Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

Please post any bugs you have found
tronkel

Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

#1 Post by tronkel »

CUPS seems to run OK in Dingo 392.

Seamonkey is fast with its minimal feature list - nice.
Could do with Sylpheed-Claws though, instead of Sylpheed 2.4.7 since the former can make use of gpg encryption.

Alsa sound is a no-goer with this kernel on this hardware here. Alsa is fine with Puppy 3.01 retro.
Alsa setup cannot find the es18xx driver.
Can't get CDW CD writer to work. Could also be due to kernel version.

PetGet system is broken.

I hope a retro version of Dingo becomes available eventually so I can use it on this hardware.

Will be the best Puppy yet when the teething troubles are sorted out.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tempestuous

Re: Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

#2 Post by tempestuous »

tronkel wrote:Could do with Sylpheed-Claws though, instead of Sylpheed 2.4.7
Sylpheed-Claws became Claws Mail, as of December 2006.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:CUPS seems to run OK in Dingo 392.

Seamonkey is fast with its minimal feature list - nice.
Could do with Sylpheed-Claws though, instead of Sylpheed 2.4.7 since the former can make use of gpg encryption.

Alsa sound is a no-goer with this kernel on this hardware here. Alsa is fine with Puppy 3.01 retro.
Alsa setup cannot find the es18xx driver.
Can't get CDW CD writer to work. Could also be due to kernel version.

PetGet system is broken.

I hope a retro version of Dingo becomes available eventually so I can use it on this hardware.

Will be the best Puppy yet when the teething troubles are sorted out.
Ah, yes, that's a OSS sound driver? I left those out of the cutdown zdrv file, but I can put them back in if there is demand.

PETget will not work yet, as I haven't uploaded the new packages to ibiblio. That won't happen until the beta (or even the final).

Claws -- can it use Bogofilter for filtering? Last time I looked, a year ago or thereabouts, it used a different filtering system written in Perl, that I was unable to get working properly. I posted criticisms to their mail-list about that at the time, hope they have moved to Bogofilter.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

For alpha3 I'll drop CDW, DKOP and Grafburn, use zigbert's Pburn instead. Apart from avoiding the confusion of so many CD/DVD burning apps, that may not work properly, the projects are all dead. Well, Nathan may be back, but he has so much else to work on, that it is great zigbert is getting involved -- initial feedback on Pburn is positive.

Grab Pburn and test it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Yes, this new cutdown SeaMonkey does seem to start faster. I've got a fairly fast CPU and the previous SeaMonkey also starts fast, in 1-2 seconds, so it's difficult for me to visually see the difference, it just seems that little bit faster. It will be interesting if there is a noticeable improvement on older hardware, where SeaMonkey startup times are measured in several seconds.

raffy

graphics

#6 Post by raffy »

There has been early dislike of the added size due to gtkmm libs, inkscape and gparted. IMHO, these can be packaged as add-ons.

I was looking for Xpaint for simple drawing, and came across these Linux Standard Base downloads. Maybe it's a good list of "basic" packages to start with.
http://www.linux-foundation.org/download/
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

I acidentally left out the cutdown codecs package for mplayer. It's attached. This will be in the final Puppy, and there will be a full codecs PET package available to be installed.

If there's anything else really essential that needs to be added to this basic package let me know. However, it cannot cover all media files, that will need the full package. I would like the live-cd to handle the most common media files as-is without needing an extra package.

Note, mplayer does have one strange behaviour, which is probably something to do with JWM. Sometimes the video window does not display, only the control-panel window, or sometimes vice-versa. They are both there though, and you have to right-click on the panel and drag it into view. This would seem to be a window manager bug, just like JWM sometimes displays windows off the top of the screen.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: graphics

#8 Post by BarryK »

raffy wrote:There has been early dislike of the added size due to gtkmm libs, inkscape and gparted. IMHO, these can be packaged as add-ons.
I have many times repeated that Puppy alphas are for testing new packages and ideas and do not necessarily represent what will be in the final. Inkscape was included for testing, and the final will most likely have GParted statically compiled with gtkmm and Inkscapelite (as in previous puppies), with the full gtkmm libraries and full Inkscape as PET packages (again, as in previous puppies).
Even though I keep emphasising this when I release an alpha, and I especially emphasise it when the alpha is somewhat more experimental, some people do not get the picture, are not in the spirit of it, and really should not be involved in testing an alpha.

