Touchpad tap not working Puppy-216

Please post any bugs you have found
wdef

Touchpad tap not working Puppy-216

#1 Post by wdef »

No obvious errors in Xorg.0.log..

But touchpad tapping is not working in lieu of a left-click.

This is on a HP dv4000 series laptop.

Something missing from Xorg.conf to enable this?

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

I tune my xorg.conf like this for touchpad:

Option "MaxTapTime" "225"
Option "MaxTapMove" "225"

First one is tap, second is "double tap lock" for moving windows.

also like this right now:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.20"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.25"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.010"

Everyone is going to like it a bit different I think.

Was also going to try to observe this with different resolutions to see if it made a change to behaviour in itself.

*note. If you remaster the wizard, there are TWO places where you change that. Originally I did a quich search and just changed the first. It didn't work :oops:

wdef

#3 Post by wdef »

did it.

Puppy had MaxTapTime set to 0.

That saved me some man page wading, thanks.

Should Puppy's auto running of xorgwizard during boot set this up by itself though?

Tapping worked fine in previous Puppies.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The problem is that "tapping" drove some of us nuts. On my laptop, it is too sensitive, if my fingers get accidentally onto the touchpad, odd things suddenly happen. So I think Dougal and kirk configured the Wizard with that in mind.

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

Remember I mentioned the tapping was too sensitive when you were building 2.x?

I think you'll find that with the Synaptic driver loaded tapping is ok again and one doesn't get as many "random clicks" while moving the cursor.

Not that I'm advocating a change, everyone is going to end up liking something different (I had to change speed and acceleration myself to get it like I like [still working on it]).

Just wanted to make sure you gave it a second chance with the new drivers. I find it's much nicer to give a thump on the pad sometimes instead of listening to the click of the button. The button will wear out eventually also, so I thump for now.

wdef

#6 Post by wdef »

I agree - tapping is more controlled with the synaptics driver.

I don't seem to need to change any other touchpad settings (though I spent a lot of time getting these right with Fedora).

Tapping worked out of the box without the synaptics driver too (no scrolling though), but I agree it did lack control - esp with the earlier rox version I found windows flying open seemingly by themselves. It was very annoying. That improved when I tried one of the newer rox-2.5 packages, configured differently I suppose.

In 2.16, there's no control problem at all with tapping.

Since I tend to thump my notebook keyboard like Leon Russell in the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour, tapping reduces a lot of wear on the left click pad (and my wrists).

dcg

"Touchpad on Acer"

#7 Post by dcg »

I am an old man but pretty new to puppy.I have been troubled with
nonfunctioning Acer touchpad, and thanks to reading your posts the
problem is solved.Thanks again to John Doe, wdef, and of course B.
Kauler and all administrators.
Thanks Kindly....dcg

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:The problem is that "tapping" drove some of us nuts. On my laptop, it is too sensitive, if my fingers get accidentally onto the touchpad, odd things suddenly happen. So I think Dougal and kirk configured the Wizard with that in mind.
What is driving me nuts for the moment is the Touchpad itself.
Having a Thinkpad R40 with a trackpoint, touchpad is interfering and I would like to disable it.

Only thing I found to do that is the syndaemon an synclient for the synaptic driver.

As far as I can see it isn't implemented in Puppy.

Could this be done?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

laptopnewbee

#9 Post by laptopnewbee »

and now i know how to kill that annoying thing on my laptop while in puppy.

edit:
now that i have read the rest of the thread i can offer a suggestion for anyone who wants to disable the pointer control. because i sometimes lose function of my usb mouse due to other usb devices causing issues, it turns out that the ability to fall back to the touch pad for mousing is useful. i'm currently looking for a bit of plastic that i can make into a decent looking cover for the pad. this will prevent stray fingers from activating it in error.
so much to learn, so late a start.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

This http://www.debuntu.org/2006/06/25/70-ho ... ile-typing seems to be a solution, but synclient and syndaemon aren't implemented.
Time savers:

laptopnewbee

#11 Post by laptopnewbee »

Béèm wrote: This http://www.debuntu.org/2006/06/25/70-ho ... ile-typing seems to be a solution, but synclient and syndaemon aren't implemented.
looks like something to tinker with if the software can be put in place. now to figure out where to get it if it's not already there.
so much to learn, so late a start.

