Fire Hydrant 3.0.1b Soon to be released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oldog1984

LOL

#21 Post by oldog1984 »

let me tell you something funny on my window box tryed to get on your web site 4 or 5 times came up with error jump on my little puppy box got right on your site downloaded 3.0.1a still trying to find 3.0.1b but who would thought something go be wrong with my window box lol..

klu9

#22 Post by klu9 »

oldog1984 wrote:does anyone have acopy of this try to download 2 times broken download if someone has this or could put this up as a torrent i will more than gladly to help seed thanks alot
ask & you shall receive :D

Torrent for Fire Hydrant 3.01a via Linuxtracker

anyone who has it, please seed as my DSL has pretty limited upload.

oldog1984

#23 Post by oldog1984 »

thank you and yes i will help

ttuuxxx

Re: Fire Hydrant Near Future?

#24 Post by ttuuxxx »

darethehair wrote:Hello ttuuxxx and others! My first post...

Long story short: as an Xmas stocking stuffer idea, I have purchased 1gb USB flash drives for my nephews and nieces, and one of the things that I was thinking of putting on them was a mini Linux distribution that they could boot from (and be persistent as well, for any changes made). Re-discovered Puppy, successfully installed it onto a USB drive, and now want a few more 'frills':

- flash9
- java
- thunderbird

(in other words, things that make web-surfing the most interesting)

Right now, as I type this, I am using a live CD 'Fire Hydrant'. It makes me happy to see that:

- it can run *some* flash media, but not the newest stuff (since it uses flash7 player)
- it can run my java-based apps!
- it can install skype, but it is a very old version in the Puppy repositories and I was 2.0+ with video
- it has firefox!
- it has thunderbird!

So, it is *so close* that I can almost taste it! Time is running out (of course) for me to do this. Any vibes on if/when Fire Hydrant will have this stuff, or perhaps any other distributions that do?

I am a long time Redhat-now-Fedora user that is used to RPM-based software installing.

Thanks
Hi i just finished the "Inferno" Fire Hydrant that is around, 444MB it has the latest flash, firefox, skype , k3b, actually it has 5 media players, 4 x p2p, latest java, open office, scribus, Kompozer, Bluefish,pidgin,x-chat,its a beast, that runs fast. Its totally amazing that i could fit over 30 major applications on 444MB. When i boot up with it and run conky it shows like 40mb of ram being used but the quickly goes to 80MB with maybe 10 pages open, i would say if you have a min of 256MB of memory give it a shot.

Ok but first its uploading that takes around 3hrs starting about 15mins ago, Then i have to update the webpage.
I have a total of 4 (3 main ones and 1 variant) fire Hydrants to be released, so it will take me some time to get it all together. I have to type the release notes etc.
Please don't bother with 3.01a that was an excellent release but very soon 3.0b will be released and that has everything updated, and vesa now works in 3.0b. Thanks for your time
ttuuxxx

darethehair

#25 Post by darethehair »

Thanks for your hard work, Ttuuxx!

Yesterday, I got a chance to use the new 'Inferno' flavor, and I was pleased to see that the newest Flash was present, and also a newer version of Skype (though not the beta 'video-enabled' version that I am looking forward to).

It took a bit of effort of my part (using 'alsamixer') to properly activate my microphone (on my PC is is 'mic2'), but unfortunately I could not get Skype 1.4 to recognize its existance -- but of course that is not your responsibility :)

BTW, I tried just plain-old Puppy on my mom's DSL-based computer, and could not connect to her ISP. Again, I do not know what I was doing wrong -- too bad the 'dialer' doesn't appear to provide any diagnostics at all :(

ttuuxxx

#26 Post by ttuuxxx »

darethehair wrote:Thanks for your hard work, Ttuuxx!

Yesterday, I got a chance to use the new 'Inferno' flavor, and I was pleased to see that the newest Flash was present, and also a newer version of Skype (though not the beta 'video-enabled' version that I am looking forward to).