raffy

mplayer works as is

#9 Post by raffy »

I've thrown a number of common video files at alpha2 and all ran well, mov, mpg, mp4, flv, wmv... edit: avi, too
Last edited by raffy on Tue 27 Nov 2007, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

linuxcbon

#10 Post by linuxcbon »

Boot takes too much time when copying to RAM.
Auto DHCP doesn't setup DNS address.
Screen refreshing rate too low.
Video wizard icons missing.
Xvesa lags when displaying, moving windows, scrolling etc.
When resizing mplayer, it disappears in the corner.
Mplayer doesn't play video double, full size but always same size.
Codecs missing for mplayer.
Mp4, 3gp, midi etc formats not recognized as sound, videos (no programs associated).
For Hardinfo : /usr/lib/libz.so missing

Henry

Claws-Mail

#11 Post by Henry »

These mail clients from Japan do have odd names . . but I vote for Claws over Sylpheed. I have been testing it from Slaptget. It's not much larger than Sylpheed and easily as fast and more flexible.. This package is complete and not neutered like some. It has the best implementation of GPG I've seen. (The complete Sylpheed can send mail encrypted by GPG but cannot decrypt inline mail so no good for me.)

alienjeff

#12 Post by alienjeff »

BarryK wrote:PETget will not work yet, as I haven't uploaded the new packages to ibiblio. That won't happen until the beta (or even the final).
Consider that if this waits for the final, then post-final is when testing gets done.
I acidentally left out the cutdown codecs package for mplayer ... it cannot cover all media files, that will need the full package.
And proprietary codecs.
...some people do not get the picture, are not in the spirit of it, and really should not be involved in testing an alpha.
Now that's the spirit! Way to rally the troops!
Last edited by alienjeff on Tue 27 Nov 2007, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

raffy

printing, bareview and claws

#13 Post by raffy »

Tempestuous has experience building Claws-mail.

Printing to HP1300 network printer goes well. At the start of the add printer dialogue, the interface correctly identified the port and printer (HP1300N at USB port #1), so I wonder why it still asks the user for make and model numbers. :) Also, the security warning may be removed, as it always shows when CUPS is started. [This is something for the CUPS interface designers.]

Both Abiword and PDFviewer were able to do printing, this time as HP printer (as identified during the setup), no longer as "generic printer". But the "Generic printer" entry is still there. Also the "print-to-PDF" printer.

Would someone be able to explain the usefulness of the "generic printer"?

When I stopped to view TOP, 2 instances of bareview were each eating above 80% of RAM, which I understand to be the (1) CUPS browser window and the (2) printing status window.

Re printing status: as printing takes time, could gxmessage display something like "Please wait, the CUPS minister has taken your command and has just passed it to the printer cavalry". :D Maybe it's a good idea to come up with a "messages" file that the user can edit (must be good for translation as well as humor).

Re NTFS, when I mounted one NTFS partition, it displayed a red window saying "illegal option --i". Despite this, the NTFS partition was opened read-only. My take on this: leave NTFS alone (just read it, don't write on it), and use extra HD space through Gparted. Using NTFS and coping with its idiosyncracies is a waste of time, IMHO.

Colors of dialogue boxes: the bright red box of the NTFS dialogue as well as the dark blue box of the CUPS dialogue were quite distracting in a desktop, so perhaps some lighter colors could be used?

