also i was asked asked for skype beta that had video, so I'll shoot than in also. As for the "PimpZilla" theme well i installed it on the schools computers,lol and it grew on me, I did it as a joke and actually started really liking it, it took 2 weeks or so, lol but I'm debating on a more "Conservative" theme. If you think of anything else before I'm finished the new one in about 4 days or so, I'll include it as long as its in reason. Thanks for your time and nice remarks
ttuuxxx

TonshA

#37 Post by TonshA »

ttuuxxx wrote:If you think of anything else before I'm finished the new one in about 4 days or so, I'll include it as long as its in reason. Thanks for your time and nice remarks
ttuuxxx
Right! I didn't realise you were on such a strict timescale! :lol:

I'd be happy to install these as .PETs after a frugal install, but if you are interested, you could always add them to the 'official' Inferno:

- an image viewer of some sort. qiv is fine. When I tried viewing images last night it ran Gimpshop up every time. something simpler for viewing. GQview is my fave - but I would probably add that as a .PET

- mtpaint is still really useful for some jobs. I like it anyway. again I could just add this as a .PET

- a comic book reader? There's a shell script that can imitate cdisplay. It uses whatever image viewer you have on the system. In the example script it uses ImageMagick, but I guess you could arrange it to use anything. You can find it here http://shii.org/cdisplay
There are alternatives...cbrPager, CBview, Comix. I don't know which would have the best set of dependencies for what's already installed.

- fixing the default media player - it's still set to use gxine. If you could set the script to use your favourite mediaplayer (vlc?) but add lines for the other players - just comment them out. then people can edit them for their favourite. I think the default spreadsheet editor is broken too (probably still set to use Gnumeric). I didn't check the other 'defaults'.

- Rox's 'Open With' menu needs tidying up. Some of the apps aren't actually installed.

the last two are just tidy up items. hope I'm not being too picky. I'll try and give proper feedback tomorrow sometime.

Thanks for the quick response!

DaveA

ttuuxxx

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

TonshA wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:If you think of anything else before I'm finished the new one in about 4 days or so, I'll include it as long as its in reason. Thanks for your time and nice remarks
ttuuxxx
Right! I didn't realise you were on such a strict timescale! :lol:

I'd be happy to install these as .PETs after a frugal install, but if you are interested, you could always add them to the 'official' Inferno:

- an image viewer of some sort. qiv is fine. When I tried viewing images last night it ran Gimpshop up every time. something simpler for viewing. GQview is my fave - but I would probably add that as a .PET

- mtpaint is still really useful for some jobs. I like it anyway. again I could just add this as a .PET

- a comic book reader? There's a shell script that can imitate cdisplay. It uses whatever image viewer you have on the system. In the example script it uses ImageMagick, but I guess you could arrange it to use anything. You can find it here http://shii.org/cdisplay
There are alternatives...cbrPager, CBview, Comix. I don't know which would have the best set of dependencies for what's already installed.

- fixing the default media player - it's still set to use gxine. If you could set the script to use your favourite mediaplayer (vlc?) but add lines for the other players - just comment them out. then people can edit them for their favourite. I think the default spreadsheet editor is broken too (probably still set to use Gnumeric). I didn't check the other 'defaults'.

- Rox's 'Open With' menu needs tidying up. Some of the apps aren't actually installed.

the last two are just tidy up items. hope I'm not being too picky. I'll try and give proper feedback tomorrow sometime.

Thanks for the quick response!

DaveA
"
the last two are just tidy up items. hope I'm not being too picky. I'll try and give proper feedback tomorrow sometime." No your not to picky thats what I want to hear so that i can better the build every release, I really want to bring together an almost perfect puppy. I really do need to know what to look out for, Every time i get feedback like this it betters the next releases, so thank you for your input. :)

ttuuxxx

BigEd

256mb ram not enough?

#39 Post by BigEd »

have tried to run both inferno and main (open office) version now and havent been able to get them to load.
From the release notes it seems that the main realese version should run?
I get -
Loading the 'pup_300.sfs' main file...copying to ram... kenel panic - not syncing: out of memory and no killable processes....

I have 2.17 loaded on a hard drive and thought the pup_save might be causing the panic so tried booting with the puppy pfix=ram command (which i belive means ignore any saves? - im a bit of a newbie, sorry!) with this it gets as far as -
Loading the 'pup_300.sfs' main file...copying to ram... and then just freezes.
Computer is an amd 1200mhz so should be powerfull enough i think, also has a 600mb swap partition on the main drive.

Fossil

#40 Post by Fossil »

Featherweight holds a good balance of features and it's responsive overall. I've tried it with an old Pentium 333 mHz, 256 megs of ram and an old 500 meg's swap drive without any problems.
Firefox is (naturally) a bit slow to start yet, runs very well once under way but - it's still slow for an old computer. Any chance of changing to Opera?
The one small problem is Pmount. It fills all of the vertical part of the 1024x768 resolution screen. In particular, the CD/DVD icons, are vast orange things, 42 mm's across! Add to that the multiple hard drives + pen drive('s) and the base is obscured. There's no way to resize it. This feature occurs on several machines. Might I suggest swapping the primary mounting device to MUT, and leaving Pmount on the menu?
Thanks.