It took a bit of effort of my part (using 'alsamixer') to properly activate my microphone (on my PC is is 'mic2'), but unfortunately I could not get Skype 1.4 to recognize its existance -- but of course that is not your responsibility :)

BTW, I tried just plain-old Puppy on my mom's DSL-based computer, and could not connect to her ISP. Again, I do not know what I was doing wrong -- too bad the 'dialer' doesn't appear to provide any diagnostics at all :(
Hello i listened to the skype beta thing and well i got it to work, so when i release in the next 1-2 all 4 of these variants all over again i'll include it!
I'm going to remaster them all because of bugs found in Fat Free, so i made my own reduced puppy without any utitilies missing. No problems with printer, or networking etc. Might even fix you modem or sound problem. If it works with main-stream puppy it will work with my release also :)
also for your modem problems maybe read the puppy user manual found here http://www.puppy-linux.info/en/manual/main.html it has sections on modems etc hope that helps
ttuuxxx

buttonss

Problem with PDF viewing

#27 Post by buttonss »

Am having trouble viewing pdf files with inferno. Just booted off the CD.

Can anyone help?

ttuuxxx

Re: Problem with PDF viewing

#28 Post by ttuuxxx »

buttonss wrote:Am having trouble viewing pdf files with inferno. Just booted off the CD.

Can anyone help?
maybe try opening it with open office, also i think i have a pdf viewer installed also and if all else fails install adobe reader http://www.puppylinux.ca/bugs/AdobeAcro ... -8.1.1.pet

have fun ttuuxxx

buttonss

#29 Post by buttonss »

Thanks tux^2

I tried open office- but it tries to convert the pdf to word (resulting in gibberish).

I opened xpdf (which is the reader you incorporated), but that wouldn't open my pdf file either - which defeats the purpose of having a pdf reader.

Will install adobe and see- but it'll be great if you could make it work out of the box.

Otherwise, excellent work!

ttuuxxx

#30 Post by ttuuxxx »

buttonss wrote:Thanks tux^2

I tried open office- but it tries to convert the pdf to word (resulting in gibberish).

I opened xpdf (which is the reader you incorporated), but that wouldn't open my pdf file either - which defeats the purpose of having a pdf reader.

Will install adobe and see- but it'll be great if you could make it work out of the box.

Otherwise, excellent work!
Hi buttons when i made that release i tried xpdf by downloading a pdf file and trying it out and it worked fine, but here's the deal, I'll if for sure your pdf isn't corupt it'll change it in my next release to something that works better, do you have a url of the pdf that isn't working and i'll try other programs to open it, acyually if its under 1MB you can post it here as an attachment. Well as long as its not something personal i guess, Just to try and trouble shoot it , thanks for your time
ttuuxxx

buttonss

#31 Post by buttonss »

Sure. See enclosed.

When I open HOME directory, I can see the file, and it's got a nice pdf icon on it. But it won't open.

I have 1 GB of memory, so it's not an issue.

I even opened xpdf, transferred the file to the xpdf directory (usr/local/bin) to open, and it won't do it.

It's happened for a few pdfs, so I don't think it's a problem with the files. My MD5 checksum for inferno is OK.

(The pdf files open ok with epdfviewer on puppy)

I'm running inferno as a livecd at the moment. I wonder if it's a memory issue. I also couldn't install the adobe reader because it's bigger than storage memory available.

Oh, the file is available http://www.remisiers.org/research//SIN- ... imb%5D.pdfhere

buttonss

#32 Post by buttonss »

Hmm.. I think it's a memory issue with running inferno as a livecd.

I tried to open a downloaded excel file, and Calc crashed.

ttuuxxx

#33 Post by ttuuxxx »

buttonss wrote:Sure. See enclosed.

When I open HOME directory, I can see the file, and it's got a nice pdf icon on it. But it won't open.

I have 1 GB of memory, so it's not an issue.

I even opened xpdf, transferred the file to the xpdf directory (usr/local/bin) to open, and it won't do it.

It's happened for a few pdfs, so I don't think it's a problem with the files. My MD5 checksum for inferno is OK.