Thanks for the fun testing 4alpha2. :)

EDIT: Wrong timing for the shots, AJ. Get started with a project so we could perhaps give shots your way, too, though its nature would be different. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

cb88

#14 Post by cb88 »

Barry i was able to get hooked up to the net with 4.00 alpha BUT seamonkey devoured and sucked away the very life out of my 64 mb ram.

i was able to use pidgin so that is good.... dillo would be nice

i started up most of the apps with no prob except mplayer still some kinks like sometime the windows open off screen and it locked up X when launched from the menu sometimes

mplayer is still locking up my big PC so not a speed thing

are you not starting it with gmplayer?

is there any way to prevent mplayer from opening again if you click on a new file...?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Kal

#15 Post by Kal »

I could not get mplayer to start from the main menu, it just locked up. So I changed the "Exec=exec gmplayer" in the mplayer.desktop file at /usr/share/applications to read "Exec=rox /usr/bin/mplayershell" instead and did a fixmenus, all is well now.

Good Luck, Kal
Last edited by Kal on Wed 28 Nov 2007, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

CHLee

#16 Post by CHLee »

Barry , can not start the Xwindow after I add the .fonts directory in /root .
The .fonts directory was symbol link to /home/fonts directory . My pup_save.sf2 is in /had2 ( ext2 fs) .
The fonts directory content only have one font file (fireflysung.ttf) .
I use the Rox-Filer to make the symbol link , after making the symbol link,
the seamonkey can not start . Then I reboot the puppy-3.92-seamonkey
live CD , the result is Xwindow can not start . I remove the .fonts symbol link and type xwin , the Xwindow return normal .
I use this method to add fonts file since Puppy 1.08 to 3.01 , it work very good . I enjoy Puppy linux very much , thinks !

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:Boot takes too much time when copying to RAM.
Auto DHCP doesn't setup DNS address.
I have no trouble with it.
Screen refreshing rate too low.
Xvesa lags when displaying, moving windows, scrolling etc.
yes, we have always known that. alpha2 is a build with xvesa, so that's the way it is.
Video wizard icons missing.
You mean the "X Server Chooser Wizard". That shouldn't even be there, as this build dosn't have the full Xorg servers. I've now removed it.
When resizing mplayer, it disappears in the corner.
Mplayer doesn't play video double, full size but always same size.
Codecs missing for mplayer.
Mp4, 3gp, midi etc formats not recognized as sound, videos (no programs associated).
yes, there is a resizing problem. Okay, I may have to update some media file formats in Rox. JWM has a problem with displaying mplayer windows, I'll get onto Joe, the author about this.
For Hardinfo : /usr/lib/libz.so missing
Err, I don't find this problem. I tested with 'ldd /usr/bin/hardinfo' and it needs /lib/libz.so.1, which is there.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

cb88 wrote:
mplayer is still locking up my big PC so not a speed thing

are you not starting it with gmplayer?

is there any way to prevent mplayer from opening again if you click on a new file...?
I'm using a script, /usr/bin/mplayershell, to start mplayer. This is supposed to detect any special situations. Yes, gmplayer is used. The script could detect if mplayer already running then not start another instance ...but would everyone want that? or, I suppose the old instance could just be killed.

tronkel

Seamonkey startup

#19 Post by tronkel »

On my ancient pre-2000 hardware here (400MHz AMD 192MB RAM), Puppy's built-in Seamonkey was always a slow starter (and also slow in browsing).

The versions downloaded direct from Mozilla were always a bit faster and even more so with the latest version 1.1.6.

The new cut-down Seamonkey is even faster to the extent that it is about twice as fast on startup times as the previous built-in versions 1.1.2 to 1.1.5.

Also, Seamonkey's performance doesn't seem to degrade as much over time, as is the case with the the later versions of Firefox., even if the browser is left running for an extended period. Has Seamonkey cured
the supposed "memory-leak problems" whereas Firefox has failed to do so?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Raffy wrote:
Re NTFS, when I mounted one NTFS partition, it displayed a red window saying "illegal option --i". Despite this, the NTFS partition was opened read-only. My take on this: leave NTFS alone (just read it, don't write on it), and use extra HD space through Gparted. Using NTFS and coping with its idiosyncracies is a waste of time, IMHO.
Raffy, did you use pmount to mount that partition? I looked at the /bin/mount script and cannot see any way that a '--i' parameter can be there. So, I'm wondering if you tried to mount it some other way. But, as you got that red window it means the mount script did run -- but, the mount script screens out all passed parameters that start with a '-', so I'm puzzled.