TESTERS NEEDED FOR CHURCHPUP BETA

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Subito Piano

TESTERS NEEDED FOR CHURCHPUP BETA

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

ChruchPup has gone BETA -- BUT we really would appreciate you seasoned Puppy lovers to try it out and look for any nasty bugs! If you would like to help, visit the ChurchPup home page, download a copy, and report how it runs on your machine at the ChurchPup forum.

Thank you!
Last edited by Subito Piano on Mon 19 Nov 2007, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Hey dude - do you think we could have a list of what in the end makes Churchpup different? Or is there one somewhere already?
Also, it might be helpful if you changed the title of the post to "Churchpup beta - TESTERS NEEDED!!", so it is clear what it is about :):)

Subito Piano

#3 Post by Subito Piano »

Not sure i can change the title of the post at this point--??!?! Anyway, the home page has a link to the full announcement and list of included software.

I hope you like it! Of course, the main point is that we need testers, whether or not they will use this particular derivative. It's a big one, for sure, :shock: but a "lite" version is in the works.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Ah - thanks.
BTW yes you should be able to change the title - I just mentioned that because some people actually don't click on topics with obscure titles on principle.

Subito Piano

#5 Post by Subito Piano »

Gotit - thanks for the tip.

LOF

#6 Post by LOF »

Just to repeat what Subito asked. We just want some testers who are willing to report any bugs you find. We don't really mind if you aren't going to support the project in any other way but we want to get a fully functioning stable release out there.

Thanks in advance to all those who test.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]
:D

PrairieDog

Regarding ChurchPup Testers

#7 Post by PrairieDog »

Morning Everyone!
Subito Piano wrote:It's a big one, for sure,
Just a few words of advice to anyone who wants to take ChurchPup for a spin, I'm going to say that 512 megs of ram and a swap partition is minimum for system requirements on the big ChurchPup. (I guess I've said that before haven't I?) It's at it's best when installed to the hard drive but runs just fine in ram on 512m+swap.
The package choices are good ones I think. LOF is trying to design an all-in one tool for christian workers in many areas of service.

I'm hoping to slim it down before the final version but we wanted folks to try out these package choices and figure out what is really useful to them. For instance do you need java for the browser or just for BibleDesktop? Do we want to keep both media players or lose one? Please be specific about your bug reports and let us know something about the machine you're running it on. Walk in love today.

Blessed are the merciful

Mark

thegoldenstrand

Taking Chuchpup for a spin...

#8 Post by thegoldenstrand »

mplayer for linux will not allow me to see more than whatever resolution dvd is sending out.. no filling of 1920X1080 screen,

so if 240P.. I get video on about 1/7th of screen size, the other one..VLC has no volume. toyed with both for about ten minutes.. no luck.. so.. not exactly working or plug and play imo..

Browser works great, but think lower filter would be good idea that you can always strengthen.. blocked newegg, etc.. for orders.. initially .. even anandtech.

Why not include Gxine player?

Mike

PrairieDog

RE: Media players

#9 Post by PrairieDog »

Hello thegoldenstrand,

The problem with full screen video is pretty common with mplayer There is an easy fix that works on some,but not all ,hardware. Otherwise I would have preconfigured it that way. Care to give it a try? You may have heard this one:

open /root/.mplayer/gui.conf in a text editor and change line 2 from

vo_driver = "x11" to
vo_driver = "xv"

Save it,then try mplayer again. This provides full screen video on one of my machines but not on the other. It's an idea anyway.

Believe me I would much prefer to use Gxine, It's my all time favorite. But it had a tendency of freezing up when resizing the window or going to full screen in Puppy 301 that Churchpup is based on.The problem was still there with an early unleashed version of Churchpup and well documented on the forum,so I decided to try other options. Let us know if the full screen fix works for you.

On VLC did you have no sound at all or not enough volume? I ask because I have the latter.

About the content filter, I haven't tried it much personally. It wouldn't let me go to ttuuxxx.com so i turned it off. It was intended as an optional filter if children had access to the computer. It's under Tools>Addons>Extensions in the main toolbar if you want to disable it or configure it.

Before the final version <joke>(or should I say the "Gamma" version, why not use the 22 other letters of the greek alphabet?) </joke> I'll look at the media player issue again. Maybe Xine ui or something else is worth checking out. Ideas Welcome.... Thanks for taking Churchpup for a spin!