Béèm

#12 Post by Béèm »

No this syndaemon and synclient are not in Puppy.
I did a search. I don't know if they can be compiled separately or that they have to be included in a kernel compile.

Nobody seems to be able to answer questions about this.
Time savers:

lgoldstar

#13 Post by lgoldstar »

Just upgraded to 3.01 and lost touchpad functionality. This solution worked great and everything is back to normal.

Keep up the great work on this excellent distro!

-L

Swarup

#14 Post by Swarup »

John Doe wrote:I tune my xorg.conf like this for touchpad:

First one is tap, second is "double tap lock" for moving windows.
I made these above changes in my xorg.conf, but my touchpad tap still hasn't started working. Any ideas what else I could try? I use a year 1999 Gateway 9300 laptop.

Aitch

#15 Post by Aitch »

Aitch wrote:Hi darkman

Try typing in a console:-

modprobe evdev

and then restart x-server from the shutdown entry in menu (menu button).

If the track pad starts working after the "modprobe evdev" command, then evdev module is not being loaded at startup.
Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local in a text editor and check to see if the last line of the file is:"modprobe evdev". If it is not, then enter it.

There was a recent post
Ray MK wrote:Try this - it works on both my laptops.

Go to - /root/etc/X11/xorg.conf --- Scroll way down to

Where it says Option MaxTapTime

the setting now is probably set to 0 --- change the setting to 220

Save the file and exit - Magic - mouse tap function works

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Mouse"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "220" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.10"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.30"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0030"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
#Option "Repeater" "/dev/ps2mouse"
EndSection

Hope that does it - regards Ray MK
Good Luck

Aitch
Pizzasgood wrote:If running modprobe evdev again and then restarting the X server fixes it again, you just need to edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add that command to the end of it. That way the command will be run every time you boot, before X is started.

You should be able to tweak the sensitivity by changing the numbers in xorg.conf that Aitch referenced. The important ones look like "MinSpeed", "MaxSpeed", and "AccelFactor". Then restart the X server to check.

May be a good idea to make a backup copy of xorg.conf before tweaking it, and then make another after you're finished (so you don't need to remember exactly what you changed).
Aitch:)

Swarup

#16 Post by Swarup »

Aitch wrote:Hi darkman

Try typing in a console:-

modprobe evdev

and then restart x-server from the shutdown entry in menu (menu button).
That fixed my problem. :)
Aitch wrote: If the track pad starts working after the "modprobe evdev" command, then evdev module is not being loaded at startup.
Ah, I see now. So that's why it wasn't working. :)
Aitch wrote:Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local in a text editor and check to see if the last line of the file is:"modprobe evdev". If it is not, then enter it.
It is already there! So what do I do now???
Aitch wrote:
Pizzasgood wrote:If running modprobe evdev again and then restarting the X server fixes it again, you just need to edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add that command to the end of it. That way the command will be run every time you boot, before X is started.
Aitch:)
My problem is solved-- for this session. But what about the future? The line "modprobe evdev" is already present where I was supposed to add it. So how am I going to get this thing to load properly when it is not loading despite being present where it is supposed to be?

Swarup

#17 Post by Swarup »

Well, I've just rebooted-- and the touchpad is still working! Whyever it may be, but now the problem is solved. Thanks loads!! :)

Aitch

#18 Post by Aitch »

But what about the future? The line "modprobe evdev" is already present where I was supposed to add it. So how am I going to get this thing to load properly when it is not loading despite being present where it is supposed to be?
...is answered by your next statement, sorry forgot to add -reboot
Well, I've just rebooted-- and the touchpad is still working!
& BTW,
Thanks loads!!
you're welcome, enjoy

Aitch
Edit: removed request to edit subject line, as you weren't thread originator

somepup

#19 Post by somepup »

Maybe this is old news by now but the modprobe evdev command got my touchpad tapping (Dell Latitude) without having to add lines to a file (on ttuuxxx's 2.14X) and made me very happy (I wasn't having a great day :)).

somepup

somepup

#20 Post by somepup »

Yes, please ignore previous post.

After a rebuild it took a change of MaxTapTime in xorg.conf from 0 to 225 to get the touchpad working.