(The pdf files open ok with epdfviewer on puppy)

I'm running inferno as a livecd at the moment. I wonder if it's a memory issue. I also couldn't install the adobe reader because it's bigger than storage memory available.

Oh, the file is available http://www.remisiers.org/research//SIN- ... imb%5D.pdfhere
i just tried it using epdfview and it work in Fire Hydrant 3.01a with the link you provided, I'm, just wonder does it also work in Inferno ? Have you tried epdfview in Inferno if it does work I'll use that program as the default pdf
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Office/Epdfview-0.1.5.pup

buttonss

#34 Post by buttonss »

I have only been using inferno (444 MB). Downloaded epdfview via PUPget, but it then said epdfview needs a dependency, and then didn't open.

Are you running inferno as a livecd?

I'm sure the smaller 3.01a will work, but I really want inferno 444MB to work well as a livecd.

Anyone having similar problems?

ttuuxxx

#35 Post by ttuuxxx »

buttonss wrote:I have only been using inferno (444 MB). Downloaded epdfview via PUPget, but it then said epdfview needs a dependency, and then didn't open.

Are you running inferno as a livecd?

I'm sure the smaller 3.01a will work, but I really want inferno 444MB to work well as a livecd.

Anyone having similar problems?
its a bit late tonight to fire-up Inferno, But i will in the morning and get some sort of result for you , ttuuxxx

buttonss

#36 Post by buttonss »

Interesting. I downloaded epdfview from your link above (running Inferno as livecd), and again the pdf would not open.

I used the pupget dependency check and here's the error:

These dependencies required by Epdfview-0.1.5 package are missing:
File /usr/bin/epdfview has these missing library files:
libpoppler-glib.so.1

The PETget package manager does not know what package/s has/have these libraries.

ttuuxxx

#37 Post by ttuuxxx »

buttonss wrote:Interesting. I downloaded epdfview from your link above (running Inferno as livecd), and again the pdf would not open.

I used the pupget dependency check and here's the error:

These dependencies required by Epdfview-0.1.5 package are missing:
File /usr/bin/epdfview has these missing library files:
libpoppler-glib.so.1

The PETget package manager does not know what package/s has/have these libraries.
In that case try this http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... -0.5.3.pup
and then give it a try. This should match your missing libs after that it should work fine
ttuuxxx

buttonss

#38 Post by buttonss »

Tux^2,

The libraries fixed it! File associations working (previously, when you click a pdf link on firefox, there's no default pdf reader).

So, I think this is something to do for Inferno next release.

Another thing: embedded music player in firefox. If you go to www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows and then try and launch one of the streams, it won't play. Clicking the firefox embedded link launches VLC... and then nothing. Reconfiguring the .ra default player to realplayer won't run it either. I suspect this is a problem with firefox and not fire hydrant, but it's just another issue I discovered.

This is already my fav puppy derivative. Good work, ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#39 Post by ttuuxxx »

buttonss wrote:Tux^2,

The libraries fixed it! File associations working (previously, when you click a pdf link on firefox, there's no default pdf reader).

So, I think this is something to do for Inferno next release.

Another thing: embedded music player in firefox. If you go to www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows and then try and launch one of the streams, it won't play. Clicking the firefox embedded link launches VLC... and then nothing. Reconfiguring the .ra default player to realplayer won't run it either. I suspect this is a problem with firefox and not fire hydrant, but it's just another issue I discovered.

This is already my fav puppy derivative. Good work, ttuuxxx
Thanks for that, I love to hear good thing about the work I've done, really its taken me hundreds of hours trying to make this this derivative work properly, from building my own buttons, backgrounds and some icons, then learning how to configure things, then the building and maintaining the website, etc its been a long road and its nice when you get kind words and thanks.:)

as for .ra not working thats a strange thing, Have you tried the embedded media player selector i added to firefox? its in the tools menu and its called "MediaPlayerConnectivity" you can read about it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446
its one of the most amazing addons for Firefox next to fireftp which is that blue snail looking thing up-top on your browser. Anyways the tools menu is fool of fun stuff.
Have a nice day:)
ttuuxxx