The Lord reigns!

Mark

Subito Piano

#10 Post by Subito Piano »

ProCon is the only workable filter we have, but i must say personally i like it, and it's getting better. Look carefully at the options and adjust accordingly. Enabling the whitelist and the right-clicking options should help. At home i use no password (i mean, i can get around my own password!) but it gives me a heads-up about possible nasty websites before i see something i'd rather not. A little comain whitelisting can perhaps go a long way after a while. At school i have it password-protected. It's not exactly CyberSitter, but at least it helps protect innocent eyes AND you can block sites you decide to.

KF6SNJ

#11 Post by KF6SNJ »

I will be testing ChurchPup 3.01 Beta tomorrow after church and before harmonica practice. My primary concern is audio. If it can detect my audio right away (which LighthousePup did), then I will likely go ahead and upgrade. Otherwise, just another puppy option for me to share with others. Either way, its a win-win situation.

8)
The only windows I have are those on my home.

KF6SNJ

#12 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am testing ChurchPup Beta right now. I am using the Dillo web browser for this post. I must say that from what I have seen, this is very impressive. So far, everything works perfectly. I still think we could do without the winecfg, but perhaps I may have use for it when I begin to study Greek. I will post again after I attempt to install. I don't know, but it seems to me that we may potentially have something that is ready to become a release candidate already. Very impressive so far.

PrairieDog

testing ChurchPup

#13 Post by PrairieDog »

A kind and generous assessment Christopher! We at ChurchPup HQ thank you for your time.
I'm making some changes and fixes ,working toward a "final" or "RC1" or "gamma" version right now, The one I'm running at the moment weighs in at around 375 megs for the iso. It's looking good, but I need to OK the changes with the project leadership.

I can do all things in him that strengthens me

Mark

eccentric

Church pup

#14 Post by eccentric »

Hello,
Thanks for Church pup, but without PPPoE i like many others cannot access the internet. did you leave this out or have i missed it.

Michael an eccentric English gentleman.

P.S I am running 301a seamonkey to write to you.

Subito Piano

#15 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! So glad to see all these comments :) -- but i'm thinking, umm, the forum is at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23355. :? Now, I do NOT want to discourage anyone who has been so kind as to get involved in this, but might i suggest we leave comments there rather than on this page so everyone interested in the project is "on the same page?" I think this would help everyone to see everyone else's experiences, offer suggestions and help, etc.

Thanks for your help! :D Please do continue to test it and post your results.

ttuuxxx

Gxine

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

well as Gxine and puppy goes i personally think its a no go, Gxine has had major problems with Puppy 3.0 series and i stay away from it, but what does work is Xine, which is basically the base for Gxine. Xine works fine, i have used it in my previous Fire Hydrants without any problems reported. Plus you can get plugins, skins, addons, etc for it. Also Mplayer has been voted the best linux player of the year, I like Mplayer but i prefer Xine or VLC, since VLC can play some windows media streams straight out of the box. If you wanted to test the media players, try out my Fire Hydrant "Inferno" it has 5 media players, lol I just couldn't make up my mind, lol
www.ttuuxxx.com

PrairieDog

#17 Post by PrairieDog »

eccentric wrote:Hello,
Thanks for Church pup, but without PPPoE i like many others cannot access the internet. did you leave this out or have i missed it.

Michael an eccentric English gentleman.

P.S I am running 301a seamonkey to write to you.
Oh No!! I forgot PPPOE. Just an oversight,Michael,and I'm glad you caught it. I guess you really couldn't miss it if you use pppoe!

The pet package at Ibiblioftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... tched2.pet
should install OK but I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance. (Getting ready for work right now)

I will rejoice in the God of my salvation

Mark

PS.That's confirmed Michael It does install. I was worried I had messed up the packages.txt file somehow but it seems OK. I'm unable to test it right away as I'm on dialup right now.I'll test it at home after work I have no idea what time that will be where you are but I'll keep you posted.

PrairieDog

Re: Gxine

#18 Post by PrairieDog »

ttuuxxx wrote: it has 5 media players, lol I just couldn't make up my mind
I hear you Brother!